1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

eHarmony Is Not Christian

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Martin, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Newsflash for those who have believed otherwise...eHarmony is not a Christian organization. According to recent reports the dating service has caved into cultural pressures and is launching a homosexual dating service.

This news should not come as a major surprise to anyone however. Why? Because eHarmony has made a business out of selling "dating" to anyone (Christian or not). I am not trashing "dating" sites, just eHarmony. If they would have marketed themselves as a "Christian" dating site they could have avoided these problems. However Mr. Warren and the other folks at eHarmony thought it was more profitable for them to appeal to everyone in the culture (ie...love of money). Now the problems that come with the larger culture have confronted the folks at eHarmony and instead of standing up for the truth they gave in. They are now going to profit off of other people's sin, provide a place for people to engage in sin, and promote sin. Shame on eHarmony!

No Christian should provide this shameful company any business.

Baptistpress story HERE.

#1 Martin, Nov 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2008
  2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I hadn't realized they were originally Christian oriented.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's not that they caved. They were taken to court and lost from my understanding. :(

from http://www.philly.com/philly/news/b..._settles_with_N_J__over_same-sex_matches.html

Honestly, I'd move the company to another state post haste.

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

5. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Well, I should think they are not 'Christian'......

Any site that would take my uncle's application while my dad's sister was dying in a Hospice of cancer and after 50 something years of marriage, does not do a thourogh screening. I visited him several times after my aunt's death: I'll never forget the last disclosure that he had a calendar marked and filled with visits of 'house-guests' from area and out of town..... each period of 2-3 days with a different consort..... and there was no doubt left in my mind regarding any morallity left to him: His only son found the content on his computer during his mom's brief illness and death.... and has had nothing to do with him since.

He did marry within 3 months of his widowhood, and I started visits again.... and she was getting him to go to church, sometimes even with the only family he had left.... us on his dead wife's side: But he made her life miserable and they got a divorce about a year later.... and he already had another old biddy lined up to marry him the day of his divorce!

Dating services may help a few: But I'd never trust them! For one, the Christian dating services screen all people, regardless of age, for income...... $25000 or more/income .... but it is by self-report.... as is most everything. How many people lie? How many good people might be perfect for some, but not meet the criteria in some category. NO THANKS! If a match maker is needed, let it be through mutual friends and relatives, or God, and keep active in organizations and find someone with compatible or complimentary personalitiy (depending upon your tolerance for difference and patience).

My granddad gave me good advice when I was about 7 or 8: 'Daughter, don't you go with bad company: It's better to stay with good company or be alone than to get with bad company. And if you ever find yourself in bad company, ease out just as quickly and quietly as you can..... quick. It is better to be alone than with bad company!" While it sounds like wisdom regarding making friendships.... it is doubly important advice to follow when finding a mate!

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

I wasn't aware they claimed to be christian.

7. TrustingInHim

TrustingInHim New Member

I am single and have been checking out some of these sites for about a year. There are some Christian dating sites that make sure to tell you they are owned and operated by Christians. Realchristiansingles.com is one. Big Church is NOT one of them. I recently found out they were owned by Penthouse Magazine's parent company. Satan must really enjoy that. :( Now Big Church is promoting immoral ads for all their other dating sites on their 'Christian' site. Needless to say that I had some met friends there but I had to discontinue as I was under conviction about staying there any longer.

8. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

There are some dating services that claim to be "Christian". As far as I know eHarmony was never one of them. I would not trust any of them.

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I don't know that they made the claim but they focused on Christian markets such as Focus on the Family, Christianity Today, and other such places. I could be wrong but I think one of their early defenses against the complaint was that they were a Christian company.