1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ehtical, moral, and spiritual dilemma

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by sister christian, May 18, 2008.

?
  1. yes, this poster is still a baptist

20 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. no, this poster is no longer Baptist because of a name change of the church they are in.

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. donnA

donnA Active Member

For the purposes of this board, it means being a member of a baptist church, if a church refuses to be called baptist, is ashamed of possibly being baptist, then they aren't baptist.

2. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

If a person such as you, DonnA, with almost 18000 posts, and a Baptist Board Administrator (I am Blessed 18) are not agreed on who can and who cannot post in the baptist only forums, then how is a new member supposed to understand it?

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

ummm, we are in agreement, only baptists can post in the baptist only section. They do have to actually be baptist though. We've seen RCC's change their info to say baptist so they could post in the baptist only sections.
    If a person is ashamed to be baptist, they aren't a baptist.

4. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm lost too. If one is personally a Baptist in his/her beliefs and attends a Baptist church (though for whatever reason, the church removed the word "Baptist" from their church name), are they not considered a Baptist?

I have many friends who attend Christ Fellowship (formerly known as 1st Baptist Church of Perrine). The church still associates itself with the SBC and they are about as Baptist as you can be (but I still love them).

5. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

My apologies! I must have misunderstood one of you. I thought that "I am Blessed 18" had said that either the poster himself had to be a baptist, or the poster's home church must have "baptist" in the church name. I took what you wrote to mean that, in order to be considered a baptist on this Board, a poster would have to state his denomination as baptist, and be a member of a church that had the word "baptist" in its name:

A random look at some public profiles shows that there are members who give their denomination as baptist, but whose church name does not include that word. For instance, "Church of the Open Door", "Grace Church", "CrossPointe Church". On the other hand, there are members who give things like "I'm a Christian", "Jesus People", and "Christian, a Bible Believer" as their denomination, but their home church name does include the word "baptist."

It may be that in America, some churches do remove the word "baptist" from their names for shame, but as I have said before, over here, there are some solidly baptist church (some of them hundreds of years old) that have never had "Baptist" in their name. Possibly the most well-known would be the Metropolitan Tabernacle in London, where C. H. Spurgeon was pastor.

I don't want to make a mountain ourt of a molehill, though, so I'll end there. :)

6. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

This is correct, David. :)

7. sister christian

So...Spurgeon wouldn't be allowed to post on your board because his church didn't have Baptist in the name?

8. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

You are deliberately ignoring the OR in my explanation.

I cannot explain it any simpler than I already have...

No one is stopping you from posting on this board, but you are a guest here and the owner makes the rules. You are only being stopped from posting in Baptist Only Forums which still leaves a majority of forums where you can post. I suggest you follow the rules and the next time you have a problem with someone...take it private, not in an open forum, or you may find your stay here very short.

#28 I Am Blessed 24, May 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2008