1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Elders from Outside the Local Assembly

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by richard n koustas, Oct 5, 2006.

1. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

The order of events seems to be: the church planters returned to cities where they planted churches, found men within each of the local assemblies that met the qualification of elders (as per letters to Tim and Titus), ordained them, the commended them. Elders (plural) were selected from the local body of believers – not brought in from the outside. I realize that this is very early church history, but when did churches start looking outside the local assemblies for elders?

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very good observation. I suspect when the "church" became more organized (i.e. center of power in Rome) they began to push local assemblies to accept learned men that met the approval of the Bishop.

peace to you:praying:

3. Baptist_Pastor/Theologian

Since the Reformation era... however it is not uncommon for someone to pastor in a city they grew up in therefore it would be similar in that case to the NT. In the NT they did not recognize a distinction in church communities within a city. There was the church in the general region of this particular city. It was as if there was one church, the universal church, and each local was a satellite location for the mother church. In principle that is true today, but we not have corporate structures that are not similar to the NT model. Most churches today are looking for a man with qualifications to pastor that go beyond character and calling, ie education and experience.

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

During the early church era . . . the Patristics . . . aka Church Fathers, were not always from their local congregation. Some were some were not.

Church Planting?

5. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

SHHMS

Super Hired Holy Man Syndrome!

lacy

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

:thumbsup: I'm sure if I took a bit of time, I could come up with at least five jokes about this, but instead for now at least, I'll merely say, "Amen, Brother! Preach on!"

Ed

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    any new thoughts?