1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Electoral College Votes

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by ktn4eg, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Bobby Hamilton

Bobby Hamilton New Member

Also, that's moot. That's why we vote for local and state representatives. The President takes care of the country, not just 5 or 6 states there in. What he does/says when he goes to any state, on a state level, is really out of his control anyways.

My vote counts more when it counts towards the Presidency of the United states, not the Presidency of the electoral college of my state.

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Obviously it would take a major event to trigger passage of a Constitutional amendment to change to a popular vote. The only way I can think of this happening is a very strong third party run and throwing the election into the House without a decision for an extended period beyond inauguration day. I do not think the American people would stand for that happening a second time in this day and age. In that case, in the House, Wyoming would have the same vote as California.

I am not for a strong third party, I am for replacing the two major parties that we have now.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here in NY, NYC has about 1/2 of the population of New York State. So NYC, with Rochester, Buffalo, and Syracuse - all Dem strongholds, will pretty much win elections for the Dems. In fact currently every Statewide office holder is a Democrat. NYC is less than 1% of the land area of NY.

Same thing with the Electoral College - Win, NY City, make a courtesy visit to one Upstate city, and the Dems have 30 some electoral votes in NY.

I agree with KTN, I would like to see proportional representation in the College. Then a 3rd party could actually could win some college votes!

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

We vote for Congressmen and Senators to govern us instead of voting on each issue. That makes us a democratic republic. I cannot see any advantage to the American people by having the electoral college. For example, in New York, the Democrat is going to get the electoral votes most of the time. (sometime I wish you would explain to me how Reagan won the state in 1980) With the popular vote, at least the Republican would get the votes that were cast for him or her.

What do state borders have to do with electing the President? He is the leader of our nation, and it should be a national vote.

5. Bobby Hamilton

Bobby Hamilton New Member

Bingo. Straight Cash

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    as stated before - a candidate campaigns in NYC, DC, SF, Philly, Detroit, and a few other select large cities - and forget about 30 total States or Commonwealth and bam - and you win.
    And you are right - the President should be the leader of the ENTIRE nation - not just a handful of large cities.

As far as Regan - he had the "Regan Democrats"

#26 Salty, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2012