1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ESV ONLY

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Phillip, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    TEACH THE WHOLE WORLD LATIN AGAIN. THAT is the solution. Remember when an "educated" person knew Greek and Latin or couldn't even get INTO college?

That was only 100 years ago! What has happened is the rapid decline of knowledge and character by watering down the standards.

When I went to high school, you took Latin. Now if ANY language is taken, it is usually Spanish. Guess it helps to talk to the pool man or housekeeper.

Vah! Denuone latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.

2. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Dr. Bob, what you are saying is very true.

Many of our high-schools don't even teach Latin because of the lack of qualified teachers.

3. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

The only one here who has this right is Moique. The dutch Bible is the only Bible for the english speaking people of today.

4. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

And if it's not that then it is the Korean KJ Bible, or the Spanish KJ,or something.But I go with the dog. You can't fool dogs.

5. EaglewingIS4031

EaglewingIS4031 New Member

The perfect Bible is yet to come!!!
    For these past 3 score years we have thought that the NASB was the perfect FE Bible and the NIV was the perfect DE Bible. But Alas! in our current century we have been shown the error of our ways that it is possible to make Bibles in between the DE's and FE's. With the "essentialy literal" ESV and the "optimal equivalence" of the HCSB. These are the closest things to the Truth, just as advertised.
    In the not so distant future an English Bible shall be printed combining the best features of the ESV and HCSB. This "essentialy optimal" or "EO" translation shall be the Bible for English speakers for the next 400 years!! [​IMG]

The following chart shows the progression
    FE----------------------------------DE
    NASB----&gt;ESV----&gt;EO&lt;----HCSB&lt;----NIV

Then Shall I be EO only!

[ October 24, 2004, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: EaglewingIS4031 ]

6. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

Gene stands on soapbox...

It is an indictment against the modern church that we do not teach Greek and Hebrew to our young people (and even our adults) in this day and age. Here we can learn from Jews. Jews have Hebrew school for their children, in which they not only learn Jewish cultural customs, but they actually learn Hebrew. If they can do this, we should be able to do so as well, particularly in this age when more and more of us are homeschooling our children. This could even be a wonderful way for giving local seminary students a ministry, even if it was volunteer. I know that learn as much from teaching as I do from studying (in fact, when I teach what I have learned, it helps me codify it in my head and retain it for the future). Upon the completion of their first year of Greek in Bible college or seminary, students could teach Greek in local churches in order to fulfill part of their practicum requirements or community service requirements for graduation.

We forget...Jonathan Edwards' sermons were often followed by listeners who sat with their Greek New Testaments in hand!

7. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Greek and Hebrew should be taught to children while they are learning English speaking and writing. It is much easier to learn it from the beginning. Children can learn six or eight languages and can keep them seperate without difficulty.

While an older person have difficulty learning to "think" in a new language without first translating in their mind to the new word.

Just a thought, if you do wish to teach Greek and/or Hebrew.