1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ESV Receptivity

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by TomVols, Sep 7, 2001.

1. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ransom:
    is the ESV not simply change for the sake of change?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think so. There has been a less than satisfying group of translations over the years (no offense to anybody's one favorite.)

The ASV was accurate, but wooden. The RSV was good, but tended toward liberal. The NASB is good, but difficult reading for many, and does not read smoothly in public. The NIV is too paraphrasic. The ESV has the best chance to be an English Standard, i.e., used most in church.

Yet your point is well taken about ever increasing "upgrades". How many different ways can the same thing be said in English?

And I still prefer the NKJV ;)

[ October 19, 2001: Message edited by: Chris Temple ]

2. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I have the ESV and I find it to be a very good translation. I personally know hebrew and to some extent Biblical Greek (in the process of learning). And I have checked passages that I have already worked on with the original languages and found the ESV to be very close to what I came up with. I do go for a more literal translation since I am a firm believer in maintaining the Word of God. Also I know some of the advisors and translators on the team. One of the reviewers wrote the Greek text book that I am using. I can tell you that all of the members from any of the Concordia institutes believe in translating as literal as possible.

3. Marathon Man

Marathon Man New Member

Gotta confess, I had heard a lot of hype about the ESV, so I went out and bought one this week. I must confess that I'm not disappointed. The translation is a delight to read, as it seems to be a near perfect blend of accuracy with pleasant readability. The layout of the classic reference edition is also very pleasing. The reference system and concordance are, IMHO, quite good for a smaller size Bible.

Overall, I would have to give it 5 stars. This from one who rolled his eyes and said "Not another one" when I first heard about it. You ESV enthusiasts definitely knew what you were talking about.

4. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marathon Man:
    Gotta confess, I had heard a lot of hype about the ESV, so I went out and bought one this week. I must confess that I'm not disappointed. The translation is a delight to read, as it seems to be a near perfect blend of accuracy with pleasant readability. The layout of the classic reference edition is also very pleasing. The reference system and concordance are, IMHO, quite good for a smaller size Bible.

Overall, I would have to give it 5 stars. This from one who rolled his eyes and said "Not another one" when I first heard about it. You ESV enthusiasts definitely knew what you were talking about.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MM:

I agree with you. I have been using it for my devotional reading and lesson prep. I read through I Kings and 2 Samuel and found it ultra-clear and reverent.

I'm looking forward to see the translation in a study format, preferably R.C. SProul's Reformation Study Bible. But that study Bible being from Thomas Nelson, I doubt they'd abandon the NKJV!

5. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I personally am waiting for the Concordia Self-Study version of the ESV. Which if my information is correct is due out sometime next fall.

6. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by godmetal:
    I personally am waiting for the Concordia Self-Study version of the ESV. Which if my information is correct is due out sometime next fall.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had not heard that - what are the features of that version? it sounds (gasp) Lutheran!
    ;)

7. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Gee I wonder why, it sounds Lutheran ;) . BTW I am Lutheran I just started reading this board to see what the KJVonly cult was saying about the ESV. Right now all I can say for sure is that the ESV will contain commentary written by LCMS theologeans. I am not sure if it is going to differ from the Self study that comes in the NIV by CPH. So I will base the rest of what to expect from he NIV selfstudy. It has a break down of each book in outline form. A brief statement from Luther's works about the book. Statements on how God's grace is demonstrated in each book. Plus a brief historical outlook of the time period the book was written. It also included the standard reference materials (center column, concordance, etc.)

8. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by godmetal:
    Gee I wonder why, it sounds Lutheran ;) . BTW I am Lutheran I just started reading this board to see what the KJVonly cult was saying about the ESV. Right now all I can say for sure is that the ESV will contain commentary written by LCMS theologeans. I am not sure if it is going to differ from the Self study that comes in the NIV by CPH. So I will base the rest of what to expect from he NIV selfstudy. It has a break down of each book in outline form. A brief statement from Luther's works about the book. Statements on how God's grace is demonstrated in each book. Plus a brief historical outlook of the time period the book was written. It also included the standard reference materials (center column, concordance, etc.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds good; I'll look for it (I can ignore the Lutheran errors :D just like I do the Presbyterian ones when I read my New Geneva ;) )

9. DocCas

DocCas New Member

I am bumping this back to the top. I locked the other thread in the non Baptist section of the board, and moved it here. I have also given godmetal permission to post on these two threads, but limited those posts to the ESV and things pertaining to that new version. [​IMG]