1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

esword vs. quick verse

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by BroChris, Feb 11, 2004.

1. BroChris

BroChris Member

Has anybody used Parson's Quick Verse? How does the free E-Sword software compare to it?

2. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

The last Quickverse version worth using in my opinion is version 4.0. I've been using Quickverse 4.0 since it first came out.

But I find I am using E-Sword more and more - You absolutely cannot beat the price.

3. Reformed Baptist

Reformed Baptist New Member

Hi guys…. I have used QV 3 for quite a long time, and I have QV 7 Deluxe, and have just been using E-sword for a short while…. For really quick searches, I have relied on QV3 despite having ver 7 and several other Bible programs, it has a very simple interface and works very well for quick searches, and I suppose I have just become very comfortable with this program. And I like the formatting when copying and pasting. For instance, a passage looks like this (see below) when using the “copy formatted” right click when on a passage that you have either highlighted with your mouse and then right clicked on the highlighted area (the quickest), or that you have selected by going to the “copy formatted” choice in the top menu after highlighting a passage with your mouse:

(Rom 5:1-2 NNAS) Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, {2} through whom also we have obtained our introduction by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we exult in hope of the glory of God.”

E-sword come pretty close to this, by choosing “copy verses” when right clicking on the highlighted text:
    Rom 5:1-2 NLT Therefore, since we have been made right in God's sight by faith, we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us. (2) Because of our faith, Christ has brought us into this place of highest privilege where we now stand, and we confidently and joyfully look forward to sharing God's glory.”
    There is one added step, in E-sword after clicking on “copy verses” another dialogue box appears, and you have 6 choices as to how the formatting ought to look after it is pasted. Choice number 6 is my personal preference, just because it is what I am most used to seeing I suppose, but both programs have numerous choices as to how you want the pasted material to appear. E-Swords is a little bit easier to get to, as you have a choice every time to paste, while QV has to be changed in the clipboard options, and then the formatting is just carried out automatically after that time.

QV’s window has more display options (so far anyway, I am still in the learning curve for E-Sword), you can have all translations (I have the NNAS, NASB, RSV, NRSV, KJV, NKJV, and the NIV with notes from Ryrie, the Believer’s Study Bible [Criswell], Matthew Henry abridged, and Scofield’s notes, and Strong’s) open at the same time, and if synchronized you can see the passage easily and clearly in numerous translations. Of course, if you open too many then you will only see a verse or 2 in each translation due to each window being pretty small.

It looks like E-Swords version of this allows a max of 4 versions at a time when you click the Parallel tab, and a feature of E-Sword’s I do not like is that each version appears in a grid, so that if you highlight it, and copy and paste, then you end up with

3 And not only3440 this, but we also2532 exult2744 in our tribulations2347 , knowing that tribulation2347 brings2716 about2716 perseverance5281 ; 3 Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;
    3 And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; 3 We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they are good for us--they help us learn to endure.
    4 and perseverance5281 , proven1382 character1382 ; and proven1382 character1382 , hope1680 ; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope.
    4 and perseverance, character; and character, hope. 4 And endurance develops strength of character in us, and character strengthens our confident expectation of salvation.
    5 and hope1680 does not disappoint , because3754 the love26 of God2316 has been poured out within1722 our hearts2588 through1223 the Holy40 Spirit4151 who was given1325 to us. 5 And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.
    5 Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

Christ in Our Place
    5 And this expectation will not disappoint us. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love.

….. without knowing which translation is which. On the other hand, QV does not offer the choice to copy multiple versions simultaneously at all. QV has the option of more versions displayed at the same time, but E-Sword has the option of copying multiple version, despite the shortcomings in the formatting.

Of course, most of this may only matters if you are suffering from some form of obsessive compulsive behavior problems, like I am!! LOL!!

At any rate, E-sword is free, as well as having more translations available via the import tool, which I just love, due especially to my growing preference for the ESV versions, though both have the NASB with Strong’s numbers which is also important to me. Not only am I leaning more and more towards E-Sword despite having QV3 and 7, I also have WordSearch’s ESV/KJV version with the Jonathan Edwards package add on, LOGOS with many many add on modules (Sproul vol.1, MacArthur Study Bible, E-4, Nelson’s Electronic Library, and several others), the NIV Bible Study Edition, NIV with the Expositors set, and the PC Study Bible Advanced Reference Library; so I have sampled several Bible software progs.

For fast verse or passage searches, it looks like E-Sword is going to be tough to beat, and since it is free, it would edge out QV anyway, since they are so close in so many other categories. And I would still use either QV or ESword for the fast searches over LOGOS, PC Study Bible or QV7, etc., but to get these one has to pay a great deal of money; i.e. PC Study Bible, $500.00; LOGOS has probably $7-800 total in add-ons, QV7Deluxe, $270.00. Of course, these Bible software packages were designed for a much more in-depth study, so they can hardly be faulted for not doing what they were not really meant to do at the outset.

All in all, I do not think that there is anything that QV3 is capable of that E-Sword cannot also do. …..

caveat: I am not familiar with any of the other QV progs than the ones listed, all I can do is share out of my limited experience.

Blessings

4. Reformed Baptist

Reformed Baptist New Member

BTW, I cannot believe I have not mentioned this before, so Mods, please don't shoot me for posting this in the freeware area too.... but there is another free software package out there that is absolutely fantastic. It is from the E-4 group. Who is the "E-4 Group"? Its simply a man and his family, not a megachurch organization, or a big company. The ministry of the Brown family in making this stuff available is simply amazing. (And no, I do not work for them, know them, or get any thing for recommending them. I have the E-4 cd [and love it!], and that is it)

Here are a few recommendations/blurbs from their site:

Endorsements

JERRY BRIDGES - Author of Pursuit of Holiness
    “This free CD will provide a solid foundation in the great truths of the Christian faith. I highly recommend it!”
    J. I. PACKER - Author of Knowing God
    “This free CD will be enormously helpful to pastors and lay leaders everywhere. I commend it with great enthusiasm!”
    D. JAMES KENNEDY - Pastor & author of Evangelism Explosion
    “These books have shaped the thinking and preaching of ministers and millions of lay-people.”
    R. C. SPROUL - Author of The Holiness of God
    “A true classic not only stands the test of time, but also serves two vital purposes. It instructs and it inspires. A classic points us outward to our evocative God and we respond in awe and worship. This free CD puts such classics at your fingertips and then into your heart.”

There is no technical support

Only one CD per family

You can only order for yourself (friends and secretaries cannot order for you)

You cover the $7.95 shipping (obviously our family cannot afford to cover the shipping for thousands of CDs)

Agree to tell three other Christians about the free CD by email, flyer or verbally

Not too bad!! Especially since you get the following:

Greek New Testament (Textus Receptus)
    Retail $14.95
    Parsed with Strongs Numbers The Textus Receptus - or the "Received Text" as it is called - gives you the Greek New Testament in it's entirety with Strongs Numbering (which allows even those who are new to Greek the ability to quickly search or jump to Lexicons and Dictionaries describing different words) and Parsing (parsing gives you the Tense Voice and Mood - e.g. Aorist vs. Present). This is the Greek manuscript line that the KJV and NKJV are translated from.

King James Version
    with Strongs Numbers
    The King James Version of the Bible is included with The E4 Bible Study Library. Search the Bible simultaneously with the entire library! Search for Greek or Hebrew behind the translation using Strongs Numbers!

Young's Literal Translation of the Bible
    Retail $9.95
    Have you ever wondered how the original Greek would be literally translated in a passage? That's what Young's gives you - a literal translation of the whole Bible.

The Weymouth New Testament
    Retail $9.95
    A contemporary-language version that makes the Scriptures easier to understand by translating the text in plain, simple language while retaining a solid level of accuracy. It is very beneficial to have Young's literal and Weymouth's contemporary translations open next to more standard translations like the ASV to complement your studies.

American Standard Version
    Retail $9.95
    A solid translation that many use as their main translation. It offers a very accurate translation that closely follows the original Greek and Hebrew.

La Biblia (Versión Reina-Valera De 1909)
    Retail $4.95
    This Spanish translation will be of great benefit in sharing the gospel with Spanish-speaking neighbors.

E4's Naves Topical Bible
    Retail $9.95
    If you want to study all the Scriptures on a given topic, Naves Topical Bible is the place to start! It has takes thousands and thousands of biblical topics and gives you an large list of relevant Scriptures for each. This is one of the most important study tools for any library.

Thompson Chain References
    Retail $9.95
    If you've ever used a Thompson Chain Reference Bible, you know that those topical chains that lead throughout Scripture are amazingly useful. This work gives you all those wonderful topical chains of Scripture references found in the Thompson Chain Bible so now you can easily follow a topic through the Bible!

Easton's Bible Dictionary
    Retail $9.95
    Every serious Bible student needs a good Bible dictionary, an Easton's is a great one for looking up a scholarly articles on most every topic from Aaron to Zuzims. By using KeyLinking you can instantly see the dictionary's article for any word you are look at in the Bible.

E4's Hebrew Lexicon
    Retail $9.95
    E4's Hebrew Lexicon, based upon Thayers and BDB, gives you easy to understand descriptions of the original Hebrew words so that you can study the Word of God in it's original language. Its even keyed with Strongs Numbers for instant access from Strongs Numbered Bibles.

E4's Greek Lexicon E4's Greek Lexicon
    Retail $9.95
    E4's Greek Lexicon E4's Greek Lexicon, based upon Thayers and BDB, gives you easy to understand descriptions of the original Greek words so that you can study the Word of God in it's original language. Its even keyed with Strongs Numbers for instant access from Strongs Numbered Bibles.

E4's Tense Voice Mood
    Retail $7.95
    E4's Tense Voice Mood allows you to look up the tense, voice and mood of the original Greek and Hebrew words from Strongs-Numbered Bibles, so you can know if the original Greek is aorist vs. present, active vs. passive, imperative vs. indicative, etc. Essential for original language study.

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary
    Retail $9.95
    Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary is a well-loved classic commentary covering the entire Bible that will offer you great nuggets of Biblical insight and devotion, filling your heart and mind with the deep things of the Word of God

Haldane, Commentary on Romans
    Retail $33.95, 668 Pages
    This commentary will guide Christians everywhere into the great themes—both analytically and devotionally—of the most important book of doctrine in the NT. Lloyd-Jones called Haldane the best commentator on Romans. Jerry Bridges says, “A masterpiece! It helped ground me in the essentials of justification and sanctification.” “(Haldane) is so plain and easy to understand, and his doctrine is strictly Biblical.”—Jay P. Green

Hodge, Commentary on Ephesians
    Retail $21.95, 320 Pages
    This commentary shows that Hodge’s theology came out of solid biblical exegesis. Here we have a true classic which will safely guide you down good paths. “Should be in every pastor’s library.”—The Minister’s Library “Profoundly biblical”—Dict. of American Biography
    All 31 books are free!

Hodge, Outlines of Theology
    Retail $27.95, 680 Pages
    This is sound Biblical theology laid out in an extremely useful ‘Question and Answer’ format. Charles Spurgeon says, “We commend the Outlines of Theology to all who would be well instructed in the faith. It is the standard textbook of our college.” “One of the best treatments…on the main points of theology.”—The Minister’s Library

McCheynne, Sermons and Letters
    Retail $35.95, 500 Pages
    These rich letters and sermons were noted for their deep devotion to Christ. Jerry Bridges says, “God used the writings of Robert Murray McCheyne early in my Christian life to give me a taste of what it means to walk with God. He will always stimulate and challenge you.” Previously titled “Memoir and Remains”

Ryle, Holiness
    Retail $14.95, 324 Pages

J. I. Packer says, “Real Christians will find this book a feast, a gold mine, a spur and heart-warmer, food, drink, medicine, and vitamin tablets, all in one. Tolle lege—take it and read it.”

Jonathan Edwards on Revival
    Retail $14.95, 160 Pages
    A great resource recording one of the greatest works of God’s Spirit in America. Lloyd-Jones felt that Edwards’ works were the most helpful to him in the early years of ministry. “Edwards is the greatest thinker that America has produced.”—President McCosh, of Princeton. “In our day there is no man who comes within a thousand miles of him.”—Lyman Beecher

Spurgeon, A Collection Of Sermons
    Retail $29.95, 450 Pages
    Many today highly esteem Spurgeon without really knowing what he believed and taught. This topically indexed volume will expose many to the great themes of Spurgeon’s preaching—God’s absolute holiness, man’s total depravity, and the free grace found in the accomplished atonement of Jesus Christ.

Charles Hodge, Sermon Outlines
    Retail $15.95, 234 Pages
    “These Princeton sermons of Charles Hodge, one of the greatest Christian teachers of the last century, are only outlines; but what outlines! They form almost a complete systematic theology, and are extraordinarily suggestive and satisfying.”—J. I. Packer. A wonderful resource for sermon outlines and theology! This book will do wonders by spreading good theology and giving great examples of doctrinal preaching.

Guthrie, Your Salvation
    Retail $11.95
    Guthrie explains how to know if one is saved and how to obtain salvation. It will be a very useful aid for pastors and lay-people alike in preaching the gospel and in dealing with those hard cases regarding one's salvation and assurance. John Owen described Guthrie as “One of the greatest divines that ever wrote.”

Spurgeon, All of Grace
    Retail $11.95, 140 Pages
    Spurgeon’s goal in this book was “the salvation of the reader.” There is no question that Spurgeon was among the greatest evangelists who have ever lived. This book will be an inspiring resource for witnessing and preaching evangelistically. And now Christian Classics has given you the ability to easily search the work by topic to encourage your hearts as you consider the gospel.

The Westminster Confession and Catechisms
    Retail $27.95, 350 Pages
    Harmonized By Topic: The Westminster Confession, Larger Catechism and Shorter Catechism are considered by many to be the best concise statements of what the Bible teaches available today. Their distribution to the church today will have a profound impact, to mature and grow everyone from child to pastor. The topical and Scriptural indices (along with the hyperlink connections between the 3 documents) will make them more useful than ever before. Imagine pastors everywhere consulting the historic Westminster standards as they prepare to preach week by week.

Hodge, Commentary on Westminster Confession
    Retail $26.95, 432 Pages
    Harmonized By Topic: The Westminster Confession, Larger Catechism and Shorter Catechism Want an explanation of biblical Christianity? This wonderful exposition of the Westminster Confession gives it to you! It will be extremely helpful for pastor and laity alike. Alexander McPherson says, “This is a book of special value to ministers and divinity students, but anyone who has an interest in the teachings of God’s Word will find it most useful.”

Vincent, A Family Instructional Guide
    Retail $15.95
    40 puritans (including John Owen, Thomas Manton, Thomas Brooks and Thomas Watson) recommended this useful volume as a very worthy aid for family instruction. This volume gives parents very simple explanations to take their children through the Westminster Shorter Catechism. Children instructed by parents and Sunday School teachers using this book may end up knowing more solid biblical theology than most pastors!

Smeaton, Paul’s Doctrine of the Atonement
    Retail $19.95, 1856 Pages
    Good teaching on our Savior’s atonement is sorely needed today. Wilbur M. Smith says, this book “should be on the shelves of every student of the New Testament.” Smeaton expounds the doctrine of the atonement by using a commentary format; working through each text dealing with the atonement in the writings of Paul. Extremely helpful!

Owen, The Glory of the Trinity
    Retail $15.95
    Owen is called the “greatest of the Puritans,” and this volume is one of the reasons why. The glories of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit shine in all their radiance. The topical index will lead you into this valuable work again and again.

Baxter, The Reformed Pastor
    Retail $12.95, 256 Pages
    Packer calls Baxter, “The most outstanding pastor, evangelist and writer…that Puritanism produced.” “In the whole compass of divinity, there is scarcely anything superior to it.”—Daniel Wilson. “A classic treatment that has been a blessing to pastors since its first appearance in 1656. This deserves to be studied in depth.”—The Minister’s Library. “Many good men are but shadows of what... they might be, if the maxims and measures... laid down in this incomparable Treatise were strenuously pursued.”

Witherow, The Apostolic Church, Which Is It?
    Retail $9.95
    A very useful work which goes directly to the Scripture to show us how the Church in the apostolic era governed itself. Here is a simple biblical explanation which supplies us with a good model to follow. “One of the best handbooks for church government that has been written. It packs an enormous amount of information into a small book.”—George Knight."

So visit their site, donate if you can, don't if you can't, but for the price of shipping, one cannot do better in getting this many resources , and though the resources may be available from different sites, they are not searchable as they are with this package, thus making them all the more useful. So in their own words:

"Help us spread the word . . . . . Email your friends our Web address! www.FreeBibleSoftware.com

God maturing His church through pastors and teachers. Eph. 4:11-14
    The E4 Group is a 501(c)3 Nonprofit Organization. Copyright 1999-2000, The Ephesians Four Group"

PS, the resources are from a decidedly Reformed/Calvinistic perspective, but, given that this is the truest expression of biblical Christianity, then it is only right to pass it on to you!! ;) hey, put those stones down.... and whats with the mob and their torches and farming implements!!! RUN!!!!!!

5. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

I use E-sword exclusively, at this time.

I have an old DOS Version of 'Word Search' which came with the NIV. Great for a DOS program.

I will probably install it on a Think Pad 500 I was given. It's a little 50Mhz 486 tiny notebook running Windows 3.1! Got to get the batteries working though.

Have the starter set for QucikVerse 7.0. It, too, is a good program. And, has access to some modules (at a price) that you simply can't get with E-sword.

But, I simply can't afford to buy Quick Verse with the modules and add-ins I need and want.

That leave E-Sword... A freebie.

It has a great Tutorial available for download. And, has been intuitive enough that I haven't had to read the help file of tutorial since installing it.

The only thing I would like to see added is the original NIV. But, Zondervon has the 'commercial' copyrights locked up on that. And, seem to be pushing the newer adulterated version...

I heartily recommend E-Sword.

6. Pete

Pete New Member

I've been using QuickVerse 3.0h for about 10 years now. Have looked at a few other programs at mates' places, but none of them so far have gone anywhere near matching it.

Downloading E-Sword now anyway to have a look at it.

7. SpiritualMadMan

After I used E-sword a few times I felt it was more than worth the $15.00 'requested' donation.

The CD you get as a 'gift' installs about 80% of everything on the web site in one install.

It is *very* well done.

I don't usually send money in response to web sites... So, this is a pretty high mark from me. [​IMG]

8. SpiritualMadMan

After I used E-sword a few times I felt it was more than worth the $15.00 'requested' donation.

The CD you get as a 'gift' installs about 80% of everything on the web site in one install.

It is *very* well done.

I don't usually send money in response to web sites... So, this is a pretty high mark from me. [​IMG]

9. Pete

Pete New Member

Well that was fun... [​IMG] After my last post in this thread last night I downloaded 254MB worth of e-Sword and add-ins.

From what I have seen of e-Sword so far it can easily match QuickVerse in program capabilities, and goes way above and beyond QV in pricing policy.

When I cash up a bit after my holiday I will gladly send equivalent of what I paid for QV. e-Sword is worth more, however I don't make enough to send what it is worth [​IMG]