1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ethics of translation query

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Mar 4, 2005.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Prompted by a few other posts.

Do you think it is ethical and proper to translate into modern foreign languages from the Geneva Bible?

Why or why not?

This question is intended primarily for those considered "KJVO #3 or above" but anyone may answer.

;)

2. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

As a missionary to a non English speaking country, I would not want to use a translation from any English version. Only the origianal languages should be used in a translation. I do not think it is ethical, since it is providing the readers with a translation of a translation which is twice removed from the origianl language. This is not fair to them. If we have the benefit of conservative English translations that relfect the original languages, other people groups have that right as well.

Why the Gneeva Bible?

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Simply to detract from the other version being discussed and take some of the emotion out.

Also to see the response of those who insist that it is alright to do so if using the KJV.

4. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Good idea.

5. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

I agree with 4His_glory.

Being blesed by God with the ability to speak other languages, I can see the difficulties (at best) and deliberate bias (at worst) of trying to re-translate a translation.

I believe that it is our duty to the people we are trying to reach (and to our Savior Himself); to give them the best translation possible from the original languages.

P.S. God bless the missionary!

6. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

A missionary frined of mine is in Papau New Guinea. Has been for years. When he first got there, he went to the "bush" and preached the gospel. At that time there was no Bible version in the native languages. Many of those languages differ from tribe to tribe, but most spoke Pidgeon. So in preaching he would translate "on the fly" as it were. Today, there are dozens of indigent (sp) churches, self supporting and native pastors leading them as a direct result of Bro. Wells' efforts.
    Today, his son is working on the same "field" and is working on a Pidgeon translation using the KJV (which his father used for all those years) and other helps. Most of those "helps" are the native pastors themselves.
    How is this unethical?

In HIS service;
    Jim