1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eve -- How could she be guilty?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Crabtownboy, May 7, 2008.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Genesis chapter 2:

God spoke to Adam and this was before Eve was created from his rib. According to the Bible God never spoke to Eve about not eating the fruit. So she did not know. So how could she be guilty of sin when she ate? We cannot say that Adam told her for there is no such verse in the Bible.

It is not until verse 22 that Eve is brought forth from Adam.

2. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Not that it matters that much, but Eve did know before she ate.

3. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is nothing in Genesis that says she knew. God talked to Adam. Eve wasn't on the scene yet.

4. belvedere

belvedere Member

The scripture provided is quite clear. Eve told the serpent what God had said to her/them.

5. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

You say there is nothing in Genesis that says she knew, in Genesis 3.2-3, she herself says that she did know:

2 And the woman said to the serpent, "We may eat the fruit of the trees of the garden; 3 "but of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God has said, ‘You shall not eat it, nor shall you touch it, lest you die.’"

Is anything more required to show that she knew?

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes if you want to make a failed attempt to show this passage found in a book of words as a "tale".

#6 Revmitchell, May 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2008
  7. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are right, in Chapter 3.

8. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With due respects to everybody, Crabtownboy is right in his statement that when God gave man His first command (about the tree) Eve was not there (Genesis 2:17). Eve was formed later, after the command (Genesis 2:18-22).

This is not to say that Eve was not guilty.

Although the Bible does not record every conversation between Adam and Eve, it is safe to assume that Adam did tell Eve about the only prohibition God has in the garden, as evidenced by Eve's reply to the serpent's question.

She disobeyed, and tempted Adam to disobey.

I think the Bible lesson is that the man, not the woman, is directly responsible to the Creator for the pastoring of his family.

But what does a brown monkey speaking the fine language of English know, eh ?

9. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Would Eve had been found guilty if Adam had not ate it?

10. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very interesting question ... and what would the ramifications have been if she had been found guilty and he remained innocent ... or the other way around?

11. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

IMHO, Adam had two choices. To eat it and die with her or to not eat it and die for her.

12. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

True, but CTB went further, and said (Post 3 on this thread):
    There is nothing in Genesis that says she knew.
    Perhaps he intended to put "nothing in Genesis 2".

13. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    David is right. I posted too quickly ... just to keep the discussion going. I wonder why no mention is made of God talking with Eve as directly as it does of his speaking to Adam?

14. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Remember that Eve is of the bone of Adam and of his flesh.

1 Timothy 2:13&14
    13For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
    14And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

If Adam had not ate then in that evening when walking with God, Adam could very well have said take me for my wife has sinned. Eve would have run from Adam and Adam would have to give up his life, for Eve to see that her husband truly loved her. Eve would have to witness God's wrath upon him for for her transgression. Again this is IMHO but this was a likely option for Adam.

However Adam reacted according to his flesh and chose to die with her instead of for her. I do think that his choice was a fleshly reaction and was made without the complete consequences being thought about.

Remember also that man was made of the clay and man thought accordingly thus denying the spirit that was within him. We know that he was made a living soul by the breath of the Holy Spirit. Now man was spirit of the Holy Spirit. Christ was borne solely of the Holy Spirit and the womans seed. The flesh of man did not conceive Him. Christ then gave up His Ghost on the cross so that man's spirit could live again. His resurrection secured the promise of eternal life. Doing what Adam should have done and didn't, thus bringing life and not death.

15. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Once we die the flesh is gone and when we are caught up to be with Christ we will take on a body like His, a body that is conceived of the Holy Spirit. Then we, like Him, will react to situations according to the Spirit and not according to the flesh. When in the desert did not Satan tempt Him through the flesh? He reacted to those temptations according to the Spirit. When we are tempted do we not react according to the flesh? Just as Adam did.

16. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

That has always seemed a strange sentence to me as it seems that if Adam had not been deceived he would not have eaten of the fruit. Now maybe that gives credibility to the old line, "It took Satan to fool Eve, but only Eve to fool Adam." To me that sentence has always looked like a line a man would write in attempting to make men look better.

17. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would to me also, but since I believe in inspiration and inerrancy, it didn't come from a man but from God through Paul.

It really doesn't matter if Eve didn't hear what God said. She obviously knew what He had said or she wouldn't have told the serpent what she did. I didn't hear Jesus say what He did, but someone reliable told me what He said, so I am still responsible.

18. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I think we will all have a heart attack and die of not surprised. But since conservatives have no problem with the supernatural acts of God and His soveriegn ability to keep His word true and without error such thoughts are unnecessary and quite silly.

19. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In what way was Adam not deceived?

Thinking it a strange sentence has nothing to say that I do not believe in supernatural acts.

20. skypair

skypair Active Member

This is true -- but Adam, though imperfectly, must have communicated it to Eve.

skypair