1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eve, how did she help?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Crabtownboy, May 6, 2008.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible says: Gen. 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

How did Eve help Adam?

2. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

The answer is perhaps indicated in God's words, "It is not good that the man should be alone." One obvious thing that Adam could not do alone was to have children, though that is not the only way in which a wife is helpful to her husband, or vice-versa.

3. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. This was, obviously before the fall, and a rather interesting question I think. If we take the Adam and Eve story literally I do not know if they would have had children if they had not fallen. I am not sure of all the changes that took place because of sin. We do know that work and death and pain in childbirth was a result. It would seem that childbirth was or would not have been painful if they had not eaten of the apple.

I have another thought/question concerning Eve that I will ask in another thread sometime in the future.

4. Allan

Allan Active Member

Yes, they would have had children since God gave the command to be fruitful and multiply before the fall. And yes, the story is to be taken literally.

Additionally, it wasn't an apple but a 'fruit'.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

The bible doesn't tell us what Eve did to help Adam, only that that was her purpose, or one of them (incluing child birth here).
    The story of Adam and Eve is literal, completely true.
    We don't know how God designed childbirth to be before the fall. If pain in childbirth was a consequence of the fall, then we can assume it was not originally part of childbirth(before the fall).

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "If"?

Do you not take it literally?

7. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dun know, some might suggest, as it was pointed out, that this was said before the fall, maybe after the fall she wasn't a help :laugh:

Now, I wouuuuuld never say that but some might :thumbs:

8. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A friend said Eve helped Adam by telling him what, when, and how to do everything. :laugh:

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

LOL:laugh: ,well he was a man :laugh:

10. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

Behind the scenes, like every wife should.

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Because God is all knowing, He made plans from the point of creation for Eve to help her husband do stuff like...find things in the frig that he can't see but is staring at, tell him what medication to take for a cough or allergy, wash his clothes, keep the TP stocked in the bathroom, you know, the really important stuff.

Sorry guys...you know it's true! :wavey:

12. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So right. It is in our DNA and my doctor says that we males have a defective gene which makes us say, "I don't need to go see the doc. I'm fine." :laugh:

13. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Therein lies the real question we all have to deal with sooner or later.

BTW, I take it literally.

14. skypair

skypair Active Member

I think your point is well taken, Amy. I believe that Eve was to take care of Adam physically ---- which is why, when she saw the fruit was good and would make them wise, she brought it to him.

I find a strong parallel with the church today. God/Christ ruling His spiritual kingdom but who is there to administer His physical kingdom and worship Him before all of creation.

skypair

15. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The fruit ... that leads to my second question which I will post tomorrow.

16. Joe

Joe New Member

I believe Eve was more of a help meet to Adam prior to the fall.

After the fall, it appears they became closer, more bonded together as he calls her Eve instead of "the woman"

Genesis 3:12 Then the man said, The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me of the tree and I ate.

Genesis 3:20 And Adam called his wife's name Eve, because she was the mother of all the living

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

In thinking about the results of the fall on man (mankind) I would think your right, neither Adam nor Eve were ever again what they were intended to be.
    I just wish we knew more about her role as his helper before the fall.

18. lbaker

lbaker New Member

What I wonder about is why God didn't see right off that Adam would need a mate. Didn't He make all the animals in pairs, male and female. Seems odd that he would "forget" to make a female human. It's like some while after God makes Adam he says "oh, duh, yeah, I knew I forgot something. No wonder he's depressed."

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

Well I don't think God forgot, or was stupid on the subject. I think Adam needed to know he needed a mate too.

Kind of like, I need a mate too God, ok buddy here you go, you asked for this remember that. Now men can't complain about women, because they asked for it.:laugh:

20. Allan

Allan Active Member

God already knew it was not good for man to dwell alone but what happened was for Adam's benifit. Adam had to get to a point where 'he' knew there was something missing. Remember God already determined to make 'both' man and woman. But What did God do when Adam wasn't doing so good. He brought Adam animals first. Then when no sutable helper was found 'by Adam' God stepped in for the perfect complement to Adam, but one that Adam could find nor make of his own - Woman.

BTW - you know how her gender name came to be don't you??
    He woke up and saw her standing there and said "Whao Man!" and it stuck just in shorter form - woman. :laugh: