1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Executive Committee Increases Salary Structure in The SBC

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Sep 22, 2005.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Associated Baptist Press

September 22, 2005

SBC Executive Committee increases salary structure

By Steve DeVane

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (ABP) -- The Southern Baptist Convention Executive Committee has voted to raise the salaries for some of its upper-level employees as questions continue about the openness of its salary structure.

The vote came during the committee's Sept. 20 meeting, after members discussed a consultant's report showing that the salaries didn't measure up. While the Executive Committee's overall compensation was slightly above the midpoint of salaries at comparable organizations, it showed, the higher-level employees were about 22 percent lower than others in similar positions.

Committee officials did not release the report to the public, and members of the committee were required to sign their copies and turn them in after the discussion.

The motion to change the salary structure passed by a voice vote, with a few audible votes in opposition. Rob Zinn, the chair of the committee, said the vote does not mean salaries will automatically increase.

Committee members did not discuss salaries for specific positions during the meeting.

Roger Moran, an Executive Committee member from Missouri, asked why the Morris Chapman's salary was not included in the study. Chapman is the committee's chief executive officer.

Zinn replied that Chapman's salary was not part of the organization's salary structure. He said a separate study found that Chapman's salary was just below comparable positions in other organizations.

Moran, has raised questions about Executive Committee salaries before. During a June meeting of the body, he said he wanted an "open book policy" regarding salaries.

In the most recent meeting, Moran said the issue boils down to Executive Committee members not knowing Chapman's salary.

"I think we have a hard time selling some of these salaries," he said.

In June, the Executive Committee approved a policy for examining employees' salaries.

The policy allows Executive Committee members to see an employee's salary once the committee member fills out a form pledging confidentiality of the information. The policy also requires the inquirer to state the reason for their request. The Executive Committee chairman and another officer must sign the form.

Moran and another Executive Committee member, Dean Nichols of Alaska, said the policy doesn't go far enough in disclosing employees' salaries.

2. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I didn't know salaries of our SBC officials were so sensitive. I wonder why that is?

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Now, now, Brother Ian!!!! Youuuuuuuuu know as well as I do---that if you get down to the individual church level---that things reallllly get sensitive-----down to costs on toilet paper :D :D and paper towels-----much less---the pastor's salary!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Just goes to prove----reaction to "upper crust" salaries are as sensitive as us in the "lower crust!!!" [​IMG] [​IMG]

Blackbird

4. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

This has been a very sensitive issue for years in the SBC.

Several years ago an inquiry started by a few of the Presidents of some State Conventions created a lot of heat on the part of some of the SBC Executives who did not want their salaries publicized.

The main reason is if the average person in the SBC knew what some of these guys make there would be a revolt in the pew.

5. Brother Ian

I've been in a SBC for 11 years. I never thought about the salaries of convention staffers. Does the SBC president get a salary from the convention?

6. buckster75

buckster75 Member

I tried to get a list a few years ago on where all the money our church was giving to SBC and our preacher finally told me he could not get a complete list from SBC. I wonder if all the overhead makes Assoc. worth it. could not a church feel better knowing the are giving directly to a mission and 100% of the funds going to that mission?

7. Brother Ian

Buckster,

I'm pretty sure the SBC advertizes how much goes to missions, but I'm sure in that total, could be salaries paid to Convention Missions Directors, etc. One good way is to support missionaries directly or through the International Mission Board.

Does anybody know how much a state convention president or SBC president gets paid for that position?

8. izzaksdad

izzaksdad New Member

State Convention President (in SC) is not paid. Re-imbursed for any travel, lodging, meals that he might incur while on "official" convention representation.

9. buckster75

buckster75 Member

just seems like a lot of overhead to me. our chuch struggles (I mean really struggles. the treas sometimes has to tell the pastor not to cash his check until she has made a deposit) to keep the bills paid but will not miss sending money to the Assoc.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you have been in the SBC very long you know that O.S. Hawkins received a pay raise when he went from pastor of FBC, Dallas to head up the annuity board.

11. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

You can just about take a wild guess---give or take a few thousand---my wild guess for SBC Exec/Treasurer Chapman would range probably around $150,000 + or -

State Exec/Treasurers probably lower---probably somewhere in the neighborhood of $120,000.000

Not bad doughnuts!!!!!

My salary here is----is----is----is----is open for anyone to see----just get your hands on a monthly statement---its disclosed there-----now---one thing I ain't gonna do---I ain't gonna let cha peak at my checkbook----my checkbook is my business----but what I get paid is open season for your vision!!!!

12. buckster75

buckster75 Member

our preacher get $250/week from the church (nothing else no other benifits)and he puts back way more than that.(not that he lets any one know. he is just one of the few who is even working age. so it is not hard to figure out) And I would put his sermons and the time he spends at the hospital up against a lot of other preachers I know. of course he is not full time and I doubt if he would even ever consider it. he also cuts the grass and has never asked for a penny for gas.

13. buckster75

buckster75 Member

I find the amounts you are stating for these men somewhat upsetting.

14. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Buckster----Blackbird is bettin' that it wouldn't be quiet upsettin'----if it were Buckster pullin' in "Six figures" instead of those "upper crust" boys in Nashville!!! Just think----Buckster could be drivin' a Caddy Coup DeVille instead of that Pontiac Bonneville!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Don't let it get you :mad: !!!

15. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I think that you would find those numbers very low.

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

$123,669 + $24,727 = $148,396 is the average Pastor's salary of some of the larger churches ... So, my wild guess is that they make a little bit more ...

17. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmm... United churches, large hierarchical staff system, large salaries: is this really what Jesus intended for the church?

18. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

What'd Jesus say???

"To whom much is given, much will be required!"

19. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just my preference, but I would prefer not giving my money to some beaurocratic "convention" that is mostly, for all intents and purposes, invisible to me.

20. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Talk about a group of SBC employees who need raises? The folks on the Executive Committee ought to consider how difficult it is for a "low level" seminary staffer to make ends meet. ;) Oh yeah... that's right I forgot it's a ministry not a job! :D