1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Extra Biblical goes both ways

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Jul 3, 2007.

1. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I think normal TV programming and commercials are worse than movies. If anyone wants to find out how much worse, I recommend they go without TV for a year or two. When they watch it again, no longer desensitized to the content, I think they'll be in for a shock. I dislike almost all TV programming except some kid's cartoons, some movies and the weather channel. ;)

I don't mean to say TV is necessarily something to be avoided. In my opinion, it is to be avoided if it has an ill effect on you. If one really wants to get away from the nastiness of the world, I think one has to leave the world.

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well, that is good of you Ed to see fit to leave over since I can read back as far as the 3rd century of the laying on of hands to ordain. Maybe they just had it right all along. Tell you what, I will continue to follow in the Good Old Way, let others do as they may.

It seems to be a very hard thing for you to do, is agree?

Ed; you speak of a perfect world and church. I know of churches who have no ordained Elders and others from other churches are appointed to serve those churches by the agreement of the majority of that church. It seems to work very well. Seems to me the Old Brethren were a very intelligent bunch of brethren.

Not a stretch when I was using this as showing even the ways were ordained, if you had read closely you might have understood.

#22 Brother Bob, Jul 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2007
  3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Nope! No one by that name did I find either, that I'm aware of. Only some webmaster in CA, someone in Spain, some grandson of a KKK member, and an engineer. Why should I know any of them???? And what would any of them have to do with an "Extra-Biblical" question???

Ed

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

ps. the name is Karl Rove, I just think you would make a good politician Ed.

#24 Brother Bob, Jul 5, 2007
  5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Actually, I would make a lousy politician, for I am not into telling someone something just because it is something I think they may want to hear. And I am not willing to compromise those principles, nor do I want to feel indebted to 'owe' someone a favor.

And yes, I have heard of Karl Rove, and know a little bit about that individual. Some of it is OK, I guess, and some of it leaves me more than a little doubtful. I am no big fan of any 'kingmaker'.

Ed

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Augustine; on ordaination.
    Secondly we will suggest that the rites of ordination in Roman Africa in the third century should be understood in the context of patronage, and in particular that the passage of the Holy Spirit through handlaying should be understood as a beneficium

Give all the meaning of the Greek word please and it will line up with the scripture.

kaqisthmi
    kathistemi
    kath-is'-tay-mee
    from kata - kata 2596 and isthmi - histemi 2476; to place down (permanently), i.e. (figuratively) to designate, constitute, convoy:--appoint, be, conduct, make, ordain, set.

isthmi
    histemi
    his'-tay-mee
    a prolonged form of a primary stao stah'-o (of the same meaning, and used for it in certain tenses); to stand (transitively or intransitively), used in various applications (literally or figuratively):--abide, appoint, bring, continue, covenant, establish, hold up, lay, present, set (up), stanch, stand (by, forth, still, up). Compare tiqhmi - tithemi 5087.

tiqhmi
    tithemi
    tith'-ay-mee,
    theo theh'-o (which is used only as alternate in certain tenses) to place (in the widest application, literally and figuratively; properly, in a passive or horizontal posture, and thus different from isthmi - histemi 2476, which properly denotes an upright and active position, while keimai - keimai 2749 is properly reflexive and utterly prostrate):--+ advise, appoint, bow, commit, conceive, give, X kneel down, lay (aside, down, up), make, ordain, purpose, put, set (forth), settle, sink down.

#26 Brother Bob, Jul 5, 2007