1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Faith is not a choice

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like Iconoclast, I suppose if you keep on saying this it will morph into the truth inside your head.

No one is saying this. Non sequitur.

Jesus:
    "I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel." Luke 7:9

He marvelled, and said to them that followed, "Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel."
    Matthew 8:10

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets see:

God says He sets before us the CHOICE of life and death. But according to the absurdity of Calvinism, God did not really say what He said. What He meant to say is He sets the non-Choice of life only before the elect, and death only before the non-elect.

Anyone who advocates Calvinism must embrace absurdity. God predestines everything, but is not the author of sin. God does not really desire all men be saved, he was just kidding. On and on it goes, one thread after another pushing absurdity.

3. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Heb. 12:2; John 6:29; 64-65; Philp. 1:29; Eph. 2:8; Gal. 5:19; etc.

No, it is YOU that is reading your idea into it. The grammar proves my point. The perfect tense demands a completed action at a prior point in time which continues completed. That completed action occcurred and was inclusive "through" faith.

Can you crawl "THROUGH" a pipe that does not exist? The two must coexist simeltaneously and are inseparable from each to make sense of that statement. "IT" is this whole action, as without faith no such action exists! "IT is a gift of God and NOT OF YOURSELVES" because the whole action is "BY GRACE"!!

Faith is "OF GRACE" (Rom. .4:16) and grace is a GIFT "FREELY by grace" (Rom. 3:24) and the only other option is works "if it be OF GRACE then it is no more OF WORKS otherwise grace is no more grace(Rom. 11:6).

God's works of redemption is called "grace" and grace is "not of works. Reread my response above.

Jesus answered the way he did in order to repudiate this man's view of man's MORAL nature being EQUAL to Christ's moral nature as his words demanded that he was morally EQUAL to Christ ("GOOD Master....what GOOD....can I do").

Thus Christ repudiate that view of man's moral nature by saying "THERE IS NONE GOOD but ONE and that is God."

He expressed YOUR VIEW of man's moral nature which makes man morally EQUAL to Christ. He didn't know who Christ was or what man is and Christ corrected both errors.

You know that Christ is God but like the young man you do not know what man is morally. Christ says THERE IS NONE but you and the young man both repudiate Christ's response and say you "CAN" do good.

He thought he was wise and so do you but:

"Professing themselves to be wise they became fools"[/QUOTE]

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you are persuaded, then you have made a choice from being persuaded.

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

The justice of it is another thread.

The fact of it is this thread.

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

So you CHOSE to believe in gravity?

When did you make that life changing "choice"?

When did you CHOOSE to believe your Mother loves you and that every meal she provided you would not be poisoned by her?

When did you choose to believe the earth was round?

When did you choose to believe fire can burn you?

You never made a choice to believe ANY of these things or any OTHER thing.

The facts came into your sphere of observation and completely without choice involved you were persuaded that they were so. The fact captured your mind and led it to believe the truth.

Saying, "Well, blah, blah, blah..." does not change that.

7. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see you did a cut-and-paste job from one of these threads to the other.

I responded to your argument in the other thread.

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Because so few Romans had been exposed to the facts of the Gospel and even fewer listened to those facts.

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yes, but God uses means.

Faith is not some Holy Ghost fairy dust that God sprinkles on an unregenerate heart and, like magic, the heart lives.

Faith comes by hearing the Word of God. Means.

The more Agrippa HEARD the word of God the closer he was to being persuaded.

10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yes, that was originally a response to you in that thread and after I posted it, I thought it was worthy of its own thread.

11. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could not have said it better kyredneck

The death of Jesus of Nazareth the Son of God and he, Jesus being raised from the dead by God the Father of him brought forth; The substance of things hoped for the evidence of things not seen, Faith which resulted in the one raised being exalted on high, receiving from the Father who raised him the promise of the Holy Spirit, which could then be given to the called according to purpose.

That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through the faith. Gal 3:14

12. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Faith by hearing the Word of God. Allow me to give my understanding. BTW I removed comes.

V16 Who shall believe our report? The report of the word of God. The truth. Maybe those given the Spirit of truth.

What does the word of God say? V16 from Isaiah 53:1 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?

Read 2-12 of Isaiah 53 to read of the faith to come.

Gal 3:23 speaks of before the faith came and verse 25 speaks of after the faith did come.

Why did Saul go from unbelief to being Paul the believer in a three day period?

Did Paul change his mind or did God given him a believing heart, opening his eyes and ears to truth? Was he persuaded or was he changed by the Spirit of Truth?

13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

The last question above is a false dichotomy.

It is not one or the other.

God gave him a believing heart BY changing his mind.

That's what "repent" means- to change one's mind.

14. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Inspector Javert

Actually no it does not.

No man in the word of God is said to be saved.....because of faith:thumbsup: If they Had faith it would declare men become saved because of faith....but it does not say that.

Repentance and faith, the very ability to turn from idols to God....is God given.

The fact that not all men are given faith,or the ability to believe stands in contrast to the believers.:wavey:

15. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    ITL,

Icon said
    Repentance and faith are grace gifts that are given at regeneration.

However the bible teaches this exact thing that you want to deny.....

17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ;
    God in regeneration put Spirit baptism to their account,quickening them...notice "the Like gift" it was GIVEN BY GOD.....then he explains it further,like this-

Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.
    God granted it, God graced them with it, gave Gave them repentance unto LIFE.....IT is a package deal...it all comes at regeneration.....

You anti-cals think you can withstand God unlike the Apostles who learned how God was at work in these gentiles.

18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

16. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually you do choose to have faith because you choose to listen to that information. You are getting closer here Luke.
    When I found out what gravity was. Sorry I had to listen to my teachers or I would not have passed
    Only if I listen to the information and this requires choice.
    Oh I wouldn't be so bold as to say that. If something better than Gravity came along to convince me other wise.
    Information has entered my mind about Calvinism but I do not believe it's true.
    That's like trying to float a boat with out the hull.
    Nonsense I still do not believe in Calvinism.
    This is a lie.
    As far as lies and truth you are right they are different.
    MB

17. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another example of Cals not knowing what non cals actually believe.

18. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Actually he's spot on.

19. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought that is what I said. God gave him a believing heart. By being given the Spirit of truth Paul could rightly divide the word of truth.

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

Faith itself is not a choice, but we make a choice to believe.

Let's say you come to a frail looking wooden bridge over a swift river you desire to cross. You sincerely desire to cross the bridge, but it is certain if the bridge collapses you will be swept to your death in the raging river below.

There is an old man standing at the foot of the bridge. You ask the man if the bridge is safe. He assures you that the bridge is completely safe and that many persons much bigger and heavier than you have safely crossed many times, even just an hour ago.

The man seems very sincere and very convincing, yet the bridge appears very frail and not safe at all.

What do you do? You weigh the evidence, the bridge does not look safe, but the man seems very sincere and honest, and his argument was very compelling.

You decide to take a chance and cross the bridge. This is a decision, it is a decision to believe or trust the man and the bridge.

This is what it is like to trust Christ. Jesus has given his promise to us, that if we come to him he will absolutely and certainly save us. We are told to give up all other ways that we might be saved and depend upon him only.

Believing on Jesus is not simply believing some facts, it is committing one's self completely to him and depending on him completely to save you.

It is a choice that any man can make, just as any man could choose either to walk over the frail wooden bridge or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.