1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fatalism, Irresistible Grace and Misunderstanding

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Martin, May 1, 2007.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ed , get out your magnifying glass and review John 6 for just a glimpse of the biblical fact that the elect are effectually called -- drawn by the Father to Christ . It is demonstrated scores of times in the Bible -- but you can't find it ?!

2. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Can You Give an Example You Would Agree With?

Martin:

What always amuses me is how most Calvinists, invariably claim that those who take an opposing view of Calvinism either: misunderstand it, misrepresent it, can't understand it or is creating a Straw Man. In my years of dealing with Calvinists, most will not accept any definition of Calvinism unless the definition validates Calvinism’s five points.

Let me give you a friendly challenge: Please quote (and cite the source) for everyone a brief definition of Calvinism, from a well-known opponent of Calvinism, that you would agree satisfactorily defines Calvinism for you.

Would you please do that for me?

Thanks,

LM

In Defense of the Gospel

3. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

What is Calvinism's Rationalistic Fatalism?

In any event... Martin neglected to include the complete note I posted on Calvinism's Rationalistic Fatalism. For those who have not yet had the opportunity to read it, I will repost it here.

LM

In Defense of the Gospel

4. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Well Said on Sovereignty & Freedom

JD:

Here you have very nicely articulated a truth about the sovereignty of God and free will of man. (Both of which are vital doctrinal truths.)

I have maintained that God's sovereignty is actually magnified when we allow for the free will of man and His sovereignty to co-exist and His sovereignty is done no damage.

You may have to charge me a copy-cat fee. I am saving your post to my files.

Well said!

LM

5. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

The Many Dangers of...

To All:

Here is a link I fequently provide when Calvinism is under discussion. The series of articles answers many of the problems with a Calvinistic approach to theology.

The series of articles are by Brother George Zeller. The articles are highly readable. For those of you who are not entirely familiar with Calvinism, especially its inherent dangers, this link is a must read. Visit

LM

In Defense of the Gospel

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lou , for someone who doesn't want to have a C vs. A debate you sure do stir the pot . Mr. Zeller is off-the-mark when it comes to the subject of Reformed theology . Since you claim he is the one folks should consult for the dangers of Calvinism that puts you on shaky ground . You remind me of that Examiningcalvinism guy .

Zeller represents mainstream Calvinists as actually radical adherents of reformed theology -- " ... extreme Calvinists would say that the cross was designed for only the elect ." Why would this be considered "extreme" ? Calvinists believe that the Bible teaches that the scope of Christ's redemptive work was indeed for the the elect only . That's not new news , is it ?

Another Aldrich quote : It's [ Reformed Theology ] extreme Calvinism forces it to have a gospel only for the elect ." A couple observations here . The Gospel needs to be liberally ( in the old , best sense of the word ) proclaimed universally . We as Christians are urged to to so by Divine Command . But , again , the elect are the only recepients of the Good News -- The Lord sees to that . The non-elect will get the bad news .

Using Horatius Bonar to support a nonCal position is futile . Mr. bonar wrote many things on Calvinistic teachings . In "The Work Of Christ " he specifically deals with specific redemption and those "all" and "world" texts . He comes down squarely in favor of the classical Calvinistic stance .

I was surprised to see what many regard as the arch hypercalvinist -- William Huntington -- used to support your camp's view that the law is not applicable today . You and Mr. Aldrich would certainly be against him in practically the rest of his theological views --- but Aldrich never so much as mentions Huntington's real extremism . I do believe that the moral law needs to be preached . We are still to follow the Law though under grace .

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==If you go back you will see that I was refering to your "fatalism" charge. A charge which either represents a misunderstanding of Calvinism or a deep-seated distrust in God. Which is it? I imagine it is the former and not the latter.

==Calvinism, for me, is the five points. To get a definition of Calvinism you must first define the five points (or in some folks cases four points).

A popular level treatment of the five points:

http://www.monergismbooks.com/fvpts8278.html

8. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Name & Cite

Martin:

I have to be gone for most, if not all of today.

When I come back I want to see who you can name and cite with source, who is a well-known opponent of Calvinism, but defines the five points in a way that would cause you to say, he got it right.

I asked you to do this for me last night. I trust you will be able to cite one for the thread.

LM

In Defense of the Gospel

9. skypair

skypair Active Member

Our issue, as in most on this subject, is that the "electing" comes AFTER the foreknowledge of who the believers are. That makes it so that, as Bill Bright used to say, "God has a [step-by-step] plan for your life" but not for the lost person's.

Of course, God makes "allowances" that there are lost people down here! :laugh: But as Calvinism also believes, He lets the lost pretty much do as they please and He merely "ordains" the consequences. That, for instance, why the Christian gets killed on the highway by a drunk driver. God didn't want the Christian to die but God does not control the drunk and his behavior.

Only because you overrate God's "sovereign control." He controls their destiny. He has written it all down for them.

Absolutely! Calvies just have the wrong "mechanics" in mind. :laugh: Drawing is like "dating." "Coming" is like getting a proposal and accepting. Being "given" is entering into marriage at the wedding! There. I've had to tell you what your own vocabulary couldn't!

Don't you see how silly that is? You aren't "given" before you believe. Even in marriage (by way of illostration), it rarely works that way. How many women have said they would change their husbands once they were married -- and then couldn't?

God knew about you before you believed. He made a plan for your life before you believed. Then in the course of time He called and, just as He "suspected"/foreknew, you were drawn and quartered --- I mean drawn, came, and given!!

Like I said before, we first come to the Father through justification. The primary illustration of this is that the OT saints have NOT even seen Christ yet. They haven't been given to the Son yet, have they?? No. Not till the MK. They will be resurrected justified by the Holy Spirit who will sanctify them when they see Jesus.

We live in an awkward time for Calvin in that he never even conceived that men could have been saved any other way than the way they are in this "church dispensation." That is another "leak" in his theology. But the fact is that in the OT, saints were only justified, the True Sacrifice not having come yet! Notice that only after He arose were they taken to heaven from sheol. BUT it takes hearing of the name of Jesus and naming the name of Jesus to be sanctified by the indwelling Spirit. So, if you are confused, you are confused staying with Calvin.

skypair

10. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Disagreement among Calvinists

11. skypair

skypair Active Member

Rip --- try this paradigm on your Calvinist terminology

Drawn -- Come -- Given

It's like the wedding imagery the Bible uses so often -- first you date, then the proposal, then the wedding where you are given by God as the bride. Are you the bride of Christ. Or just "shackin' up waiting for the proposal (given -- come)?

skypair

12. skypair

skypair Active Member

I imagine that you are not giving us all the options. How about "...or either I [martin] don't understand fatalism." :1_grouphug:

skypair

13. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Why would I want to define Calvinism using the definition of a person who does not believe Calvinism? Would you define Christianity using the definition of a person who is a well known oppnent of Christianity?

14. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Foreknowledge is not God looking down through time, seeing who would believe, then electing them. Biblical Foreknowledge is God knowing His own from all eternity.

==Well, a lot of good that does us! So you are claiming God had no control over the events that took the life of that believer. Just making sure.

==Since Jesus says those who are drawn are raised, I think it is a bit stronger than dating (Jn 6:44).

==My Bible says we are given, then we come to Christ and recieve eternal life (Jn 6:37, 17:2). You are turning what Scripture says on its head.

15. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Rip:

You're not telling me anything I don't know. Still, you and I have discussed this topic, and we have some idea of how each of us believe on the issues, and where we differ. I doubt either of us really believe we can persuade the other. In that case, I don't fell like another lap around the barn. Eh, the theological chase is fun in a sprint, maybe even cross-country -- but I'm too old for marathons anymore! [​IMG]

JDale

16. skypair

skypair Active Member

It "isn't" true only because it "can't be" and sustain your theology. Take off the "Calvin-colored glasses," friend. Does the passage really say "For whom God did predestine, He also did predestine?" Rom 8:29 No. That's a foolish statement.

Yes I am. I am going to start a thread on a quote from R.C. again "there is no such thing as 'chance.'" Well, scripture doesn't agree. Solomon said "The race is not always to the swiftest ... but time and CHANCE happeneth to all." So R.C. needs to get a time machine, go back and tell Solomon that he was wrong.

Well, you know all through the Bible there is the typology of marriage between God and Israel or Christ and His church. I think it is quite valid and scriptural to show the correct useage of "drawn - come - given" in that language and in that pattern. And especially since you don't seem to have the ideas arranged in any rational pattern yourself.

Just so we know what verses you are talking about:

"All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out." ------- There is a change of tense here that makes it a bit confusing. Father gives (present); shall come (future). So firstly, I don't think this is definitive enough to make a case either way. Obviously, God didn't give Jesus everyone at the moment in time that He was saying this. So it is likely that God gives them when they come -- ergo, what I said.

"As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him." ------- This only uses the one term give/given. A little hard to make out an order on this one.

skypair

17. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Wow! A masterpiece of double-talk and twisted reasoning. I salute you.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mr. Skypair has indeed some airy thoughts . But though they have the characteristic of air and its insubstantial qualities -- he is inventive . Turning passages in John 6 around so that they are unrecognizable is his new specialty .

19. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Just One Will Do

Martin:

That was not my request.

Please show, from a non-Calvinist, a defintion of Calvinism that you would at least find agreeable enough to say that he has at least captured the essence of Calvinism from which a discussion can begin.

My point is simple: The Calvinist will accept no defintion unless it 100% validates the claims of Calvinism.

Thanks,

LM

20. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

How many "calvinists" define those who do not hold to the heretical doctrine of irresistbale grace as arminians? They all are wrong each and every time.