1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Favorite Historians

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Martin, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This being a history forum and everything I thought a thread on people's favorite historians would be interesting. This is also in response to a thread on the politics forum in which David Barton's historical "scholarship" was raised. Btw, I have made my views on Barton well known in that thread.

So, who are your favorite historians (any era, subject)?

For me it is really easy. Mark Noll and Edwin S. Gaustad always top my list. There are others that I read, and I love original sources, but those are the top two for me. Gaustad's work on Roger Williams, on whom he has written two books, is my favorite of his works. I also enjoyed his book on Thomas Jefferson (Sworn on the Altar of God). As for Noll, well honestly, I like everything I have read from him. He has several great "over-view" books (Old Religion In A New World, History of Christianity in America and Canada, Turning Points, etc) but he has also written some fine books on more specific subjects.

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Among my favorites: Barbara Tuchman, James McPherson, Shelby Foote, Paul M. Johnson, William C. Davis, Robert K. Massie, Robert Caro and William Manchester (although the last two are really journalists, not historians.) I also like the work of Antonia Fraser, Robert Graves and Colleen McCullough.

I'm sure I've left a favorite out somewhere.

3. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Goodness me....Colleen McCullough???????? must admit have never read anything after Tim, and that crazy thing which was made into a really really bad thing which was a pot boiler set in early country Oz

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I mentioned her because I was taken by her novels on the Roman Republic and Empire. I have read three of the novels (there are six total) and I was impressed by her attention to historical detail, going so far as to publish a glossary that defines everything from the tortured Roman political system to customs and manners of the period.

I have not read anything else by her - including the above-mentioned novel whose name shall not be spoken.

5. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

ahhh haa RSR, I shall check her out in the library. I do know the poor woman is going blind in her beautiful home of Norfolk Island....does she still write.....that pot boiler , I simply cannot remember the name of it....ah yes it was the Thorn Birds I think

6. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I like William Manchester. Read his three volume tome on Churchill, "The Last lion".
    Churchill is not a bad writer of history either. After all:

"History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it".

7. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #7 Eliyahu, Feb 8, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  8. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

Paul Johnson and Robert Caro would be at the top of my list. Have enjoyed/am now enjoying David McCullough as well.

I would add that Churchhill's History of the English Speaking People is well worth reading as well.