1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Favorite study bibles

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Priscilla Ann, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Matt H.

Matt H. New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    KJV Study Bible

Dear Priscilla Ann,

I read from a plain NKJV Bible and use the KJV Study Bible published by Thomas Nelson Publishers for its commentary and notes as well as other commentaries when necessary. As BobinKy stated, the commentary was originally produced by Liberty University staff and is in line with independent Baptist theology. I'm not a pastor or Sunday school teacher either.

You can get the same KJV Study Bible as the 400th edition for cheaper by purchasing this one (I'm assuming they have the same notes and I think they are just promoting a special edition of this study Bible for this year):

KJV Study Bible

Love,
    In Christ,

Matt H.

2. Matt H.

Matt H. New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Difference between KJV Study Bible and KJV Study Bible 400th Year Anniversary Edition

Dear Priscilla Ann,

Two differences between the study Bibles I just noticed is that the 400th Year Anniversary Edition includes a 24-page full-color historical booklet about the KJV Bible and two ribbon markers instead of one.

Love,
    In Christ,

Matt

3. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

The choices are almost overwhelming; I guess that's why it's so hard to make a decision. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. With regard to the NLT, isn't that more of a paraphrase? Or am I wrong about that?

4. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

Hi, Matt!

I have to admit that the KJV is very difficult for me to read; I'm just not used to the old English. I do have an inexpensive copy for reference purposes. (Having been raised as a Catholic, I had no exposure to the KJV as a child, so that is probably why it is so difficult for me.)

I do like the NKJV and I appreciate that it is a more literal translation than an NIV or NLT. While I really like the information in study bibles, the amount of study notes on a page can somtimes be a distraction from scripture. I want to focus on actual scripture, but sometimes I do need a little help.

Thanks for your response!

Priscilla Ann

5. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I believe they call it dynamic equivalence.

6. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

Thanks, Robert! You are right. :thumbs:

7. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

Priscilla Ann...

Perhaps, you can put together a few thoughts about the type of help you need when you read actual scripture. For example, do you want:

• Doctrinal or theological interpretation -- how a specific passage relates to a specific doctrine affiliated with some school of biblical interpretation (church tradition or denomination)?
    • Meaning of specific words in the original languages of the Bible (Hebrew--OT, Greek--NT) -- what did a specific Hebrew or Greek word mean at the time a specific book of the Bible was written; where does a specific Hebrew or Greek word (or English word) appear in the Bible?
    • Cultural or customs interpretation of a specific passage -- how did the Hebrews or first century Christians do such and such activity in everyday life?
    • Geographical interpretation -- where was the location and what was the physical description (in biblical days) of a specific place mentioned in the Bible?
    • Archaeological interpretation -- have any archaeological digs revealed remains of a specific place mentioned in the Bible?
    • Chronological interpretation -- when was a specific passage written, who wrote it, and was it edited before the scripture canon was closed?
    • Application interpretation -- how does a specific passage relate to my life today?

And so on. . .

...Bob

8. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

Bob:

A few of the most important features/helps I would find useful are:
    • Word studies - the meanings of words in their original languages
    • The culture & customs of the people who were hearing the message -- What did it mean to them?
    • How can I apply these teachings to my life?
    • Aside from those features, a sharp readable font is an absolute necessity as I am at an age where my vison seems to be deteriorating a bit.
    All of the ideas and suggestions I have received in this discussion are much appreciated.

God Bless!

9. shodan

shodan Member
    Site Supporter

Archaeological Study Bible

The Zondervan Archaeological Study Bible fills a huge gap and really helps with understanding the context. Includes historical notes on customs, places etc.

see intro here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06XtxDnbfqY

10. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

Shodan:

Thank you so much for the the link. After viewing it, I think that the Archeological Study Bible might be just what I need to supplement the study bibles I already have. The notes on customs, etc. should be a great aid in my understanding of scripture.

PA

11. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

It is a legit translation, and a very good one, for that matter. I use it quite a bit and recommend it for personal reading.

Its name unfortunately associates it with The Living Bible, which, though I'm not opposed to it completely, is a paraphrase, not a translation.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes,the NLTse does get a bum rap for the association with the old LB.

The HCSB gets a raw deal by being called a Baptist Bible.

The TNIV got very bad,and unfair treatment for a host of unwarranted charges.

And on it goes...

13. TomVols

TomVols New Member

It is a good translation on the more dynamic side of the ledger. At times, TLB could be quite literal. Seems like some just react viscerally negative to anything. People got up in arms at "The Book" campaign over the LB; the fact that the ESV even exists keeps some awake at night (I have no idea why); the duplicity regarding the TNIV; the supposed conspiracy with the original NIV; the so-called Calvinism of the (choose one): NIV, ESV, KJV.

Conspiracy knows a thousand sons. Make that a million with the blogosphere.

14. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

Priscilla Ann...

I am glad you are thinking about the Zondervan Archaeological Bible for your interests in culture and customs of the Bible. It comes in two translations: NIV 1984 and KJV. Only the NIV 1984 translation comes in a large print format, which I recommend because the font size in the regular format is small. Here is the webpage at Christian Book Distributors: NIV Archaeological Study Bible hardcover, large print.

Zondervan also publishes a commentary series, which is an excellent and beautiful way to study culture and customs, if you have the shelf space and budget: Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary Old Testament (5 volumes) and Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary New Testament (4 Volumes). The New Testament series is also available in paperback, however, I recommend the hardback format.

. . .

There are numerous options for word studies, as this search results from CBD shows.

A good (and cheap) way to get started is Mounce's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old & New Testament Words.

Several years ago Thomas Nelson published the wonderful Open Bible, which is no longer published. One of the excellent sections in the Open Bible was the Biblical Cyclopedic Index, which contained 300 short word studies along with 8,000 entries for subjects, names, places, concepts and doctrines. Last year Thomas Nelson published this index in a convenient paperback size: Nelson's Biblical Cyclopedic Index: The Best Bible Subject Index Ever. I highly recommend this resource for every Bible student--young and old.

I love doing biblical word studies. I keep a notebook and write down notes as I weave through the fabric of English and Hebrew and Greek.

Another nice online resource (free) is to search the lexicon tools at Blue Letter Bible. There is a wealth of information at this website, so you may also want to check out the home page and browse around.

. . .

To apply scripture to your life, as I wrote in a previous post of this thread, I recommend the Life Application Bible, which comes in various translations and formats.

Another approach are theme study bibles. I have used several over the years. Currently my wife enjoys the The Grandmother's Bible: Nourishing Grandmothers to Nurture Grandchildren, NIV Hardcover. There are several notes and sidebars in this unique study bible, including lined pages in the back to record notes about our grandchildren.

Of course, the list of theme study bibles is pretty endless. I have had several over the years and I usually have one or two on my personal bible shelf. Right now, I am thinking of adding the Mosaic Bible from Tyndale House.

...Bob

#34 BobinKy, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2011
  15. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

What? No one has mentioned the Dake's Annotated study bible? I have one, and use it sporadically. It's a 7.5 out of 10. The study notes are a bit much, but I do like the Greek-Hebrew words it has. The Greek-Hebrew by Spiros Zohadiates(sp?)study bible is one that I HIGHLY recommend...I really like this one! Just kidding about the Dake. I do like it, but understand why a lot don't.

16. Osage Bluestem

I have a lot of bibles. The ones that I really use the most are the following:

Thompson Chain Reference - NIV
    Macarthur Study Bible - NKJV
    Reformation Study Bible - ESV
    ESV Study Bible

17. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

My Leonard's Genuine Berkshire Leather Rebound Believer's Study Bible NKJV.