1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FBC Dallas and Christmas Wars: Is this Kingdom work?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jaigner, Dec 8, 2010.

1. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Dear Matthew,

Still not a liberal.

Your posts, however, are very divisive and unwarranted.

Your friend,

jaigner

2. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Your website might be entitled straightwalk, but you sure don't talk straight.

3. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Have to compare apples to apples. So when you define what you are asking, I will answer the question. It makes a difference; has the congress, and the president of the United States, declared this holiday to be a nationally recognized holiday? Has it been upheld by the Supreme court?

4. matt wade

Coming from you that's the utmost compliment. Since we are such great friends, what are you getting me to Christmas?

5. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

???????????

6. matt wade

Your refusal to answer a question.

7. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Sigh, never mind.

8. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Not refusing. I want the specifics very clear.

9. matt wade

OK, here's a question.

Should a business owner be allowed to tell an employee that they can't promote their individual religion, while on the clock, regardless of whether it is a national holiday?

10. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Luther was responding to clear abuse and compromising doctrinal error against the church.

FBC is being petty, mean, and unkind. They are going to alienate themselves and other Christians by association. Yes, the Bible is clear that Christians are going to be hated, but they don't have to provoke the wrath of others.

The Church's mission is a "power under," not a "power over" model. Does the world hate us? We should respond with love and grace.

The Bible is also clear about this, as well.

11. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Isn't it our mission to approach other believers with attitudes of reconciliation?

PM me your personal address and I'll make sure you get something nice. You live in a cold place? Like scarves? Ties?

12. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Let me answer.

An employer should not have the right to dictate his or her employees interaction with the customer, to such a point that the employee must ignore socially recognized mores. In other words, if a person says "Merry Christmas" to you, and the socially accepted, nationally recognized, appropriate response is to say "Merry Christmas", then the employer should not be able to censor that person in such a way as to ignore this custom.

In the same way, an employer should not be able to tell his or her employees to wear shirts with offensive language, or to be rude to the customers. For example, an employer should not be allowed to require the employee to say "Shut up, stupid idiot!" when the person asks a question about a product. Nor should the employer be able to require an individual to blow their noses with pages of the Bible.

Wicca, Islam, and the other pagan religions, do not have holidays which are nationally recognized, and a part of the culture. Ramadan is not a recognized holiday, nor is it socially normal to go about telling everyone "Happy Ramadan." This country, for better or worse, is based at least somewhat on a Judeo/Christian worldview. People who choose to believe other things, have the right to do so. They also have the right to stand in the public square, and preach these beliefs. What they do not have the right to do, is to MANDATE a cultural change.

Thus, in the same way, an employer can forbid an employee from speaking Spanish while on the clock (since it is rude, and the employer cannot understand him), but NOT forbid him from speaking English, since this is the recognized language of this country.

13. matt wade

I was under the impression that you valued freedom. Now I find you value it only when it suits your purposes. Now that I know your viewpoint I can adjust my conversations with you accordingly.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Actually it is.
    I know it's meaning...and will continue to use it where it fits. Getting all offended because someone wishes you Happy Holiday's instead of Merry Christmas sounds like something a Pharissee would do back in the day. There are more than one holiday during December, btw...or do you think Christians hold the copyright to manmade holidays in December?
    If you don't know what liberalism is, please don't call out someone on not knowing what legalism is.
    :laugh: Let's see, churches and individuals are crying, getting all offended like the world does, putting people on "naughty lists" and I'm the whiner.

15. matt wade

And posts like "Your posts, however, are very divisive and unwarranted." help you with that goal of yours, how?

As I've told you in PM, you've made your point that you don't like the way I interact with you. As I told you in PM, I heard you....now move along.

16. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I do value freedom. Including the employees freedom to live within the cultural norms of society.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

To the first question, yes...and to the second, I never said that. It's stupid, but ok. It's not violating anything.
    Complete false dichotomy. Inclusion of all in a mere greeting is not exclusion of some. Unbelievable...
    Unfortunate, but has nothing to do with the OP.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Who sets such a standard...you? The church? You know what I say when someone wishes me a Merry Christmas (or Happy Holidays)? "Thank you, and the same to you". Are you going to put me on this churches naughty list now? Who are you to tell a private business how they can tell their customers what greeting to use at any point of the year?

I know, I must be such a liberal because I don't respond the way some on this thread would :rolleyes:

#58 webdog, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2010
  19. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

No matter how complex and entangled you try and make the answer. If it legally was challenged and affirmed that a Christian had the right to express himself about Christmas while at work, it is naive to believe that the end result wouldn't be equal rights for all religions.

20. matt wade

So you would have no problem with a trans-gendered person working the front counter of your store? What about an open homosexual? Those are both quickly becoming cultural norms.