1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FBI willing to go undercover in Congress if necessary

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by poncho, Nov 6, 2006.

1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

By Greg Gordon
    McClatchy Newspapers

WASHINGTON - The new chief of the FBI's Criminal Division, which is swamped with public corruption cases, says the bureau is ramping up its ability to catch crooked politicians and might run an undercover sting on Congress.

Assistant FBI Director James Burrus called the bureau's public corruption program "a sleeping giant that we've awoken," and predicted the nation will see continued emphasis in that area "for many, many, many years to come."

So much evidence of wrongdoing is surfacing in the nation's capital that Burrus recently committed to adding a fourth 15- to 20-member public corruption squad to the FBI's Washington field office.

In the past year, former Republican Reps. Duke Cunningham and Bob Ney have pleaded guilty to corruption charges. FBI agents are investigating about a dozen other members of Congress, including as many as three senators. The Justice Department also is expected to begin seeking indictments soon after a massive FBI investigation of the Alaska Legislature.

If conditions warrant, Burrus said, he wouldn't balk at urging an undercover sting like the famed Abscam operation in the late 1970s in which a U.S. senator and six House members agreed on camera to take bribes from FBI agents posing as Arab sheikhs.

"We look for those opportunities a lot," Burrus said, using words rarely heard at the bureau over the last quarter century. "I would do it on Capitol Hill. I would do it in any state legislature. ... If we could do an undercover operation, and it would get me better evidence, I'd do it in a second."

SOURCE

Sounds good to me. Git r done! But don't stop there, go after the crooked contractors too.

2. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

"Make it so, number one!"

3. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

And if they get a few democrats in the sweep, so much the better. Take every one of the crooks down.

Let the chips fall where they may.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder if Murtha will be caught up in this "sting" like he was before.:smilewinkgrin:

Maybe not. Hopefully he learned his lesson.

5. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

I think, if the election goes as expected, there's going to be much more investigation on corruption in government.

Should be an interesting two years.

"I'm your worst nightmare; a democrat with the power of suppena."
    - The Voice in Bush's Closet