1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Feet Washing.

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by danthebaptist, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danthebaptist

danthebaptist New Member

Question:

Some in our church are leaning in the modern position of doing away with the feet washing part of the communion service.

We have the Lord's Supper quarterly and the feet washing with only one of those services.

Here's the question: Do you or don't you? If you do, how often? If you don't why don't you?

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

I think it's a great symbol of servant leadership.

But communion can stand fine without it.

I do think that there are certain logistical issues to consider (men/women, large groups, etc.); foot-washing in my experience has been meaningful in smaller gatherings (once, our SS class did it. ANother time, a part of our youth group did it. Both times, it was a great experience)

3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

The Pastor washed the deacons feet once, but the general congregation did not participate.

So, I would say no, our IFB church does not do it.

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Foot washing

Occasionally we will have a special foot washing service. However it is not a regularly scheleduled event. Each person in the congregation washes at least one other person's feet. :1_grouphug:

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Jhn 13:14If I then, [your] Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.

Jhn 13:15For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.

Jhn 13:16Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.

Jhn 13:17If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.

We have a set time of the year that we have communion and feetwashing, in the Old Regular Baptist. I would be afraid not to, just to be honest, for in no way do I want to put myself above the Lord. IMO

BBob,

#5 Brother Bob, Feb 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2008
  6. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I have never even seen such a thing, nor would I participate as either a washer or a washee. When people lived in the desert wearing sandals, maybe it made sense. Today, it seems to me to be an anachronistic practice.

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

OK, question: If you're pentecostal and do foot-washing...

Would getting "happy in the Lord" and running around/dancing constitute a spin cycle?

:D

8. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :applause: :applause: :applause:

9. danthebaptist

danthebaptist New Member

Glad to hear some still do it. Bob, do the ORB churches still sit segregated at all services or just for the feet washing?

We sit separate only at the feet washing.

We have paired off and washed one another's feet, and we sometimes have had that you wash the person to your right, and so on down the line until the last person in the bench comes around and does the first.

I think it interesting that some think it a cultural thing and yet Christ gave that command just as much as he gave the command for the rest of the Lord's Supper. Are we being like Peter if we say we refuse to do it? I wouldn't want to toss it out for anything either.

It ends up being the most meaningful service we have out of the entire year. We also have people come from the community to that service just to "watch" Many of them have told me how beautiful they thought it was that the Baptists continued to practice such a thing. I wonder if we are robbing ourselves of a blessing if we refuse to do it because Christ said happy we are if we do do what he says.

And since we ain't Pentecostal, we don't spin dry, we just go through the wringer of life, but then we're old fashioned you know.

Just settin' here drip drying,

Dan:saint:

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

From what I've read about it, their feet were always dirty, even after bathing. So that when you had guests you had your servant wash their feet, if you didn't have a servant you yourself washed your guests feet. It seemed to have been common, as a good host your guests feet were washed.
    It isn't instructions to wash feet, it's instructions to be a servant.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

12. danthebaptist

danthebaptist New Member

If it is simply instructions to "be a servant" I believe Christ had already taught this elsewhere. He gave the pefect servant example and no doubt he does want to teach us to be a servant. He 'humbled' himself and wants to teach us to humble ourselves too.

I believe part of His reason for telling us to keep this ordinance is the act of a servants heart and humility. It is humbling to sit there and let some dear brother (or in your case sister) wash your feet. The first time I participated as a younger man, I was paired with a dear saint of God, deacon in his 80's. Talk about humbling.

I've heard some tell me that feet washing shouldn't be practiced because it's only found in one of the Gospels and not all four. What an excuse. :(

There IS a great spiritual picture here: 1. Being a sevant, yes 2) Humility
    3) Following in Christ's footsteps 4) Need for confession

I have come to the conclusion that what Jesus said in vs. 10 " He that is wahed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all."

Of course anyone would know that wearing sandals or going barefoot, they needed to wash their dirty feet. I'm old enough to remember when we took a bath every Saturday night if we needed it or not. ;) During the rest of the week in those days B-4 modern conveniences we would just wash our feet at night, perhaps face and of course hands. The reason being is our feet got dirty from going barefoot all day and Mama would holler out, 'wash those feet before you all go to bed and dirty up the sheets."

My understanding of a spiritual lesson here is this: It's like Jesus was telling Peter, 'Pete, you don't need a whole bath. You've already had your bath. You just need to wash your feet.'

Do you get it? We had our bath when we rec'd Christ and were born again. Our baptism pictures that bath. But as we walk through this dirty world, our feet get dirty so's to speak. That is we sin. We don't need to get saved all over again but we need to confess our sins. I John 1:9 was written to believers you know. So, as I walk through this dirty world and get my feet dirty from sin, I need to confess it and have my feet washed. That is the Lord who washed me off completely or saved me, gave me my bath, is now forgiving me and cleaning up my feet. I don't need to be baptized again and again which was a picture of my bath. An outward physical representation or picture of what had inwardly happened. I get baptized once. But I need to stay confessed up and in a right relationship with my Lord. This is something I do continually and so therefore the foot washing pictures that.

Do you understand what I'm a trying to say? ? ?

To think it is cultural and or that we don't have to do it or to refuse to do it, then we might as well refuse baptism (which was originally a Jewish rite by the way) and the Lord's Supper or communion as some call it (Which also was an outgrowth of a Jewish practice, the Passover). After all, are not baptism and the Lord's supper also figurative? Why is it we hold those two but when it comes to feet washing THAT ONE is figurative.

Could it be we don't want to humble ourselves? Could it be we don't want to take on the actual role of a servant? Could it be that actually it might picture our hearts condition and we want to hang on to our sin and not confess it? (Go to bed with dirty feet, like Mama would have said.)

It would seem fundamental Christians would take Christ's word literally. That's why we DO practice believer's baptism by immersion. That's why we DO practice the Lord's supper. But, let's throw out foot washing?
    The scripture says: "Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for sso I am. If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you." John 13: 13-15.

Then read vs. 16. Are we saying we are "greater than the lord" if we refuse to participate in this ordinance?

"If ye know thes things, happy are ye if ye do them".

So, if you want to spiritualize it all, then become a Quaker. At least they and the Salvation Army are consistent in their practice.

Yours happy doing it! :jesus:

Dan

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

Dan, why don't you continue is other threads you've started? You hit and run it seems.

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

Once again, Dan shows us the undeniable truth: if we don't agree with him on everything, in every way, we have forsaken the fundamentals, we're proud and unrepentant, and we think we're better than God. :rolleyes:

The arrogance of your posts grows tiresome.

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

Why should he discuss anything?

He makes the OP, and then makes his one other point: "Disagree with me, and you're a reprobate."

What else is left to say?

16. danthebaptist

danthebaptist New Member

DonnA

It would seem I am more at home here than the other forum where it seems there are more liberals posting than conservatives and I don't care to waste my time arguing with those who have no desire to hold by the old way.

17. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

First of all its not about being a servant of Christ. Joh 15:20 Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have KEPT my saying, they will keep yours also. Do you keep his saying? And first of all we are not his servants that do these things that he ask of us.Joh 15:15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you. Do you know what the Lord has done to you? Did he clean you with a wrag when he washed you from your sins. Washing your brothers feet is not a natrual thing. It is a spiritual thing. We don't wash our brother feet because they are dirty. What did Christ say to Peter. Let me give you the verse.Joh 13:7 Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter.
    Joh 13:8 Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me. Do you have any part with Jesus Christ? Will you let him wash your feet? Is Jesus Christ your Lord and Master? Did he wash your feet? Did he wash you from your sins?Joh 13:14 If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet. Jesus said these word that I say unto you are spiritual and they are life. So do we look at the bible natrualy or spiritualy?

18. danthebaptist

danthebaptist New Member

Hey,

It would seem that you in the "politically correct" crowd just want to let all things slide and pat eachother on the back.

I was raised there is a fine rope of sand that binds Baptists together. We surely ought to be free to disagree. I did not realize that all Baptists had to subscribe to a certain belief system of liberalness. When I express my opinions it is bashing, but yours aren't? :laugh: :laugh:

I thought this forum was for where we can discuss what we believe and why. If you disagree with me, fine. I've always said people are free to be wrong if they want to. You no doubt think that I am wrong, but you would not give me the same freedom of thought or expression?

Rbel, from your posts over on the other forum, I would wonder why you would even consider yourself a fundamentalist, or is it you just like to belittle anyone who doesn't hold your liberal viewpoint.

I never expect anyone here to believe what I do, I am not in fellowship with you all. I do believe those with whom I'm in close fellowship should believe as I do on as many points as we can, but again, we too have a right to disagree.

If you people think that everyone should believe as you do and go around telling people how great they are, then join the Lutherans or some liberal church with a creed where they have some watered down pablem to feed folks instead of the meat of the word.

If what I say gets under your skin, then check out the Bible for yourself and ask God to guide YOU as to what it says. No scripture the Bible says is of private interpretation, however many of you all seem to think that your interpretation is allright but I'm not entitled to any opinion unless it agrees with your liberal one, right?

As the scandinavians would say: UFF DA! :BangHead:

19. rbell

rbell Active Member

Dan,

Is comprehension an issue for you? No one here is denying your right to have an opinion. You keep saying,

How many times must I repeat myself...you have every right to have an opinion. However...I don't come in here proclaiming my opinion and interpretation as being on the same level with Scripture. My opinion on hair and makeup...is my opinion. You come in and say, "Disagree with me? You're a reprobate and a liberal, and you don't believe the Bible."

Your arrogance is the problem.

I do hold to the fundamentals of the faith. IMO, a woman wearing makeup, or not, is NOT a fundamental of the faith. Unfortunately for you, it seems that every single hill is one to die on. That's sad.

Furthermore, comments such as...

Are uncalled for. Rudeness is not a fruit of the Spirit. You've been insulting my faith in God since you got here, and it's not appreciated.

Like I have said--a dozen times, it seems--I have no problems in disagreeing with folks over interpretation & theology. But when you go for the throat and I become a godless reprobate over such pivotal issues as whether Aunt Sally wears lipstick...well, that's just silly.

20. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dan, there are others here who believe like you do about some issues. The difference is that they present their beliefs without resorting to name calling when someone presents an opposite view. We all have strong opinions about certain issues, but most of us are mature enough to disagree in a respectful manner. Name calling and talking down to people won't change their minds. I believe if you changed your style a little, you would feel more at home here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.