1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

feng shui

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by chipsgirl, Jan 25, 2005.

1. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I saw a segment on The Early Show about Feng Shui. What's your all take on that? (Fact, fiction, sinful, great,etc..)

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The belief that your furniture and its position in your house relegating the fate and happiness level of your life.......?

Stupid.
    More stupid.
    Real stupid.
    Stupidly stupid.

Peace-

YSIC
    Scarlett O.
    <><

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Feng shui is movement of chi-the universal life force. Since our life force is not based on chi or Buddism I would say it's quite wrong for us to practice this custom and if nothing else, acceptance of it might harm our testimony to the unsaved and young Christians.

I know nothing more about Feng Shui.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

I agree. Since it is part of a false religion(Buddism), then it would particapating in a false religion for a christian to do it.
    I also agree with Scarlet. LOL

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think it's connected with Bhuddism, but I could be wrong.

I always thought that it was an "organization" of your immediate and extended "environment" as to bring about harmony. It is a Chinese principle based on principles that don't "jive" with the Bible.

Recently, it's been a big kick with interior design. But it can be connected with anything that can be "organized". Your country, your kitchen cabinets, your desk at work....

It's not a Godly principle.

Organization is good. God is not a God of chaos, but organization won't bring you internal peace and harmony.

Contentment maybe that your house is clean and your environment is in a state of cleanliness, but not peace.

Peace is reconciliation with God.

And that comes from the Prince of Peace only.

It doesn't matter if all around is falling apart, if you are where you are supposed to be with God, then peace is yours.

When we are reconciled to God, our circumstances may not change at all, but they become completely irrelevant to our peace and harmony which comes from God alone, via the Prince of Peace.

Peace-

YSIC
    Scarlett O.
    <><

6. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

I agree with the excellent posts here in response to the question.

7. mhoward1999

mhoward1999 Member

Let me begin by saying I know VERY LITTLE about Feng Shui. What I know of it's principles seem true. Not the part about placement of furniture pulling money into your life and all that garbage, but about open floor plans/traffic patterns. My personal experience is that when I am in a neat, clean, simply furnished environment, I think more clearly and feel more peaceful. I can be in a technically clean environment, but if it is really "busy" or cluttered then I have difficulty concentrating and feel restless. I don't subscribe to it's teaching as a religeous practice or believe that furniture placement has any real power over my life, but I do think it's good decorating sense to have things where there is nice flow, symmetry, etc. We do serve a God of order. That is the part I like. I almost always really like the rooms you see on TV and in magazines that have been "feng shuied."

8. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I remember I once had a friend who was all into Feng Shui. I walked into his apartment and he said "i rearranged it feng shui" my then boyfriend said "all you did was round the corners". I was laughing very hard inside. Really I just think it provides a more organized and cleaner look. I don't know about all that other stuff though. Sounds kinda silly to me.

9. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

Tasteful layout and design is good. Feng Shui no doubt leads to some of that.

But, it is riddled with superstition..."Don't put that plant there, bad things will happen...put the door here, or else your business will not prosper..." Not based on practical considerations, but on superstitions. I've heard these and lots more, and am convinced that it's something to avoid.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

Here are some interesting articles.
    Feng shui is a religion, not just furniture arrangement.

Why You Should USe Feng Shui, about the energeries in life and how to control them.
    http://www.rising-dragon.co.uk/articles/feng-shui/why_use_feng_shui.htm

Why Use So MAny Objects in Feng Shui, the movement of chi in the home.
    http://www.rising-dragon.co.uk/articles/feng-shui/why_use_feng_shui_objects.htm

A Comparison of the House and Body
    http://www.rising-dragon.co.uk/articles/feng-shui/book69Chap7.htm

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The phrase means "wind and water". At its core, it involves the physical layout of one's environment to maximize positive energy (in the nonmystical sense). The physical design attributes of feng shui are beneficial. The mystical properties of feng shui should be discarded. I myself had a Christian feng shui practicioner (yes, I'm serious, believe it or not) come to my house to discuss furniture layout. She had me move a few items, add some pieces like a small fish tank (which I absolutely love) and some living plants, and now my house is much more relaxing and inviting. The flow of traffic in the house is much more welcoming. Interestingly, while I was in my dating mode, I received compliments on my decor from several dates. I guess there are very few bachelors my age who have a good decorating sense and are straight :eek:

I do agree with PJ, though, that there are several superstitious aspects which should simply be avoided.

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I researched and wrote an article about Feng Shui that was published, and have been on the radio about it as well as spoken on it publicly. I also have an article on my site. The reason I did this is because I could not find any good Christian info on it.

Feng Shui is a very complicated form of several types of divination -- it's all divination and superstition. I don't see how there can be a Christian feng shui practitioner -- if he or she is really doing feng shui. The results may be nice but the methods are totally against the Bible. It's one of the most complicated systems of divination I've ever researched (and I used to be an astrologer and astrology is quite complicated). I did the research -- I can guarantee it goes aginst the Bible.

Here's the article on my site with an excerpt:
    http://cana.userworld.com/cana_fengShui1.html

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The basis for Feng Shui is attracting good chi and deflecting bad chi . Balancing yin and yang and also having the 5 elements in harmonious relationship is key. Here's a little more from the same article:
    The published article is here (it's similar to my website article but more organized):
    http://www.equip.org/free/DF250.htm

14. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

[​IMG] That's a good one, Marcia. :D

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm Feng Slob myself.

When things are neat and arranged I am in an internal disarray.

HankD

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Aesthetics and its ability to reduce stress is unscriptural? Absolutely ridiculous.

17. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Feng Shui?
    Sounds remarkably like...Plain Hooey!

[​IMG]
    In HIS service;
    Jim

18. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

:eek: Whoops! Watch the humor, Mister. I almost fell off of my chair laughing!!

[​IMG] Peace-

YSIC
    Scarlett O. [​IMG]
    <><

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've even had teenagers ask me when I am going to clean my office.

HankD

20. donnA

donnA Active Member

Now that is bad