1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Flag

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Arbo, Sep 20, 2012.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

At least he could have tried something original instead of copying these other arrogant narcissists with delusions of grandeur.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#21 NaasPreacher (C4K), Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2012
  2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

And of course this guy as well

[​IMG]

3. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

While we're on the subject of what should/should not be on the national flag of "Christian" USofA, did you ever wonder what that so-called scribbling (Actually it's a statement in Arabic.) is on the top of the national flag of the KINGDOM (not Republic!) of Saudi Arabia?

Well, my dear friends out there in BB land, here's an exact, word-for-word literal translation of that statement that's on the flag of a nation to which both POTUS and/or the Congress of these here "Christian" USofA has deemed it to be "in the best interests of ['Christian'] Americans":

"THERE IS NO GOD BUT ALLAH, AND MOHAMMED IS HIS PROPHET!!"

Therefore, with that FACT in mind, I do hereby propose that we here in "Christian" USofA solemnly petition the Congress of this here "Christian" USofA that the entire, unedited text of John 3:16 be forever written in big, bold letters on the national flag of "Christian" USofA (i.e., "Old Glory," "the Star-Spangled Banner," "the 'Stars and Stripes," etc.)!!!

After all, "What's good for the goose is good for the gander!," isn't it?!!? :thumbsup:

(BTW, I wouldn't suggest that one hold one's breath waiting for the both houses of Congress of this here "Christian" USofA to pass with veto-proof majorities that petition; much less the "Christian" POTUS, signing such a bill into LAW!!) :smilewinkgrin:

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

#24 saturneptune, Sep 21, 2012
  5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Obama has less respect for the Flag than those Islamic radicals we see stomping a burning Flag!

6. billwald

billwald New Member

"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." Maybe flags ARE the problem.

7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Christians don't need a flag. Jesus Christ said: My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

9. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

The post is based on two unusually charismatic, seemingly narcissistic leaders who sought to expand their personal power. The creation and emphasis of a personal symbol by the latter reminds me of the creation and emphasis of a party symbol by the former.

I did not say that the "O" equates to the swastika, but it did remind me of it.

#29 Arbo, Sep 21, 2012
  10. billwald

billwald New Member

Hitler was interested in several pagan religions which might be why he chose the broken cross.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika
    The swastika (Sanskrit: स्वस्तिक) is an equilateral cross with four arms bent at right angles.

"The earliest archaeological evidence of swastika-shaped ornaments dates back to the Indus Valley Civilization of Ancient India as well as Classical Antiquity. Swastikas have also been used in various other ancient civilizations around the world. It remains widely used in Indian religions, specifically in Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism, primarily as a tantric symbol to evoke shakti or the sacred symbol of auspiciousness. The word "swastika" comes from the Sanskrit svastika - "su" meaning "good," "asti" meaning "to be," and "ka" as a suffix. The swastika literally means "to be good". Or another translation can be made: "swa" is "higher self", "asti" meaning "being", and "ka" as a suffix, so the translation can be interpreted as "being with higher self"."

Hitler sent his people all over the world to look for ancient religious objects that had magical powers.

11. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But you did not say so in the original post.

12. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Politicians have made free use of the flag for years, why is this any different? A media created controversy if ever there was one.

13. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

There were many things I didn't say in the OP. I asked if anyone else found the subject matter disturbing, stated that in the essence I did, and didn't see the need to explain further.:rolleyes:

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  15. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bill, art is powerful. Sometimes it speaks more powerfully and brings revolutionary ideas to fruition with more vigor than speeches, guns/tanks, money, and might.

Art fuels the mind and motivates the heart.

That placement of that "O" which represents Obama in the corner of the new flag in place of the symbols of the 50 states which represent the people was not on accident. The supporters of the art and most especially the creators of the art know that.

It's intended to drive people towards their passion - to drive them to support Obama more and with more pride and passion for him. And as nature and science both work - for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction - the result will drive those who oppose him to a greater zeal of opposition. The narcissicism of it all reeks and that will always drive his opponents further away.

Yes, it's art.

But people having been using art since humans drew images in caves to stimulate change and to fuel movements.

16. billwald

billwald New Member

>But people having been using art since humans drew images in caves to stimulate change and to fuel movements.

Agree. Are Baptists iconoclasts?

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

i·con·o·clast   /aɪˈkɒnəˌklæst/ Show Spelled[ahy-kon-uh-klast] Show IPA
    noun
    1. a person who attacks cherished beliefs, traditional institutions, etc., as being based on error or superstition.
    2. a breaker or destroyer of images, especially those set up for religious veneration.

No, I do not think reasonable Baptists attack cherished beliefs, traditional institutions or destroy images. They might speak out against those that represent false doctrine, so no, Baptists are not iconoclasts. Where did you ever come up with that name?

18. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are iconoclasts in the second meaning, though we tend to be a lot more peaceful about it than the Protestant iconoclasts of the Reformation. It originated with a dust up in the Greek Orthodox Church during the Byzantine Empire period.

19. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

I guess some people have difficulty recognizing sarcasm, OR.

My point wasn't that Christians NEED a flag, because, as you pointed out, the kingdom of Jesus Christ "...is not of this world...."

What I was trying to get across was that we (esp. our [yours & my] duly elected POTUS &/or our congress people [House &/or Senate {probably some of them you/I supported}]) seem to practice a blantant double standard when it comes to those foreign nations "we" deem as our "friends."

If my memory serves me correctly, "we" (i.e., our POTUS &/or the members of our nation's Legislative Branch [H&S {both D & R}]) deem the "KINGDOM (NOT a Republic!) of Saudi Arabia" to be our "friend" to the tune of some $30 BILLION+ per year of "our" (yours & my) federal taxes (thus, making you & me at least indirectly responsible).

Now, if it is against the principles of us citizens of the US of A to have such blatantly overt symbolism &/or wordings on "our" national flag ("Old Glory," "the Star-Spangled Banner"), why do we openly allow the govt of the KINGDOM of Saudi Arabia (of which, one recalls, nineteen of the twenty-one Sept 11, 2001 terrorists were citizens) to have on its national flag the "mantra" of the Islamic religion?

Moreover, as President GW Bush told us (& more than once, I might add), if Islam is a "religion of 'peace,'" why do we allow the govt of the KINGDOM of Saudi Arabia to display at the bottom of its national flag the brazenly overt symbol of warfare &/or killing (i.e., the "sword")?

"What's good for the goose is good for the gander,"right? :thumbs:

(As I posted earlier, I wouldn't suggest that one hold one's breath until our duly elected POTUS &/or our Legislative Branch members pass by resounding majorities in both houses (HofR & Sen) such a DEMAND upon our "friend," the govt of the KINGDOM of Saudi Arabia.) :smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin::tear: