1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Food Drives

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jul 19, 2015.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You like the confederate flag????

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you feed people in the name of Jesus you are LIVING and DEMONSTRATING the gospel, not just talking about it. (Matthew 25:35, among others)

The tract is much less effective than a loving act.

Why do you seek to do what the Spirit is responsible to do? Christians should do the right thing, both individually and corporately, and live the gospel in word and deed. We are NOT responsible for results, but only for our faithful witness.

That is an unbiblical and hyper-judgmental assessment. Moreover, it assumes that evangelism is something that is separate from the other parts of Christian life. Evangelism is the natural RESULT of Christians living and acting in the power of the Spirit to embody the gospel in word and deed.

Loving your neighbor is the core of evangelism.

I have a question for you: Where in the parable of the sheep and the goats (Matthew 25) does Jesus talk about evangelism?

3. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do. Is that a problem for you, princess?

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is a flag. Do you "dislike" it?

To most who would have that flag (of your generation) it represents the South and a "southern lifestyle." To some, who have the flag, it represents racism. But you consider it the "confederate flag" then it represents a history and I don't know that it falls into a category of "like vs. dislike." I like it as it embodies a spirit of dissension towards the dictatorship of our federal government (but I also realize that states have sold their right to self govern for a price). I suppose today some racists would view the flag itself as racism, while some who are opposed to the SSM ruling would view it as a movement in opposition to a federal dictatorship. But for the most part, I believe, it means to those who display the flag a southern heritage and lifestyle.

Do you believe that Aaron should remove the icon because you don't like it, or because it may mean something to you that it doesn't to him? Does what it symbolizes to you trump what it symbolizes to him?

#24 JonC, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2015
  5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd say, based on his response, he likes it about as much as he likes the Way of the Master logo....

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is an interesting comparison. I have nothing against WOTM’s method of using the Ten Commandments to explain sin and our need for a Savior, but I actually don’t like the WOTM logo. It is, in my opinion, an affront to Christianity and “packaging Christ” for an agenda. Even if WOTM reflected the method Jesus used (which it does not) that should not be taken as endorsement for the program. The logo ignores factors that separate us from 1st Century Judaism. I find such marketing offensive. Until now, I did not realize that others were expected to submit to my sensitivities. Are others are obligated to remove the logo from public display?

7. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He has as much right to use it as an avatar as you have to use a brand's logo as yours.

8. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon, your last two posts were well said.

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Read the book What Did Jesus do cover to cover.

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

I have. It offers some good points but ultimately has too much error to be useful (at least it has too many errors, misrepresentations of Scripture, and flawed theology to be useful in a church setting). Ray Comfort exceeded his calling on that one. More to the point: I don't like the use of Jesus Christ as their logo or mascot for their agenda/method. I have also seen vegetarians do the same ("Jesus wouldn't eat meat"). There is a difference between suggesting people consider what Jesus would do in a situation and telling them that WOTM is what Jesus did in evangelism (partly because it is not). But, my question remains. If I find the logo offensive, should you change it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 JonC, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2015
  11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :wavey: Thanks. I've been here since 2001 and it pleases me that I finally posted something that made sense. :smilewinkgrin:

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You did not comprehend what the book was teaching that much is clear.

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't let it get to your head. Its not often that you post stuff that makes any sense.

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have occasionally disagreed with JonC. Sometimes strongly so. But he can't fairly be charged with nonsense posts. He evidences a gentlemanly attitude and presents his points of view clearly and intelligently. I think you know that down in your heart.

Evan, I think your pride is wounded. You refuse to accept advice even when you ask for it.

And to dismiss the ideas of people as if the posters are mere animals is absurd. You need to grow up.

15. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you afraid he's intruding on your territory? :flower:

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What territory? !? This guy has no territory! :laugh:

17. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    La-La Land? :laugh:

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you Rippon. I have learned from you, even when we have disagreed (perhaps more so at those times). We've had strong disagreements, but I believe that we also shared a mutual respect for each other as brothers in Christ. This is something, unfortunately, I have never witnessed with Evan's interactions on this forum.

Evan,

The book is very easily understood and Ray Comfort makes his case clear. I, just like you, understand what the book is teaching. It is not that I do not like Ray Comfort, and (as I have said before) I believe that God is using Him for the Kingdom. Comfort brings out truths of a redeemed life in that Christians are not stillborn, they bear fruit and are saved to good works. Comfort also offers an approach for those who find evangelism difficult. There is much to admire about Ray Comfort, but the book, “What Did Jesus Do?” is not one of them. I fear that your admiration has become a type of hero worship. You have demonstrated a mentality that seeks not only the approval of men but also men to follow. Whether this is a spiritual, social, or cognitive issue, I do not know. But it is something of which you need to be aware, and I am not sure that you recognize this trait in yourself. When we first started interacting, over a year ago, your personal hero was John MacArthur. I don’t know if you still consider Dr. MacArthur trustworthy (as he, and others at Grace Community, shares the same concerns as I about Living Waters, Ray Comfort, and TWOTM). But at one time you offered MacArthur as others offered Scripture. I believe you are doing the same here. You need to take care that your idolization of the WOTM program does not become a form of idolatry.

At some point I will go back through the book for you (if you would like), and I’ll even look at broader comments that may help, and post it on another thread. It is important that we examine the doctrine men place before us. I do not claim to corner the truth, but I do adamantly claim to be and remain submissive in my understanding and learning to the Word of God. I admire and read many authors, but none are above reproof.
    Please allow Scripture to shape your theology instead of the reverse.

#38 JonC, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2015