1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Food for thought....

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by HeirofSalvation, Dec 27, 2016.

1. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Then why complain about him quoting a bunch of Church Fathers and decry his use of Scripture?
    What you said was:
    "He quoted a bunch of "church fathers" and much scripture out of context."
    But, you just said he quoted "little Scripture"
    Forgive then, my confusion.
    Agreed....much like Augustine who maintains a stranglehold on Christian Theology to this day....even amongst Bible believers.
    I was also somewhat unimpressed with his use of Scripture.
    But, that wasn't the strength of the video, nor it's focus.

2. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

Ah, Fred Phelps, a man, like you, who adheres to all five points of the TULIP.
    "Bible illiterates"....
    like Fred Phelps the adherent of "Sovereign Grace", who agrees with your Soteriology.

3. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I totally understand your sentiments. I do not Agree with Augustine (though i've read LITTLE). I don't believe the totality of the "free will" arguments either.

I have also heard Jesse Morrell on youtube i know his theology is flawed, and his conduct is flawed as a result of it.

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Deflection. Change the subject, that way maybe the rest of the thread readers won't notice you can't respond on topic.

5. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

Oh, no...
    No sir...It wasn't a deflection at all.

This topic is essentially one which effects the Cal-Arm debate, quite directly.

Now, I posted a video which addressed it in some way, and someone threw out a video of Mr. Morell acting like (granted a complete ass)....thus Poisoning the Well for the content of the video.

It was a good move and you jumped right on board with it by bringing out the ever-present "Fred Phelps" name which sullies all attached to it pinning that reference to Morrel, and, by extension....the video.....

A pretty baller move, I'll grant.

What you didn't seem to know or consider, is that I happen to know Phelps is/was a five-pointer (like yourself) turning the tables right back on you. I'm sorry, but you tried to 'gotcha' Morrel with that....and it back-fired.

That's all that happened.
    Truth is, it's irrelevant that both Morrel and Phelps show their arse with those videos.....but....you brought that reference up, not I. If there was a "deflection" it was on the part of whoever posted the video of Morrel being an ass, and you invoking the Fred Phelps name.
    You played the game...I'm just following through.

And your post wasn't a "logical" point at all. There was no logical point you posed to respond to...just a "Well-Poisoning"...please don't sully logic's good name with that.

#25 HeirofSalvation, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  6. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

I don't know much about Morrell...though I have a basic understanding of where he is on this debate topic....
    I'd never seen that video of him being such an arse to that fellow about homosexuality...

I just found this one video of his worth consideration.

I would say, I'm closer to agreeing with him on his Harmartiology and Soteriology even if I think posting videos of himself being a complete jerk to a Liberal Priest is pointless un-productive drivel.

7. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow. You really do live in LaLa Land, don't you. I posted about the hateful conduct of your champion by saying he reminded me of the hateful conduct of Fred Phelps and your only reply is "but he was a Calvinist!" Can you spell "non-sequitur?" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

8. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

This is churlish, childish and unnecessary....also irrelevant.
    1.) He isn't my "champion".....and his conduct was indeed disgraceful. That's true.
    But.............
    You invoked that in order to Poison the Well against the larger point of the video....the METHOD that you chose (to demonize a non-Calvinistic video) was to compare him unfavorably to Fred Phelps.

I pointed out that Fred Phelps is indeed a 5-pointer like yourself.

That beats you at your own game.

I'm sorry, but a slight over-sight on your part means you lose that round.

You brought up Fred Phelps...(I wouldn't have) because that would be nothing more than Poisoning the Well.
    You brought him up because you thought you could Poison the Well against Morrell's video.

You failed to consider that Phelps was a 5-pointer like yourself which makes it entirely too easy to counter-punch that attempt.
    You started that.

I know Fred Phelps is irrelevant.
    I also know that Morrell's idiotic video where he channelled him is irrelevant.

So do you.

But you chose to invoke Phelps anyway.
    If I had brought up Phelps....it would have been non-sequitor....
    But you did

That's called "Poisoning the Well".
    It's a crap tactic and it back-fired on you.
    I counter-punched and it worked.

And you know it.

Can you spell "Poisoning the Well"?

'Cause you tried it, and got your butt-whooped trying the tactic.

Try something else. This round is simply not yours....don't double-down, you won't look good doing it.....There's several more rounds to go perhaps, but this one isn't yours.

And "Non-sequitors" aren't at issue, again, you know that but you are wildly flailing away with hay-makers trying to land a punch with childish insults.

Grow up and realize that invoking Phelps was a stupid tactic.
    Fred Phelps was..........a Non-sequitor....you invoked him, not I...I wouldn't have.
    Of course it is....it's like calling your opponents Hitler. High School Sophomores do that, and they sound no more intelligent than you do right now.

Take my advice....
    Don't get up.

#28 HeirofSalvation, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  9. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

Say anything about HeirofSalvation's posts, except that they're unentertaining.