1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Football (Soccer)

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Botfield, May 24, 2007.

1. Botfield

Botfield New Member

Any other Football (Soccer) fans here? The English season is about to end until August. This weekend we have the play-off finals and then the season finishes.

My team is Wolverhampton Wanderers, who this week have been bought by proprty magnet Steve Morgan (he is worth around £450 million - US$900 million), and wants to get us amongts the elite.

Manchester United have won the Premier League title, beating Chelsea. Chelsea won the FA Cup and the League Cup. AC Milan have won the Champions League Trophy, beating Liverpool.

2. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

It would be good if if we could have more discussion about football here, but our American brethren mostly care little for the game, so it is rarely discussed. I was at the FA Cup Final on Saturday to see Chelsea beat Man U. Of course, as a Chelsea fan it was a great occasion, but for a neutral I concede it wasn't the show piece hoped for. The New Wembley Stadium is amazing. TV pictures do not do it justice. In spite of having more toilets than any other building on earth, believe it or not you still had to queue to get in. Still over all it was a great day out.

Do you get along to Molyneaux often?

3. Botfield

Botfield New Member

Hi! So, a Chelsea fan? The new Wembley does look great on TV. Shame it cost so much and took so long to build! lol.

No, I don 't get along that often to Molineux. Hopefully, under the new owner, we will be up there with you sometime soon. (Well, I can dream can't I?) ;)

4. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Yes, I am a Chelsea fan, have been following them since 1970, so I'm not just one of the prawn sandwich brigade who have followed the big money and success. I remember when we were in the old Division 2 (long before the Abramovich era).

I would love to see Wolves come up - they have a great history, and I have alway had a bit of a soft spot for them since the days of Derek Dougan.

5. Botfield

Botfield New Member

Bristol Rovers have just beaten Shrewsbury 3-1 in the League 2 play-off final at Wembley.

6. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

It is my favorite sport especially since it's the opposite of basketball where you don't score huge amounts of points in a short amount of time. That of course is the most foreign aspect to the game for Americans which is why it isn't so popular over here. I don't have TV so I still don't watch it though...

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Sounds like fun - and you would notice the toilets :).

Another Chelsea fan here. Although only a fan since 1995 (not bad for a Yank) I supported them before they rose to the top so I am not a fair weather fan

And with a bit of chagrin here I also admit that I am a fan of Irish football.

I do not like Mourinho. His attitude really grates on me.

8. MrJim

MrJim New Member

:sleeping_2: :sleeping_2: :sleeping_2:

9. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Botfield, this is the typical input from American sportsfans on this board to soccer. Its a pity beacuse the rest of the world seem to find the game enjoyable, and every thread about soccer usually disintegrates into a soccer vs American sports argument.

As for Mourhino I think many of his comments are very much 'tongue in cheek". I think he tries to detract attention from the squad and and play smind games with opposition teams and coaches. Personally I love him! He at leasts livens up sports interviews and you don't hear the same old 'over the moon...sick as a parrot" type comments.

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Thats one thing about my American friends - they are very open minded when it comes to things non-American. They are always willing to learn and to open themselves up to things there are not familiar with. None of them would ever mock or make disparaging comments about sports they do not understand. Instead they would take the time to learn about and appreciate them. Americans are known the world over for their knowledge of and interest in non-American activities.

Well, you mentioned the "tongue in cheek idea." :)

Mourinho is "interesting." I will grant you that :).

11. Botfield

Botfield New Member

Blackpool beat Yeovil 2-0 today in the League 1 play-off final, and will now return to the Championship (formally the second division) for the first time in 29 years.

Ulsterman: I know what you're saying. The MLS is growing however, and soccer as they call it, is being picked up more often. They'll learn one day... ;)

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Don't count on it. They like exciting sports like, er, baseball.

I have learned to love football. It can indeed be "The Beautiful Game" except, sadly, when it comes to things like FA Cup finals.

My favourite sport now is rugby!

#12 NaasPreacher (C4K), May 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2007
  13. MrJim

MrJim New Member

It's not a sport we (older) grew up with. Pele and that's about all I know about it.

What I've watched it is on the dull side (maybe a notch above golf & tennis) compared to the Big 3 American sports (NFL/NBA/MLB), but I expect that in another generation it will change since these days you see kids playing soccer everywhere.

14. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

MrJim I have watched American sports, and I especially find NFL tedious. Why? Because I didn't grow up with it and hence I do not alway understand the game play. I have had it explained to me a few times, but I suppose I would have to play myself to really understand it, and I think herein lies the problem: Most US sportsfans of a certain generation do not understand the rules and strategies of soccer. They just see people kicking a ball. When I watch NFL I see people colliding with each other and somewhere in the melee, or usually over the top of it, a ball becomes airborne. I just don't get it. But I do not take every opportunity to disparage the game when it is discussed by those who love it on this board - its "horses for courses" as far as I am concerned.

Those who enjoy NFL should, quite rightly, enjoy interaction with others of a like mind, and those who enjoy "soccer" should not have to put up with put downs every time we discuss our favourite sport.

15. MrJim

MrJim New Member

Sorry if it came across as a putdown-just addin' an opinion. Consider what I did say-that another generation and soccer will be a dominating sport over here just because it's what the kids are playing.

Is it being played at the collegiate level here in US?

16. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Apology accepted. I don't know if soccer is played at collegiate level in the US, but I do know some good US players are playing in the English Premier League.

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Most colleges have some sort of football programme. Even those who have American football also have men's and women's football teams.

18. Botfield

Botfield New Member

Derby County beat West Bromwich Albion 1-0 in the Championship play-off final yesterday (Monday 28th May).

As a Wolves fan I am very happy! (NB: WBA and Wolves are rivals).

19. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

So how do you think Derby will fare in the Premiership?

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Doesn't it seem like for the most part the same 5-6 teams fight for relegation/promotion each season?