1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

For God so loved the world

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by King James Bond, Jul 30, 2005.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think I have addressed this 3 times at least so far.

God "is not willing that ANY should perish" -- It was not man's decision that God should "care" for ALL as He does.

"God so LOVED the WORLD that HE GAVE..." it was not man's decision for God to provide the Savior for the WORLD as He does.

Therefore the Gospel "Good News" is of the WILL OF GOD - and not something that MAN invented.

In Christ,

Bob

2. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am glad you agree.

You will pardon me if I notice that ALL 4 and 5 point Calivinists DO NOT agree with me on point 1 -- will you not?

I am glad you agree.

You will pardon me if I notice that ALL 4 and 5 point Calivinists DO NOT agree with me on point 1 -- will you not?

The point I am making is that the scope is truly "ALL" the world in John 1.

Ditto -

Sorry about that James.

"Enlightens" is the "benefit" of Christ "the LIGHT" that shines into darkness.

For those who reject Christ it is the benefit of being convicted and being able to choose the light.

For those that ACCEPT Christ it is the benefit of being in UNION with Christ after they make the choice. The choice He enables. It is the benefit of "tasting of the real HEAVENLY gifts and being made partakers of the Holy Spirit, tasting of the good Word of God and the powers of the age to come"

#1. I am sorry for not noticing your argeement before.

#2. I have to keep in those first 4 points since this is a comment on John 1 intended for Calvinists in general and many/most here are either 5 point or 4 point.

But I am happy to be in agreement with you on those first 4 points. Certainly.

#3. I detect some frustration in your post - probably due to my insertion of those 4 points. I appologize for the confusion.

In Christ,

Bob

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Short response form --

4. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I am glad you agree.

I am glad you agree.

The point I am making is that the scope is truly "ALL" the world in John 1.

Ditto -

Sorry about that James.

"Enlightens" is the "benefit" of Christ "the LIGHT" that shines into darkness.

For those who reject Christ it is the benefit of being convicted and being able to choose the light.

For those that ACCEPT Christ it is the benefit of being in UNION with Christ after they make the choice. The choice He enables. It is the benefit of "tasting of the real HEAVENLY gifts and being made partakers of the Holy Spirit, tasting of the good Word of God and the powers of the age to come"

#1. I am sorry for not noticing your argeement before.

#2. I have to keep in those first 4 points since this is a comment on John 1 intended for Calvinists in general and many/most here are either 5 point or 4 point.

But I am happy to be in agreement with you on those first 4 points. Certainly.

#3. I detect some frustration in your post - probably due to my insertion of those 4 points. I appologize for the confusion.

In Christ,

Bob
    </font>[/QUOTE]Bob,

before i address the last point...5 i want to post this one short post.

Since we 1st started posting back and forth i have tried to get you to drop the "arminianism" talk and listen. This has been a hard task to do. If you will do this just as you just did you may find i have always said this. Also..if you reread others that post you may fine MOST agree on these points. Now..i must add we will apply them in may ways.

Yes there are some that preach Christ did not love the all of the world. Calvin did not teach this. I know what you must be thinking right now.."limited atonement". Well...the heading is hard to understand. This was the one point that took me the longest to understand. I'll not take the time to go into this right now. But if you have never heard this before...both sides limit atonement. this is really something i do not debate for this fact. In the end atonement is applied to all believers so the debate is really elsewhere.

Calvinist talk about God can do as he pleases...and they say this means he can hate if he wants. Does God hate? Well the Bible says he can. Some point to romans 9 and say this is only a nation. Even if that is ture does God hate?

So how do i hold to your points? God loves the world and wants all to be saved just as you have posted. I have seen larry post this and king james bond and oldreg...many many others. They are shut off for they also say God can hate also. How does the two jive? In one place the Bible says God does not play favorites. In another place the Bible says God CAN play favorites. How does these 2 jive?

When i was saved i made a choice...i'm am sure as the blue sky it was my choice. Yet now looking back i see God reached out and saved me. Why did that person witness to me? God sent him.

I have a doctrine that lets all of this work together. do i understand it all? not all of it...but i have a pretty good understanding.

This is why i press you some passages. not like those verse i press you on are better then the ones you point to. i'm just saying we have to look at your passages you like to post..and others that i ask you about. our doctrine must take on the whole bible.

I do feel like mine does this. I do not preach ..GOD CAN HATE!! that is silly to do. God loves the world. That is my message. God wants all to be saved..that is pastor larry's message. Yet we know too that if God wants to..He can play favorites. How? My doctrine supports both.

please take sometime and see if this is not what MOST calvinist says.

i'll not post any more tonight...i need to go to the hospital....my niece is really have a tough time

please pray...thanks

In Christ..James

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are saying that "most" do not agree with Edwards on his view of the joy of saints at seeing the destruction of their loved ones SINCE God Himself is joyful at that sight.

And you are saying that we should "be seeing Calvinists" opposing this thread's OP

http://www.baptistboard.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/35/1547.html#000000
    --

Funny how that is not what we see -- huh?

In Christ,

Bob

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Although Calvinists "Say" Limite Atonement - what they MEAN is that Christ did not die for ALL - for the sins of the "Whole World" at the cross.

They further emphasize that point with the system of arbitrary selection that they call "unconditional election".

IF you believe that Christ DIED for ALL - (that is that the pain and suffering DEBT of ALL mankind was accomodated at the cross by the AMOUNT of pain and suffering endured by Christ) then it is pretty hard to ALSO cling to a Calvinist statement on Limite Atonement which speaks of "appeasement of the Father" in the form of SACRIFICE. The Father would be APPEASED for ALL that was paid in a pure "appeasement" model.

Unconditional election is the pure "heart" of the Calvinist argument that supports Edward's views and that is expressed in the OP listed here

http://www.baptistboard.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/35/1547.html#000000

In Christ,

Bob

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Like the way God tells the saints to "hate their parents"?? yes!

Luke 14:26
    " If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple.

The reference in Romans 9 is to a statement in Malachi 1 where we see these words spoken of a rebellious nation - the children of Esau --

God specifically points to their choice to be "Wicked" as the cause of this loss of favor.

He never declares that this is just the capricious arbitrary fickle nature of God determining that Edom should be wicked and hated.

God weeps over the lost just as He claims. If that weeping is to be called "hate" then your hate needs to be "redefined".

In Christ,

Bob

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As I said - a "consistent" view is to SHOW how Malachi 1 "Shows in the details" the "wicked choices of Edom" that result in loss of favor and loss of blessing.

IN Deuteronomy and Leviticus 18 God promises THE SAME results to the children of Jacob - sayhing that IF THEY do the sins of the nations EXPELLED for sin (See Lev 18) then THEY TOO will be "cursed".

IN fact 1Kings 9 has Solomon SHOWING what that curse will be and MAtt 23 has Christ pronouncing that 1Kings 9:6-9 curse on Israel!

Truly - an impartial God!

This shows "Consistent" treatment between Jacob and Esau when it comes to rebellion against God and the curses that follow.

Moses himself sets before Israel "the blessings and the curses" and declares them to be ANYTHING BUT "arbitrary" or capricious.

Even so - God declares that HE weeps over the fate of the lost!

In Christ,

Bob

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God "SAYS" He is impartial.

God "SAYS" He loves the World.

God "SAYS" He is not willing for ANY to perish but for ALL to come to repentance.

So it is not a case of "Arminians IMAGINING that God SHOULD be something like that" -- He CLAIMS this is who He is.

You point out that HE CAN be partial and arbitrary (play favorites if He wants) but it is not a question of what He MIGHT have said or MIGHT be - it is the claims that HE DOES make about weeping over the lost, about LOVING THE WORLD, about dying for sins OF THE WHOLE WORLD.

Once you have THAT - WHY must Calvinism imagine all that rejoicing over the suffering of the lost?? There is only one reason. They have a messed up - contradictory view of God.

In Christ,

Bob

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I.e The support for Johnathan Edward's views are 'no accident".

The Unconditional Election, and Limited Atonement (Christ NOT dying for all NOT appeasing God for ALL) - teachings LEAD LOGICALLY and predictably to the view that Edwards takes!

In Christ,

Bob

11. King James Bond

King James Bond New Member

Bob,

The gospel is available to all people.

There exists what is known as the outward calling for all people to repent.

This is what God's people do......proclaim the Good News!

This does not mean that people are capable of recieving it.

It does not mean people are capable of turning to Jesus Christ with a contrite heart

People are commanded not to sin, EVER!

It really appears that people have a choice in front of them....and they do have a choice.

But all people willingly sin and choose to do so. Thats because we are all sinners.

So even though God has commanded ALL people not to sin.....it does not mean they are capable and able to do so.

There is also what is called the effectual inward call of people.

It is as if Jarthur001 told people about their sin and Jesus Christ to all of his coworkers for example.

They may all hear with their ears what he is telling them, but none of them will understand the light unless God grants them understanding.

Ears but never hearing, eyes but never seeing, hearts of stone.

Paul said;

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

The focus point of what he was saying here was not "believing".

The "believing" was incidental to his message.

Believing is not the power for salvation.

The gospel is! It is THE POWER of GOD!

This means that as Jarthur001 preaches to 100 people, each person will react as God has ordained.

Some might reject, while others might not.

All people are by nature hardened to God.

Some are hard like candles...while others are hard like clay.

Subject each person to the Word of God and it is like fire to both types of hard people.

The difference is that the candles melt before God and get softer.

The candles find that there is not ONE thing in them that merits salvation because of their sins.

The clay on the other hand hears that God is showing sovereign mercy on certain people by His own choice and will.

They hear that God is giving others salvation by His pure and sovereign grace without the people willing, efforting, working, or doing anything to deserve His favor.

It is not fair they shout! Why is it that God should give more to others, less to others, none to others, all of His own will?

They see sovereign election to salvation as a point that somehow must be deservable. There must be SOMETHING we can do to deserve it!

So they cling to things such as "my heart is right"...."I have free will and chose correctly"...."I have more wisdom than the next guy"......the list goes on and on.

The clay is subjected to the same exact truth from the Word of God and it does not get softer.

It gets harder and harder as clay would in a heated furnace.

I have had people tell me things like.....

"I will never love a god like that"

"If thats what the Bible says then God is a ogre"

"Your God is a monster"

The list goes on and on.

God has elected people to salvation before the world and people even existed.

It just so happens to be the way it is.

I hope you embrace it!

The Spirit gives life, the flesh profits nothing.

Who were born not of the will of man, but of God.

God bless! [​IMG] KJB

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Does the Bible teach that we are "enslaved to sin" (Eph 2:1-7, Romans 6) or that we "Willingly choose" to sin?

In Christ,

Bob

13. King James Bond

King James Bond New Member

Bob,

the Bible teach that we are "enslaved to sin" (Eph 2:1-7, Romans 6) or that we "Willingly choose" to sin?

That is a good question.

I would have to say both.

It is our own human lusts. Our hearts.

There is a certain element of sin nature in all of us.

People are enslaved to sin while on this earth in a certain way.

The natural born are enslaved not only in spirit but in flesh. Sin is desirable by people.

What distinction would be between enslavement and desire.......it seems people are enslaved to desires, and people desire to sin many times.

On the other hand, we have those that are born again.

These may sin while it is not their new desire to do so.

Regenerate man has two competing natures, and he chooses between them (though the trend is increasingly toward the good).

Glorified man has only a righteous nature, and will always choose righteousness.

Paul told of struggle;

We know that the Law is spiritual; but I am a mortal, sold as a slave to sin.

I do not understand what I do; for I don't do what I would like to do, but instead I do what I hate.

Since what I do is what I don't want to do, this shows that I agree that the Law is right.

So I am not really the one who does this thing; rather it is the sin that lives in me.

I know that good does not live in me--that is, in my human nature. For even though the desire to do good is in me, I am not able to do it.

I don't do the good I want to do; instead, I do the evil that I do not want to do.

If I do what I don't want to do, this means that I am no longer the one who does it; instead, it is the sin that lives in me.

So I find that this law is at work: when I want to do what is good, what is evil is the only choice I have.

My inner being delights in the law of God.

But I see a different law at work in my body--a law that fights against the law which my mind approves of. It makes me a prisoner to the law of sin which is at work in my body.

What an unhappy man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is taking me to death?

Thanks be to God, who does this through our Lord Jesus Christ!

This, then, is my condition: on my own I can serve God's law only with my mind, while my human nature serves the law of sin.

"This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word." Isaiah 66:2.

God bless you! Regards, KJB [​IMG]

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Any news?

She has been in my prayers.

In Christ,

Bob

15. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Any news?

In Christ,

Bob
    </font>[/QUOTE]Yes..thanks for asking

She is 6 years old and had just a out patient procedure, yet something went wrong and she started himmoraging very bad and for a few hours they didn't know if she would make it or not.

She is much better today..but will take a few more days before she is out of the woods.

Thanks

In Christ..James

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Any news?

In Christ,

Bob
    </font>[/QUOTE]Yes..thanks for asking

She is 6 years old and had just a out patient procedure, yet something went wrong and she started himmoraging very bad and for a few hours they didn't know if she would make it or not.

She is much better today..but will take a few more days before she is out of the woods.

Thanks

In Christ..James
    </font>[/QUOTE]That's great news! [​IMG]

17. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Bob,

In the Arminian camp, i see a need to avoid parts of the Bible. There is a need to focus on Gods Love and avoid other things about God.

What you have not dealt with or choose not to address is Gods self-existence, self-sufficiency nature which is in absolute authority over His creation. To be sovereign, God must also be all-knowing, all-powerful and absolutely free to do as He pleases. If we limit Him in any area He is not Sovereign. Sovereignty is greater than any attribute of God which the word sovereign reigns over.

For instance

You speak well of Gods love. Gods love is very great. If God is not fully in control, circumstances could disable Gods love and make it useless for us. All attributes of God hang on this. Can God be judge and we then have complete justice if God is not in complete control?

a few verses..1 chron. 29: 11-12

11 Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty; for all that is in the heavens and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all. 12 Both riches and honor come from thee, and thou rulest over all. In thy hand are power and might; and in thy hand it is to make great and to give strength to all

ps. 24:1,

1 A Psalm of David. The earth is the LORD's and the fulness thereof, the world and those who dwell therein;

ps 46:10,

10 "Be still, and know that I am God. I am exalted among the nations, I am exalted in the earth!"

ps. 47:7-8

7 For God is the king of all the earth; sing praises with a psalm! 8 God reigns over the nations; God sits on his holy throne.

The real problem with the sovereignty of God is from mans view. If you are saved, then you did in fact make that choice. This however would be wrong to say it was our free will that choose God. God in His sovereity places kings in place to rule.

Wait, i voted for my leaders. Yes, but God placed them there. The Bible tells us that God will put hooks in the jaws of Gog and Magog and pull them down on israel. It may not be worded just like that...but something close. The Bible tells of God choosing Isaac and hating isau. Hating? Yes, hating. These are but a few instances of Gods sovereignty at work. This shows God is in control...where as your verses speak of His love.

In salvation no one can say God loved me because i am good and now I'm going to heaven where I belong. We all belong in hell. We all have sinned. 1 sin or 1,000,000,000 sins...it does not matter. “The rages of sin is death”...so yes, hell should be our home. When Adam fell into sin all of mankind fell with him.

“in sin did my mother conceive me.”
    Therefore..”all have sinned and come short”.

Man is complete helpless..and has no knowledge of God.....

“none seek after God”.

God did not have to send His son. Man was loss. Man was on his way toward hell. Man deserves hell. This could be the end of the story. But God in His love sent His son. WHY? ...

What is man that thou are mindful of him?”

I don't know why. But I do know this. It is because of Gods sovereignty that we have Gods love. Gods sovereignty is in fact real and makes everything else
    about God reality. You ask..Is it really Love or robots? Yes... this is Gods love.

A look at the models shows where the battle is…Gods Sovereignty/ Mans will

Calvinisim…
    1) Total depravity (Original Sin)
    2) Unconditional election (God's Election)
    3) Limited atonement (Particular Redemption)
    4) Irresistible grace (Effectual Calling)
    5) Perseverance of the Saints

1….Mans need with no power
    2…Gods love and Power
    3…Gods control and power
    4…Gods saving Power
    5….Gods Holding POWER

Jacobus Arminius came along and felt he could not defend these 5 points.

These 5 points of Arminius follows:
    1) Free Will with Partial Depravity
    2) Resistible Grace
    3) Fall from Grace
    4) Conditional Election
    5) Universal Atonement

1…Man has the power to choose
    2…man can over power Gods grace.
    3…Man can over power Gods seal
    4…Man deeds are what makes God save him.
    5…Sins of the unsaved over power the Blood of God.

Man will vs Gods power

Is God in control?

romans 9 11-20
    though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or
    bad, in order that God's purpose of election might continue, not
    because of works but because of his call, she was told, "The elder will
    serve the younger." As it is written, "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated."
    What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no
    means! For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have
    mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." So it
    depends not upon man's will or exertion, but upon God's mercy. For
    the scripture says to Pharaoh, "I have raised you up for the very
    purpose of showing my power in you, so that my name may be
    proclaimed in all the earth." So then he has mercy upon whomever he
    wills, and he hardens the heart of whomever he wills. You will say to
    me then, "Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?" But
    who are you, a man, to answer back to God?

Paul shows God does not use His sovereignty arbitrary power as you state He would do if man had no freewill, but rather in MERCY he chooses.

You also said..to believe this would mean man has no responsibility.

But Paul covers that too..
    ”Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?”

Is God unfair..

romans 11
    O the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How
    unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! 34 "For
    who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor?"

part of this is from Isaac..

this is an rhetorically question.....who can know the mind of God?

no one knows His mind.

There are many verse like this that shows God In full control...mixed with Mans need to choose God. I'll not cover Mans need...you have done a great job on this.

Now as to ..non posse non peccare

THE TRUE STATE OF MAN……..

Man can not choose until God reaches out to him. Why? I feel that is because man is Dead in his sins.

Our Lord spoke the religious leaders and asked this rhetorically question himself.

43 Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word.

*****He was not say that were physically deaf, but rather spiritually dead. They could not understand what he was saying.

next look at john 14:16
    And I will pray the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, to be with you for ever, 17 even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him; you know him, for he dwells with you, and will be in you.

*******The lost can not receive the Holy Spirit at his will. The holy spirit is given. The unsaved does not know Him.

next...back to romans 8: 7-8
    For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God's law, indeed it cannot; and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

******The mind of those in the flesh..this is talking of the unsaved..you can read the rest of the passage and see this....the mind is hostile and CANNOT follow him.

next 1 cor. 2:14
    14 The unspiritual man does not receive the gifts of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.

*******The lost can not understand.

also look at romans 3 on this

we have just shown that the lost ...

1) hear NOT the word..
    2) they receive NOT the Holy Spirit
    3) they submit NOT to Gods law...
    4) they do NOT understand biblical teaching...
    5) they do NOT cease from sinning.

Man is Dead in the things of God
    This is very clear

Pelagius and others had concern as you have...Can a person be responsible if he or she is not free? Does it mean that a person is a robot or programmed by God..if he is denied free will?

You have stated as many before you..”

1) the Bible says that anyone can come
    2) that any that come to Christ will be saved.
    3) and again...jesus said..if we come to him..he will in no wise cast out.

This is ture..as are all the other verses you posted. But that is not the point. certainly any one that wills may come.

But who will come? NO ONE will come...unless God reaches out and shows His Love 1st

SIN..

This is how i understand mans sin nature and sin.

Understanding what sin is very important. Sin is a transgression into God. Sin is a path a wrong way. A way from Gods way. This is why Sin could never have been made by God. If it is made by God it is not a transgression. In the same light, sin is more then just a said sin. In other words, sin is more then just murder..but it is also the path away from God that leads to murder. If you do not see sin in this light you will end up in a works salvation.

What most call the “original sin is not when sin was formed. Nor is it really the 1st sin. The 1st sin was when satan choose to lift himself above God. This made sin and also a “sin principle”. The sin principle is set against God as a system of evil.

The “original sin” as a phase in the doctrine of sin refers to the 1st sin by mankind. This of course is Adam in the garden. What happen when man sinned? Man fall and is dead spiritually. God said, “ this day you will surely die” Adam totally corrupted his human nature in his fall. In turn Adams sin caused his children to receive that same spiritually dead nature. Every one since Adam has received this sin nature. Note this, God did follow though with this and Adam did die that very day.

Gen 8 :21 (evil from his youth)
    And when the LORD smelled the pleasing odor, the LORD
    said in his heart, "I will never again curse the ground
    because of man, for the imagination of man's heart is evil
    from his youth; neither will I ever again destroy every
    living creature as I have done.

Job 14 : 1-4 (unclean)
    "Man that is born of a woman is of few days, and full of
    trouble. He comes forth like a flower, and withers; he flees
    like a shadow, and continues not. And dost thou open thy
    eyes upon such a one and bring him into judgment with
    thee? Who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean?

ps 51 : 5 ( iniquity/ sin)
    Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my
    mother conceive me.

Eccles 9 :3 (evil)
    This is an evil in all that is done under the sun, that one
    fate comes to all; also the hearts of men are full of evil,
    and madness is in their hearts while they live, and after
    that they go to the dead.

Jer. 17 :9 (corrupt)
    The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately
    corrupt; who can understand it?

Romans 1 21-32 (all of this)
    for although they knew God they did not honor him as God
    or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their
    thinking and their senseless minds were darkened. Claiming
    to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of
    the immortal God for images resembling mortal man or
    birds or animals or reptiles. Therefore God gave them up in
    the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of
    their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged
    the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the
    creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed for ever!
    Amen. For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable
    passions. Their women exchanged natural relations for
    passions. Their women exchanged natural relations for
    unnatural, and the men likewise gave up natural relations
    with women and were consumed with passion for one
    another, men committing shameless acts with men and
    receiving in their own persons the due penalty for their
    error. And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God,
    God gave them up to a base mind and to improper
    conduct. They were filled with all manner of wickedness,
    evil, covetousness, malice. Full of envy, murder, strife,
    deceit, malignity, they are gossips, slanderers, haters of
    God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil,
    disobedient to parents, foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless.
    Though they know God's decree that those who do such
    things deserve to die, they not only do them but approve
    those who practice them.

Romans 3 : 9-18
    What then? Are we Jews any better off? No, not at all; for I
    have already charged that all men, both Jews and Greeks,
    are under the power of sin, as it is written: "None is
    righteous, no, not one; no one understands, no one seeks
    for God. All have turned aside, together they have gone
    wrong; no one does good, not even one." "Their throat is
    an open grave, they use their tongues to deceive." "The
    venom of asps is under their lips." "Their mouth is full of
    curses and bitterness." "Their feet are swift to shed blood,
    in their paths are ruin and misery, and the way of peace
    they do not know." "There is no fear of God before their
    eyes

We have showen without debate a strong doctrine based fully on Gods word that mans nature fall into a total sin nature. Total depravity means that corruption extends to every part of mans..or i mean the unsaved mans nature. From total depravity or ...lets call it total inability we set other doctrines with in sin.

Lets look at some more verse to back this statement up.

Sin Nature affects his thinking................................

gen, 6: 5
    The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

romans 8: 5-8
    For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on
    the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the
    Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. To set the
    mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the
    Spirit is life and peace. For the mind that is set on the flesh
    is hostile to God; it does not submit to God's law, indeed it
    cannot; and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

1 cor. 2:14
    The unspiritual man does not receive the gifts of the Spirit
    of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to
    understand them because they are spiritually discerned.

*****Sin Nature affects his emotions and attitudes.......................

John 3 :19-20
    And this is the judgment, that the light has come into the
    world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because
    their deeds were evil. For every one who does evil hates
    the light, and does not come to the light, lest his deeds
    should be exposed.

John 8 : 44
    You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your
    father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning,
    and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no
    truth in him. When he lies, he speaks according to his own
    nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

eph 4 :18
    they are darkened in their understanding, alienated from
    the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them,
    due to their hardness of heart;

****his body.........................

Rom. 8 :10
    But if Christ is in you, although your bodies are dead
    because of sin, your spirits are alive because of
    righteousness.

I Cor. 15:50
    I tell you this, brethren: flesh and blood cannot inherit the
    kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the
    imperishable.

last...Sin Nature binds mans will.

john 5 :40
    yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.

eph 2 :2-3
    in which you once walked, following the course of this
    world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit
    that is now at work in the sons of disobedience. Among
    these we all once lived in the passions of our flesh,
    following the desires of body and mind, and so we were by
    nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind.

It is true that some verses can be used on many points of the study....but it show more is at work then only mans will. Man can not choose God
    because he does not know of God...till God reaches out to
    him.

Aaaaw wait now. John 1 says man is now ENLIGHTEN.

In context it says…man can now be saved..for the light has now come.
    But still…man does not know Him.

But more then that, man does not have the natrue to chose God. Its the same reason as why the lion will not eat hay. The it is not in the nature of the lion to eat hay. He could do it...but he does not want to eat it. Man will not choose God...it is not in his nature. Yes..God reaches out to him...God calls all to be saved...but none come to him..till the holy spirit calls them.

Man is dead spiritually as God said he would be for sinning in the garden. Man can not choose God...nor will he choose God...because he does not want to choose God...and he does not know of God. Not till God reaches out to man.

When we do not understand sin/law and grace/ love in the right light we will end up with a works based salvation.

You see this in your post often..

Mans part…
    Gods part..

The bad part of this salvation plan is MAN. Man will always fell. Man will always sin.

In works salvation Man MUST help in his salvation. Jacobus Arminius takes this path of works. Arminius said…Gods saving power is not all you need..you must also help God by working…help God by chooseing…help God by keeping. Arminius says..God needs help.

We can see where this does not work. What could we ever do to be good in Gods eyes that would help in salvation? Was his blood not the full price of sin or must we do more? If we are saved by works..do we know if david is in heaven? How about paul.?? Maybe these 2 guys sinned and lost their salvation..before dieing

Some want to take both said in this debate. They want to hold to salvation forever and mans freewill. You can not mix the 2…and you will see this if you play each point out to the limit. But I will give it to you Bob. You have study his the subject and know both can not go together. You seem to hold to the full Arminian postion. This takes the Arminian side in every point and this is what you get….WORKS

Election and freewill can not both work. I use to try to mix the two, but failed. If man chooses God, Gods election is not needed. If God chooses based on mans works, then we have works from start to finished. If works can save, then works can make you lost again. This is what you see in your post about deeds. This is why wes always attacks Grace.

I say…For by GRACE you are saved..though faith” Faith comes hearing…no just with our ears..but understanding. If we see really who God is..and our need…how can we resist?

Salvation is by the Lord.

In Christ…James

18. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

KJB, I don't know too many people that argue that we deserve to be saved. I know in my discussions with my friends it is more of " I don't see how that could be true, it is an attack on the character of God." That is the direction I am coming from anyways. Can a God who is love, not love some. Can a just God pick some to heaven and some to hell. Can a holy and righteous God send salvation to the world yet not really offer it to the world. Can God say He loved the world yet only die for part of it. Can He say, come to me, or choose who you will serve, and yet actually not enable all to do so. That would make Him a liar. That would be an attack on the character of God. Do I think any of us deserve to be saved, no that was God's decision, His will, not mine.

Tim

19. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

Jarthur you have made God the complete and total author of sin. He was the one who made Adam disobey Him. He is the one who cause the woman to sin.

You lay out a good case for soveriegnty wich I suspect you would being a calvinist. The problem lies in the fact that calvinist spend most of thier time claiming the soveriegnty of God yet ignore His holyness, righteousness, love, justness and see an unbalance God because they do not focus as much on the other characteristics of God. Its like the charasmatic who do nothing but talk about the love of God to the pt where they do cross the lines of His righteousness and holyness. I see the calvinist doing the same with God's soveriegnty. It cannot go against His other attributes or conflict with them

We were asked in our class if "Does God love the sinner and hate the sin" Biblical? We found verses that says God hates and loves the sinner. So I figured that is where the saying come from. Is it accurate. For some reason the calvinist say not God hates. You can't seperate the sin from the sinner. I thought of my own son and daughter. What if one of them went out on a murdering spree and killed 10 or 12 people. Could I seperate the two. No, but I could love my child while abhoring the deed, sin that they did. Now that may not be right. To be honest I know God is well above our understanding. But it does releive the tension there. Same with God's love and sovereignty. Did God create something that He hates? NO but He hates disobediance.

20. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Tim,

I'm sorry you feel this way. Maybe i was not clear. Let me repost my view on this..

the sin principle/evil was made when satan who was given free choice, choose his will over Gods will. He did not choose evil...for evil was NOT there to choose. A CHOICE was given, he just did not choose God..and that made a evil path or sin principle.

With this choosing we now have 2 ways..

Gods way...or satan.
    Gods will...or “I will”...(i will is Satan's way)

man then was given a choice...
    God made the choice easy.
    God said...do anything you want..just do not eat the apple.

Now Adam..if you pick the apple...you want your way.
    If however you listen to me and do not pick the apple...you want Gods way.

Adam wanted his own will...just like satan...( I will, i will, i will)...and picked the apple

THIS IS SIN.

So, please do not say calvin teaches God made sin.

SIN is taking a path AWAY from God.

Arminianism has a ying yang thing going on. A good and bad force has always been out there..always fighting and pushing each other...and was there at the same time as God. In Arminianism man takes part in this force chooseing Good or Evil. This is very pagan. Was this not the apple in the garden? And what happened? Man fell.

God is the ONLY everlasting. There was no.."before God." When God made man..it was "GOOD"

In Christ...James