1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

For Those Interested In The Languages

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If anyone here is interested in studying the Biblical languages, New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary may have a program for you. The school offers graduate level certificates in Biblical Languages, Hebrew Studies, or Greek Studies. The programs are 100% online and you are not required to enroll as a full student at NOBTS. Of course you, must hold a bachelors degree to enroll in a graduate certificate program.

These programs might be of some interest for those who...

1.Teach at the college level and need 18+ graduate hours in a Biblical language. These programs will provide them with the needed graduate hours in the language of their choice.

2. Earned an MDiv without languages and now realizes that was a mistake. These graduate certificates would allow the student to get 18+ hours in the languages from a respected and R.A. school.

3. Students who need a foreign language to enter a PhD program (verify with the University of choice before enrolling @ NOBTS to verify that Greek/Hebrew will fulfill their foreign language requirements).

For those who do not have a bachelors degree, the school offers several undergraduate certificates that you might be interested in.

Interested? CLICK HERE.

#1 Martin, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2008
  2. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

The six hours of biblical studies would not count toward a language requirement: wouldn't students who already have an MDiv be better off taking just the Beginning and intermediate Greek and Hebrew Grammars?

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==If a student already has Exploring the Old Testament and Exploring the New Testament they might be able to transfer those courses in. If not, it never hurts to review the material. Of course, as you suggest, a person could just take the needed courses online and not earn the certificate.

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I did a minor in NT Greek and Master's concentration in the same. And I'm woefully deficient in Biblical Hebrew.

Maybe one day I'll get it.

5. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I wanted to add, that for less than 400 dollars total, one could get their language requirements through SATS (South African Theological Seminary).

Greek 1 & 2, and Hebrews 1 & 2 (equivalent to 12 hours of language) costs R3500, for all 4 classes: which at the current exchange rate is about 350 bucks...

That is about 29 dollars per credit Hour, for RA {equivalent}classes! Nice!

6. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    HD Question?

HD,

Will the SATS ThM get you into a PhD or ThD program here? or is that an irrelevant question?

Please advise.

"That is all!":laugh:

7. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

THAT is a good question actually. Technically the SATS ThM is only equivalent to 45 hours: but then, people with a Non Biblical Bachelors has to complete an additional 15 hours of bridging coursework.

I cannot answer that question. From my understanding, SATS students should have no problem with Credit transfer: but as far as The PhD/ThD question goes...I do not know.

8. Ehud

Ehud New Member