1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

For Whom Did Christ Die? - C.H. Spurgeon

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Chris Temple, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Aki

Aki Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    has anybody suggested this website? i think most of the arguments that can be said for those against Calvinism is contained in this webpage.

Calvinism Refuted

2. Nelson

Nelson Guest

Now you guys want me to go up against the Momistic tradition? Are you guys nuts?! I'd rather take my chances going up against the Calvinistic tradition.

Unfortunately, as it's been explained to me, ultimately there really is no difference between the Reformed/Calvinsitic view (especially in it's extremes) and this fate Connieman refers to, except that the former is called "God" and the other is called "Fate". Different name, same face.

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

No Nelson, on the basis of my authorship of those words, I know quite well what I intended and it is you who are mistaken. You do not get to define either my words or my intentions.

No it can, and should, lead one to other conclusions. The conclusion you should have gotten was the one communicated in the post, namely, how do you reconcile your view of teh Calvinist's God with the equally problemmatic view of your God. The end result is no different. Your God creates people knowing that they will go to hell. Yet he creates them anyway. If he did not desire them to go to hell, then he would not have created them. He must be a God who creates people that he intends to punish since he intends to punish all sin.

You attack the Calvinists for such a God all the while retaining your own. It is inconsistent and you have yet to answer it.

No it has not been changed. You simply misunderstood.

Your question has been asnwered time and time again. You don't like the answer so you call it a non answer.

I will, and have, answered all of your questions. I have nothing to shy away from. You name the question, I will answer it. But save your smugness for another place. This is not the place for it.

It is a shame that you feel this way. Christ himself did this on a number of occasions. Are you suggesting that he was trying to extricate himself from an embarrassing situation?

As I have said, and you previously ignored, I never intended to answer your question. I have done that numerous times in the past. You simply fail to understand the issues at hand and thus consider answers that you disagree with to be non-answers.

[ May 22, 2002, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: Pastor Larry ]

4. connieman

connieman New Member

Pastor Larry...remember, even "The way of the fool is right in his own eyes." Poor "fool", his situation is truly hopeless, except for the miraculous power of God, who does the impossible, when it pleases Him.

I often think of the Lord's return to Heaven. When He left, there were still many blind, lame, leprous, insane, and sick in Israel. He healed and delivered only certain elected, or selected, ones while He was here. As in the days of the prophets, there were many lepers in Israel, but only Naaman the Syrian was healed.

In the Name of Him whom we love only because He first loved us,

connieman [​IMG] (my sweetest, most appealing evangelistic smile)

5. Nelson

Nelson Guest

1. Larry is not Jesus.

2. Instead of usually, I admit, I should have used the word "sometimes".

3. Larry's posing of his question is, in my opinion, an instance of that "sometimes."

As far as the rest of the post is concerned, nothing of substance was stated. No response necessary.

6. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

In this case, your opinion is wrong. I was not avoiding anything. I was not attempting to answer your oft answered question. I was pointing out an inconsistency in your position that you are so far unwilling to deal with

Apparently you didn't read the whole thing. Most of it was a response to your misunderstanding. However, right in the middle there was some substance which you failed to answer. I will cite it again to save you the trouble of looking back up to find it.

7. Nelson

Nelson Guest

Then no response from me is required.

8. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, this topic has gone into its eighth page, so I think it's probably (past) time to shut it down. I'll give a couple of more hours to finish up and then close it out. I'll probably get back on around 4 p.m. CDST, so until then - happy posting!

9. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Perhaps you failed to read the whole post again. I will repeat it for you.

how do you reconcile your view of teh Calvinist's God with the equally problemmatic view of your God. The end result is no different. Your God creates people knowing that they will go to hell. Yet he creates them anyway. If he did not desire them to go to hell, then he would not have created them. He must be a God who creates people that he intends to punish since he intends to punish all sin.

[ May 23, 2002, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Pastor Larry ]