1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Former SBC missionary accused of embezzling IMB funds now suspected in insurance scam

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.abpnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3673&Itemid=53

Sad news.

#1 Crabtownboy, Dec 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2008
  2. sag38

sag38 Active Member

And that from a "Liberal Baptists Are Us" web site.

3. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am curious about your response? Should they have reported it or not? What is your feeling about this?

4. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I would question the objectivity of reporting this. What was the reason other than to try and make the IMB look bad?

5. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good grief, I can't make the IMB look bad. No I simply posted it because it was and is news about Baptist.

6. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I didn't say you were trying to make the IMB look bad. But, I would question the intent of this particular news service.

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Personally, I have the following resolve:

1. I have friends who are missionaries and pray for their safety. I would hope that a sponsoring organization would not do things to cause undue unsafety upon their workers. I do believe in the protection of God on his people who are in his will, but in the same breath, we don't need to bring about nonsense.

2. One of the points for me would be to get the money back and to use the funds appropriately. It seems to me that is what has been done.

3. I do believe that what goes around comes around. What you reap is what you sow. This man will get his.

8. drfuss

drfuss New Member

drfuss: The IMB has already made itself look bad by secretly imposing criteria on Missionary candidates that exceed the BF&M. Burleson was forced to leave because he exposed these behind the scenes operations. The IMB gets large hunks of our CP monies and should be transparent in its operations.

Had the IMB publically prosecuted the offender, other people probably would not have been hurt. I suspect the offender used his association with the IMB as a reference for his future employment. The IMB negligence is what has made the IMB look bad.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would question the godliness of the SBC leaders who tried to sweep the issue under the rug. Those who have nothing to hide, hide nothing.

#9 gb93433, Dec 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2008