1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Forum Question

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Oldtimer, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Is there any way I can keep the threads from being marked as read before I can get time to read them? I've found the option to mark a forum as being read. Yet, haven't found a way to keep them from being automatically set to read.

This morning I made a long reply in one of the forums. After posting it, all of the threads that I hadn't had time to read were now considered by the forum software as already read. When this happens:

The link to the first new post in a thread disappears.

Have to skim the posted date/time to try to find those I still want to read, as time permits.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks, in advance, for your reply.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure if this would help, but at the top of the BB toolbar, click on Quick Links - than click on Todays posts. That will give you new posts for the past 24 hours

Otherwise, if you want to respond to a post that will take a while, view the others posts, than come back to the one you want to reply.

Yea, I've had the same thing happen to me.

Salty

3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Thanks, Salty.

Evidently it isn't my setting, then, if you're experiencing the same thing.

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a setting that gets marked in the cookie that Baptist Board submits to your computer. Everyone gets the same result.

One way to keep it from happening is to turn cookies off; but that would most likely result in all threads being marked as "unread" every time you visit the site.

If I have the time and inclination, I'll see if I can find and examine the cookie. Until then, or until someone comes up with another explanation or option, Salty's recommendation is probably your best course of action.

5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Thanks, Don, for the explaination. Sure hope you get time to check out the BB cookie operation.

At this point, apparently the New Post option only displays new posts since the last time I visited BB. This morning it showed only 6 new posts. When I had to leave last night, there were 2 forum pages of "new" posts. Some I'd read and others that I didn't get to read. This morning, all of them are marked read by the system.

Again, thanks for your help. Hopefully it's an easy setting change to keep posts marked as unread, until I click on them, or use the forum tool to mark them as being read.

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No luck. The forum sets the cookie with each visit, so you'd have to edit the cookie each time you visited the forum.

I did find that in our User Control Panel, you can choose to view threads you've visited (Subscriptions). But I don't think that's gonna do exactly what you're asking for.

Sorry; gonna take a real programmer to figure this one out.

7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Again, thank you for checking further into this.

I don't know about this forum software but in some others, the admin has options for the physical operation of same. Perhaps there's a "switch" that can be turned on and off with regards to read/unread messages. For example, in the on position there's a timer that automatically marks them as read after x time. If it's in the off position, it allows the end user to control by either reading or marking the forum threads as having been read.

Uhmmm..... went hunting. :)

Found it!

http://www.vbulletinsetup.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_usage#faq_vb3_forums_threads_posts

Hope this helps, a bit.