1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Free Will ? Not in the Bible.

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by rodneyo777, Jun 15, 2015.

1. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, what I previously asked was could Christ have laid with a harlot, stolen, taken God's name in vain, &c.?

You answered correctly that Christ could not lie. But, what about the other sins I mentioned? Could Christ have slept with a harlot if He chose to?

Remember, you and Scarlett both believe Christ had a free will while on earth. This free will also gives man the ability to sin or not. So, could Christ done any of the above?

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I answered quite clearly.

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes you did.

Christ - being God, Himself -would not have chosen to sleep with a prostitute, etc. God is holy. Christ, being God, is holy.

Christ - being fully man AND fully God - had the choice. Just as turning stones into bread was something that would have sustained him, he chose not to because he was on a spiritual quest - seeking the Father's will. He did not sin.

4. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So then Christ didn't have a free will? He could not sin. Then He did not have a free will.

5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

This is what people cannot understand, that one's will is always free TO DO HIS OWN WILL. But comes it to doing that which is contrary his own will, man is TOTALLY UNWILLING. Helpless, but most arrogant despite his being "DEAD IN SIN".

And this is reflected in all spheres of life. One of the best examples is one's own religious opinion or doctrine. When man has so entangled himself in his own opinions that he cannot make a move mentally, is when he shouts and blames and curses at the top of his obstructiveness at HELP.

I know because I am like that myself.

#25 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2015
  6. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

I'll disagree with some others here and say that I believe Jesus could have sinned.

7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If Jesus had a will to sin, He <<could have sinned>>.

But Jesus had a will "TO DO THY WILL O GOD".

Would God have a will to sin?!

God forbid!

8. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

Jesus had a free will, just like every man, angel, and even Lucifer had.

9. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for your honesty.

10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Jesus had a will free to do good and bound never to sin.

The devil has a will free to do evil and sin which is bound not to do good or righteousness.

Now one man, the first man, had a will like Jesus; yet sinned, he did.

If I could explain it, I would have excused man of sin or blame, and sinned myself. Because I have a will like the devil, nevertheless grace changed everything and now I would I was like Christ

#30 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2015
  11. MicahJF612

MicahJF612 Member

I don't see anything controversial in stating that Jesus could sin. If He was fully human, it would mean that He too shared a disposition to sin-- yet, because He submitted His free will wholly unto God, He chose never to sin of His own volition.

Let's think about free will based purely off of a logical perspective for a second.

Remember that our God is a God of love and justice. Think of Micah 6:8, John 3:16, and 1 John 4.

Next, consider the hell that I am sure most of you believe in. I happen to think it is a misconstrued and badly evolved doctrine, but I will assume it is true for the purposes of this discussion.

Then, the Bible repeatedly states that "The Lord... is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance" (2 Peter 3:9). This is asserted time and time again, and I am sure you can read your own Bibles to know this.

Consider these facts together, in a less organized philosophical syllogism.
    We serve a God of love.
    He is not willing that any should spend eternity in damnation.
    But, given that there is no free will, He controls whether or not a person sins.
    So, God sends some to an eternity in damnation arbitrarily.
    But, God cannot will that no one spend an eternity in damnation and also that some spent an eternity in damnation, for He would be in a state of contradiction.
    But God cannot be in a state of contradiction.
    So, the assertion that God controls whether or not a person sins cannot be true.

And at this point, the anti-Free Will party will argue, "It is for God's glory," and "His ways are beyond our ways." But surely, God gave us an intellect for a reason. It is not the Jewish tradition that Jesus knew nor the Baptist tradition we should follow to simply stop questioning God. Our quest is to become more like God, and I believe that in it, we will know more of Him. The greatest example of God ever was also the most kind and loving person ever to walk the earth--so how is it that God could then arbitrarily have a system of judgement that flies in the face of our Scriptures?

Either God is in contradiction, or you have some bad theology, my anti-Free Will friends.