1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured free will vs. election???????

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by awaken, May 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

There is a reason why the 300 didn't bother to except the bonus. They either didn't take the bonus because of pride or they felt like they didn't need the money. There is a reason why the majority won't accept Christ. They are of a mind they don't need him because in reality they don't see themselves as sinners. The only way the 300 will ever accept the bonus is to see their need of the bonus.

2. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

oh boy is right-:godisgood::godisgood:

3. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

So what then is eternal life so we can cut to the chase and get closer to the 'roster number' for say NFL 2013?

4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

aion ahee-ohn' from the same as 104; properly, an age; by extension, perpetuity (also past); by implication, the world; specially (Jewish) a Messianic period (present or future):--age, course, eternal, (for) ever(-more), (n-)ever, (beginning of the , while the) world (began, without end).

`owlam o-lawm' or lolam {o-lawm'}; from 5956; properly, concealed, i.e. the vanishing point; generally, time out of mind (past or future), i.e. (practically) eternity; frequentatively, adverbial (especially with prepositional prefix) always:--alway(-s), ancient (time), any more, continuance, eternal, (for, (n-))ever(-lasting, -more, of old), lasting, long (time), (of) old (time), perpetual, at any time, (beginning of the) world (+ without end).

The punishment of the wicked is the same as the joy of the saints will be, and that's eternal in existence.

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I knew you would flesh this out. There's an old saying, "if you give someone a long enough rope, they'll hang themselves every time". He's tied the noose and put it around his neck w/o even knowing it.

6. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

instead of asking that question try studying the scriptures I gave and see what the true translation of the scriptures ought to have been and it will come all together for you friend and God will enlighten you if you honestly seek for the true answer-

Youll not get your answer overnight my friend--I didn't get it overnight either

Gonna take honest study and seeking for the truth--too much tradition has blinded all of our minds and we cant see any more truth because of it

may God enlighten you and anyone who honestly seeks for his truth:love2:

7. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does not God use the irrational to confound the wise? Perhaps a cautious theologian would place more belief in what they consider irrational merely because God said it. Human understanding is not to be compared to God's and God doesn't have to answer, "Why."

This is good preaching, Van. However, it is not OUR faith, but our belief that counts. Paul stated, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved." Faith and belief are not synonymous - though some take them to be. Faith is of God. Man has human faith that is faulty and frail, however the faith in which God instills and the believer cries out in belief does not fail. God cannot credit humankind faith but as sinful and unworthy. Salvation is totally of God.

This is true. However, because man is incapable and had no innate ability to self reconcile with God in their fallen nature, then it follows that even the belief expressed is in response to the faith given by God. "For without faith it is impossible to please Him" FOLLOWS belief according to Hebrews 11.

2 Thessalonians 2:13 (which we discussed for many posts) states:

"But we should always give thanks to God for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God has chosen you from the beginning for salvation through (in) sanctification by the Spirit and faith in the truth."

So what must be present at salvation according to this verse?

1) God has to chose the person FROM THE BEGINNING. - this is not corporate, but individuals that are chosen.
    2) Sanctification (not a movement but a declaration) by the Spirit.
    3) There must be faith in the truth.​

NOTE: see the work of the Spirit BEFORE faith in the truth? It is that work in the humankind that enables them to hear the truth and express what is already in their heart as to salvation.

See Romans:
    "But the righteousness based on faith speaks as follows: “DO NOT SAY IN YOUR HEART, ‘WHO WILL ASCEND INTO HEAVEN?’ (that is, to bring Christ down), or ‘WHO WILL DESCEND INTO THE ABYSS?’ (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead).” But what does it say? “THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. For the Scripture says, “WHOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.” For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call on Him; for “WHOEVER WILL CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED.” ​

What is in the heart will come out the mouth. James makes that clear when discussing water.

Faith from God implanted into the humankind expresses true repentance unto salvation. Such is the faith of the great Hebrews 11 folks. It is that faith that not only broke down Jericho walls, but Christ said would move mountains.

No humankind faith is able to do what God's faith can easily accomplish.

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Deflection is never the answer. What exactly is eternal life?

9. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

your comment here has just showed you haven't even looked at the scriptures I posted--you don't want to understand--you just want to bash--the scriptures are plainly speaking of age lasting and NOT eternal--try reading and you will see friend :godisgood::godisgood:

10. preacher4truth

Well, 'someone' hasn't made the team. My fault for jumping in w/o context and reading something into it all. Yet such a move makes choosing a final roster much simpler.

Eternal life = everlasting life. Like for ever.

Who was that 'Joey' preacher that espoused the heresy of ME? I listened to a partial 'sermon' of his against 'sugar' in that the Holy Spirit need be our only 'stimulant'. Talk about not being able to discern between physical and spiritual 'stimulation'. Poor John the Baptist out there eating honey!!!! If only 'Joey' could've been there to give him 'Sweet-n-Low' the whole world could now have been saved!!!!

- Blessings

#110 preacher4truth, May 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2013
  11. preacher4truth

And you do err greatly. Gladly Jesus said those who say they see actually do not.

12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

So, how is eternal life "eternal", and yet, eternal death isn't eternal"?

13. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

How do I err brother--pls explain ?

14. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

here again your tradition is blinding your eyes to see--May God give you a ear to hear :love2::love2::love2:

15. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Wee, HW, the Greek word used for "everlasting" is the same used for "everlasting life" and "everlasting gospel". So I guess the "everlasting gospel" is but for a short time, too? It's G166 in the Strong's

16. preacher4truth

You said you see, Jesus says the contrary to those who claim such.

17. preacher4truth

Yes, the Gospel faded off like in 1088 A.D. I believe it was like in November or sumpin. Can't remember the exact month 'cause I was so young then. Since then all new doctrines have become allowable! :rolleyes:

18. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

by your own words you condemn yourself brother--you say that you see also according to your view--so whats the difference--I say that I see what God has shown me--im not saying I have arrived like the religious leaders of Christ's day was doing when he quoted them that verse. :godisgood:

19. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Also, the same Greek word used for "eternal" is used for "eternal life" and "eternal damnation"? How is punishment not eternal, yet joys in heaven shall be eternal, when the same Greek word is used?

20. preacher4truth

Not so. By the Word of Christ He condemns your words.

#120 preacher4truth, May 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.