1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Free Will

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by firedome, Jul 7, 2001.

1. firedome

firedome New Member

Did we lose our free will at the fall of man?

2. Ars

Ars New Member

I'm not totally sure what you mean, but based on your simple question, I'd have to give the simple answer of no.

3. firedome

firedome New Member

To be more in depth, did we lose our free will when man ate of the tree of knowledge of good and evil? I was wondering about this while reading in John chapter 8 when Jesus said, "ye do the will of your father..."

[ July 07, 2001: Message edited by: firedome ]

4. Ars

Ars New Member

We did not lose our free will. That is evidenced by the fact that there are still people who choose to not follow Christ. (Simplistic, I know, but just one example.)

Although there is debate as to predestination and free will, I would rather not get into that debate. However, I have found an excellent article regarding these two subjects written by Rev. Richard Fuller, D. D.(1892) in which he writes:

"If we attempt to explain and reconcile the doctrines of predestination and free agency, we find impassable barriers hemming us in, and sharp adamant striking us back. But the proofs of these doctrines are irrefragable. Their harmony we must leave with God; it is an ultimate fact transcending our thoughts; but clear to that Intellect which is the supreme fountain of all light and love. "

Dave

5. Mikayehu

Mikayehu New Member

I guess it kind of depends what you mean by "free will." Man has always been able to choose whatever he wanted to. The difference is that ever since the fall, man's nature has determined that his choice would be against God. So Romans 1:10-12 says "There is none righteous, no, not one: There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one." Every single man will by his own will reject God. Only God's grace can change that, "for it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure." So, to answer your question. Since the fall, man does have a free will in the sense that he can choose whatever he wants to choose. But, he does not have a free will in the sense that his heart is "desperately wicked" and will not seek after God. Man's will in this sense is bound by his nature. Only divine grace can cause a man to seek after God.

6. DocCas

DocCas New Member

Greetings Mikayehu! Glad to see you made it over to the Baptist Board. Welcome. This is the board where the only requirement is that the poster be sane (except for the FFF forum!). :D

I look forward to your participation on the Bible versions/translation forum. [​IMG]

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

I think the fact that we as christians do still sin answers that, we are no longer slaves to sin, we choose it. Thankfully the Holy Spirit leads us back to God.

8. Bob Landis

Bob Landis New Member

No we did not lose our freewill. God has given it to every being to chose. You can follow Jesus or Satan. You can do good or evil. You can except the free gift of salvation or reject it. You can live a life that is pleasing to the Lord, or you can lead a life of perversion. It's your freewill choice. Which will you chose?

9. spudgin

spudgin New Member

Free Will--A Slave By C. H. Spurgeon null

10. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by firedome:
    Did we lose our free will at the fall of man?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did we (Adam) ever have it to lose? Adam had free choice; did he have free will?

Adam had two choices: do not eat of the fruit and live, or eat of the fruit and die. He could not choose to eat of the fruit and live. THAT would be free will.

Free will belongs to God alone. Man has free agency; the ability to make moral choices within God's sovereign boundaries.

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its as if fallen humanity is in a giant 747 - destination - the Lake of Fire.

They are free to move about the plane, etc... but they cannot get off or change their destination.

HankD

12. firedome

firedome New Member

I thank you all for your replies. I will take all responses into account of my study.

In Christ,
    Rodney (Lk.14:10-11)