1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Friday on Capitol Hill

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Baptist in Richmond, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Did everyone hear about this?

Here is another article.

So, the leadership held the vote open longer and just barely passed the bill. That sounds a lot like what happened during the CAFTA vote, doesn't it?

Does this bother any of you?

Regards,
    BiR

2. rivers1222

rivers1222 Member

Here is another article.

So, the leadership held the vote open longer and just barely passed the bill. That sounds a lot like what happened during the CAFTA vote, doesn't it?

Does this bother any of you?

Regards,
    BiR
    </font>[/QUOTE]What really bothers me BIR is a party that worked so hard to take control, and that now has control, is slowly losing thier marbles. Why put up such a fight, so much political capitol, with an indicted former leader, when the measure hasnt got a shot at passing the Senate in its present form. There will be changes in commitee, but why submit these reps to the abuse they will have to endure in 2006 elections :( when it isnt necessary?

3. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Yes, it bothers me, but this is what I have learned to expect from the republicans.

And to think, they ran on the slogan, "restore integrity to the government," what a joke! :rolleyes:

4. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it is standard business. I am sure that the Democrats did the same thing in the past if we just knew our history and someone dug it out. I know that it happens all the time at the state level here in Indiana.

We don't live in a dream world--we live in a real world. The Democrats want to make a big deal out of nothing just because they lost another vote.

5. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By the way, this shows how it would have been impossible to have gotten one of Pat Buchanan's picks on the court. In the Senate, we have the gang of 14 who have refused to allow cloture. They would have blocked whatever Bush tried to do. We now know for certain that McCain, one of the 14, is running for President in 2008. I guess that he is going to say that he thwarted Bush at every chance.

If the Democrats are going to make a fuss over stopping the clock, imagine what it would be like over a supreme court judge. And if the GOP has to stop the clock to get the President's agenda passed, imagine how worthless Evangelical support is in Washington DC.

6. Baptist in Richmond

MY POINT EXACTLY!!!
    Did you listen to Rush Limbaugh back before the election of 1994? I did. He used to blast the Democrats for what was essentially tyranny. Where is his outrage now?

Since you theorized that the Democrats may have done this too (you wisely said you thought they may have, and I am not sure either), does that somehow justify this behavior? That is an honest question, CMG, not a flame.

Have you read the legislation? I haven't, but I printed it to read on my flight tomorrow. More to follow.

Have a great Thursday in Indiana, CMG,
    BiR

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't approve of the GOP's method used in this but I do approve of making it easier to increase sorely needed crude oil refining capacity in this nation.

8. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know but I think that this is a very minor parliamentary procedure and is nothing out of the ordinary. I know that both parties have stopped the clock in the Indiana House especially at the end of the session when the work is not done but it would cost a small fortune to call a special session. It is a practical way to solve problems. I doubt that there is even a rule that says that the Speaker cannot stop the clock as the majority is in charge of the clock by the rules in my opinion.

It would have been crippling not to expand refinery capacity after a 30 year delay.

Frankly, the baby boomers better step aside with their egotism because I am in favor of using nuclear power to make electricity in order to save this economy. Why even the French use atomic power for electricity and they don't even believe in deoderant.

9. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Sure, but who says the refined oil & gas will be sold in this nation. It goes to the highest bidder; there were no sanctions against that in this bill.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think that is an issue even currently.

If we eventually end up with excess refining capacity in the U.S. in a few years and there is enough demand in other countries to make it profitable then there might be some exporting of petroleum products.

I think we are heading for a recession and the demand for energy will stop its rapid growth both in the U.S. and abroad during the next 2-3 years.

11. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

YOu want a bill that limits exports?

12. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

"The Democratic leadership wanted to embarrass Republicans politically instead of helping the energy needs of the Gulf Coast," said Ron Bonjean, a spokesman for House Speaker J. Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.).

I think that says a lot.

13. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Petroleum & petroleum products are currently being exported to other countries although not nearly as much as are imported.

Source: Energy Information Admin. Annual Energy Review 2004 (link - huge pdf, graphic intensive)

Why do you think it will slow in China, Korea & Japan?

Only what is produced with government subsidies.

14. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We could free up a lot of engergy by switching to atomic power for electricity. However, the red necks don't want anything high tech around.

15. Baptist in Richmond

I don't think that is true, but I cannot find any information. I find it hard to believe that a House so steeped in tradition would deviate from protocol.

Still reading the legislation. BTW, if anyone is travelling to Newark, I would STRONGLY encourage you to change your plans if it is still raining. I had two flights cancelled and didn't get into Newark until after 11. Then came the drive to Asbury Park.

[​IMG]

Regards,
    BiR

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think that will be a problem since the U.S. is biggest market for gasoline in the world. There are probably economic reasons for some small amount of exports of products, mainly to Canada and Mexico.

17. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think that is true, but I cannot find any information. I find it hard to believe that a House so steeped in tradition would deviate from protocol.

Still reading the legislation. BTW, if anyone is travelling to Newark, I would STRONGLY encourage you to change your plans if it is still raining. I had two flights cancelled and didn't get into Newark until after 11. Then came the drive to Asbury Park.

[​IMG]

Regards,
    BiR
    </font>[/QUOTE]BiR, you never stay home and you are always jovial. I guess we are good friends!

I am thinking that the power to control the clock belongs to the majority because, as you know, Indianapolis is the state capital so we get a lot of news about the state legislature. We have a 2-party government in Indiana and just finished 16 years of Democrat governors. I can tell you that the Speaker of the House in the Indiana State Legislature does control the clock and often stops it.

Such power is given to these people in order to save money so that they will not call for a special session year after year in order to pad their paychecks but will be forced to conclude their business and go home.

BiR, think Sam Rayburn and iron fist with no velvet glove and you will see that the Democrats did or could have done the same thing.

18. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On a call of the House, or a vote, conducted by electronic device,
    Members are permitted a minimum of 15 minutes to respond , but it is
    within the discretion of the Chair, following the expiration of 15
    minutes, to allow additional time for Members to record their presence,
    or vote, before announcing the result

19. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Carpro, thanks!

20. Baptist in Richmond

[​IMG]
    Of course we are!!
    Just because we don't agree politically does not change the fact that we are brothers. I very much enjoy chatting with you.

Good point.

Another good point.

I am sure you are right, and I certainly didn't mean to imply that the Democrats haven't done this too. I was trying to find out if they had, by the way.

Unfortunately for me, I managed to leave behind my copy of the legislation in my hotel room in Asbury Park. I ended up driving to Philadelphia and flying out of Philly on Saturday morning.

You are also right in that I am always on the road. I am in Richmond for about two weeks, then it's off to my hometown of Tampa, FL (personal), and then out to Utah for a few days (business). I also have not one but TWO trips to Los Angeles before Christmas.....and another one back to Asbury Park. Gotta keep that Gold member status on the airlines!!!!

God's Best to you, CMG,
    BiR