1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

From Apostacy to paganism - CNN article

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by ReformedBaptist, Apr 2, 2009.

1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

BB:

Biblical truth is not philosophy. I saw that he was a philosopher and seeks to appease academia. Many evangelicals have been led into error like this seeking to please men (sound and be respectable).

Ohhh...ok. He isn't expounding Scripture, isn't even talking about biblical doctrine...but no worries, he has a "high view of Scripture" and believes we should memorize it.

Does this man even believe the Scripture is the very Word of God, infallible and God-breathed? It would not surprise me one bit if he doesn't.

You are following a wolf.

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's right. He makes his living as a philosopher and teaches the discipline at USC. He is also used to speaking to those philosophically trained, so he uses certain forms in communication that may not be familiar to everyone.

"Appease academia?" What in the word does that mean? The word philosophy literally means "love of wisdom."

He is a Christian who is also a philosopher.

You're really assuming evil motives when there is no reason to do so. He doesn't get much acclaim in philosophy circles because of his stand as a Christian. What he is doing is ministry to students. He is training students from all types of environments (many of them non-Christian) to think about truth in a serious, systematic way. As a Christian, he has the opportunity to point students to the One Who is truth.

Not in the part of the article RevMitchell selected. But all of his books and most of his articles do expound on scripture in depth. If you take a moment to examine his writing beyond items RevMitchell carefully selects, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Yes, in that particular article, he's not directly dealing with biblical doctrine. But plenty of people around here discuss things not directly related to biblical doctrine, but there seems to be no condemnation of them.

Sarcasm aside, yes.

Yep. But don't take my word, or especially RevMitchell's word, check it out for yourself.

If I believed what RevMitchell said without checking if for myself, I would feel the same way.

Nope. I'm following Jesus.

Willard is simply a fellow traveler who has some very good insights.

3. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Since you derailed my thread, I am going to start a new one. Your posts here, frankly, are deceitful. This heretic is a co-hort of Foster, a compromiser with Antichrist (Roman Catholicism), and a promoter of pagan mysticism.

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not intend to do that. I apologize.

I'm sorry, but there is no deceit in my heart regarding this matter. I am trying to simply tell the truth as clearly as I understand it.

I completely disagree with your assessment, except that Willard is friends with Foster.