1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fuller Theological Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Stephen Mills, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Stephen Mills

Stephen Mills New Member

Does anybody have any opinions on Fuller? Anbody here a graduate?

2. UZThD

UZThD New Member

At Western Conservative Baptist Seminary in Portland Oregon, where I finished the MDiv/ThM work, the prof of Systematic Theology, Gerry Breshears, has his PhD from Fuller. It seems not to have detracted from Gerry's conservatism or scholarliness. However, there was in some Fuller leadership sometime back , as I recall, serious concerns expressed over the inerrancy of the autographa of Scripture.

3. NateT

NateT Member

My pastor and head of the NT department here at Southern did his PhD work at Fuller. However, from what he's said, I don't think he'd recommend it.

4. Anleifr

Anleifr New Member

Fuller is currently my first choice for doctoral program. I am hoping (praying) to get in next year. It is a conservative, evangelical, scholarly seminary. In the 80s and 90s they were very well known for their research into church growth. Many of the big church planters of the 90s were heavily influenced by Fuller's research.

Fuller has some excellent NT and OT scholars, particularly NT. Hansen, Thompson, Mouw, Beaton, Erickson, Hagner. Also, a very diverse faculty in terms of race, gender, and Christian tradition. Though, in terms of the latter, I believe the largest denomination represented is Presbyterian.

My thesis advisor went to Fuller for his undergrad and recommends it. He is conservative (more so than myself) and was hired on at SWBTS by Dr. Patterson. In fact, many Southern Baptist professors, still working at SBC schools, earned degrees at Fuller. Many at Southern did.

I would suggest going to their website and looking at their professors.

http://www.fuller.edu/provost/faculty/dbsearch/display_records.asp