1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fun Quotes from the Venerable Dead.

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by GeneMBridges, Jan 31, 2005.

1. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

Recently, I've started keeping an eye out for "jewels" of funny wisdom (some more than others) from men who have served the faith in decades, even centuries past. Here are three I particularly like (and have used within the recent past). Please feel free to comment and add some more for my collection. :D

"When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." (Erasmus)

"The venerable dead are waiting in my library to entertain me and relieve me from the nonsense of surviving mortals." (Samuel Davies).

"We never know what we shall hear next, and perhaps it is a mercy that these absurdities are revealed one at a time, in order that we may be able to endure their stupidity without dying of amazement." (Spurgeon).

2. R. Charles Blair

R. Charles Blair New Member

Good stuff! The "old boys" (and girls, of course) had a genuine sense of humor, not our modern frippery. This isn't out of a book, but it happened; a JW visited one of our Baptist pastors here in western KY, and was politely told "Thanks, but no thanks." The JW then asked, "May I leave some tracts?" And the pastor replied, "So long as they point away from the house." (Yes, he knew what he was saying.)

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The venerable dead..." Jerry Garcia?

HankD

4. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

That's what I thought.

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us. - Jerry Garcia

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired." - Robert Frost

6. Christian_1

Christian_1 New Member

HAHAHAAH!!!!!!! Good one! [​IMG] )
    Your post reminded me of some German neighbors we had years ago. We were great friends, and always warned each other whenever the JW's were on the prowl... one morning, we got a call from a laughing Heinz (that was his name, Heinz) -- saying "Hah!! I fooled them, and let on I couldn't speak English!"
    Needless to say, we had been warned they were afoot, and did not answer our door when they came to it....
    Next day, Heinz called my Dad back and said, "It's riditchulous!(That was how he pronounced 'ridiculous') -- I said yesterday I couldn't speak English- this morning they came back, with an INTERPRETER!"
    C1 [​IMG]