1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gail Riplinger

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by LarryN, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Originally posted by HomeBound:
    Sure, anyone that accepts the modern versions of the Bible to be God's infallible, inerrant, inspired...wait, they don't even believe that about their own bible, so anyone that using anything else except the King James Bible.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Didn't your momma ever teach you to know what a label means before applying it to someone?

The real fundamentalists of 100 years ago started the fight against modernism... and they knew what it was. You apparently don't. It would serve you well to educate yourself on what the philosophy of modernism is before you embarass yourself further.

The fact is that what you believe conforms as much, if not more, to philosophical modernism than what we believe. You, like your modernist kin, demand that something must be absolutely measurable in order to be true. The proper view of the Bible allows that God's Word is greater than the human words that communicate it. It is at least as much spiritual as it is physical.

The real modernists demand that everything be defined materially... just like you. God's Word existed before the physical realm and defies a purely finite/naturalistic definition like the one you want to foist on it.

2. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Who loves the money? I previously quoted, "These corrupted bible versions are peddled at many Christian Bookstores for one reason: profit. A Lutheran scholar was right because he said in order to survive business to RUN!!!" According to a Lutheran scholar ( not Baptist ) he proved the facts about christian bookstores concerning an important word, " profit ." Rich? On other hand, modern versions translators and committees, who produced many different bible versions, made $$$ because modern versions are COPYRIGHTED .

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Askjo - You can't be serious? You have defended the KJV (whichever revision) on threads, but this is beneath you, friend!

The KJV is copyrighted. We in America just defy international copyright and don't pay it!

The printers of the KJV make a profit on printing and marketing their bible just like those of the NIV, NASB et al.

Any argument made about $$ applies equally to the KJV (whichever revision) AND the modern versions. You know that. Don't spout off false information that is beneath your normal arguments!

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Who loves the money? I previously quoted, "These corrupted bible versions are peddled at many Christian Bookstores for one reason: profit. A Lutheran scholar was right because he said in order to survive business to RUN!!!" According to a Lutheran scholar ( not Baptist ) he proved the facts about christian bookstores concerning an important word, " profit ." Rich? On other hand, modern versions translators and committees, who produced many different bible versions, made $$$ because modern versions are COPYRIGHTED . [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]First, notice how you did not apologize for mishandlign the precious word of God in your attempt to support a position.

Second, notice how you said nothing worthwhile. The fact that Bible publishers make a profit is not an issue. Every store exists to make a profit. Notice how they do not give the KJVs away. In fact, the only free Bible I have is ... gasp ... a NLT. THe most expensive Bible I have is a Cambridge wide margin KJV. The combined price of the assortment of modern versions that I have in my office is less than that one KJV. Yes you read that right ... the publishers of that one KJV made more profit off a single KJV than the publishers of my NASB, NIV (2 of them), NKJV, and NLT all put together.

Now let's hear you stand up and soundly condemn the money grubbing publishers of the KJV ... Go ahead ... start right now ...

5. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Wow! Three Bibles(books as you call them) on your computer desk! One or two questions here. Do you believe the Apocrypha to be scripture? Do you believe the sidenotes to be scripture? Have you read those "books" on your desk or are they just paperweights? BTW, I don't consider the Apocrypha to be God's word and I don't think the translators did either. The sidenotes in my King James Bible are not scripture, it's just a tool to help study. Also, before you ask, I use the 1769 King James Bible, which doctrinely and scripturely is no different than the 1611.

6. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

I don't really know about this copyright stuff, but it sure is funny that the King James Bible is cheaper and free sometimes. If anyone uses Bible software on their PC, most likely it came with the King James Bible and you had to buy the other versions. If the King James Bible is copyrighted, why are we not paying royalities to the owner of the copyright? Would this not be the right thing to do?

7. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Askjo stated:
    Along with the KJV, my bible program gives me the following english translations for free as well:

American Standard Version
    Analytical-Literal Translation of the New Testament
    Bible in Basic English
    Contemporary English Version
    Darby Bible
    Douay-Rheims Bible (w/ Deuterocanon)
    English Majority Text Version
    Geneva Bible
    Good News Translation
    GOD'S WORD
    Hebrew Names Version
    International Standard Version (includes maps)
    King James Version
    King James Version (w/ Strong's Numbers)
    King James Version (w/ Apocrypha)
    Literal Translation of the Holy Bible
    Modern King James Version
    THE MESSAGE: The Bible in Contemporary Language
    The World English Bible
    Webster Bible
    Weymouth New Testament
    Young's Literal Translation

8. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

I wonder if that KJB that you have has more than scripture with it, such as maps, notes, study guides, concordance, "wide margin" and all the other special things it has. If it does, no wonder it cost more than the NASV, NIV, NKJV, NLT. BTW, go to the local Dollar store and get a paperback KJB and a whatever version that has no special features and see which one costs the most. Also, today if a book sells alot and is worth alot, the value goes up, well the King James Bible is the best selling book as of today and I can still buy one today for a buck, that's right, 1 dollar, uno pesos.(I am that's right for Mr. Ed's sake)

9. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Along with the KJV, my bible program gives me the following english translations for free as well:

American Standard Version
    Analytical-Literal Translation of the New Testament
    Bible in Basic English
    Contemporary English Version
    Darby Bible
    Douay-Rheims Bible (w/ Deuterocanon)
    English Majority Text Version
    Geneva Bible
    Good News Translation
    GOD'S WORD
    Hebrew Names Version
    International Standard Version (includes maps)
    King James Version
    King James Version (w/ Strong's Numbers)
    King James Version (w/ Apocrypha)
    Literal Translation of the Holy Bible
    Modern King James Version
    THE MESSAGE: The Bible in Contemporary Language
    The World English Bible
    Webster Bible
    Weymouth New Testament
    Young's Literal Translation
    </font>[/QUOTE]Really!? Did you buy it? I was actually talking about the downloads from the net. If you did download it, can you supply the link?

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

First, you are still confused. There is no such thing as a KJV or a NASV. There is a KJV and a NASB. Get your letters right.

Second, the Cambridge wide margins are particularly noted for their lack of notes. There is a center line cross reference column and a small concordance and map in the back, just as virtually every Bible has. I have more notes in any of the other versions by themselves.

Usually at a dollar store they all cost the same, regardless of version. But this is yet another interesting point. Dollar stores usually sell closeouts and items that aren't worth any more than a dollar. HMMMM ... (Remember, you brought it up, not me).

Actually you are wrong in your economic theory. Price goes down as supply goes up or as demand goes down. As demand goes up, price goes up, all other things being equal. But production costs are an importan part of the equation as well. Simply put, your very oversimplified economic theory is useless in this discussion. Versions of the Bible have very little to do with economics. Let's face it .. you are reaching after a straw man because you have no actual arguments.

11. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    e-Sword

12. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Homebound said:

I don't really know about this copyright stuff

Do you know about this Gail Riplinger stuff?

It was you who challenged us several times to prove there were problems with Gail the Ripper's books. Well, you now have plenty of evidence to work with.

Since we have met your challenge, why don't you discuss Gail the Ripper instead of changing the subject to a non-issue like copyright? Are you scared?

13. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

e-Sword </font>[/QUOTE]Thank you mesly. I forgot about that "one."

14. aefting

aefting New Member

This is all we're saying about conservative modern versions. 1769 KJV, NKJV, NASB, ESV, NIV -- these are all doctrinally and scripturally no different than the 1611.

15. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

They are right, there's the King James [/b]Bible[/b](KJB) and the New American StandardVersion (NASV).
    Usually at a dollar store they all cost the same, regardless of version. But this is yet another interesting point. Dollar stores usually sell closeouts and items that aren't worth any more than a dollar. HMMMM ... (Remember, you brought it up, not me).[/quote][/qb]Sorry, I forgot about location difference. My Dollar store has different things from $1 on up. Maybe I was thinking about "Dollar Tree," where everything is a dollar.
    BTW, I believe that something that has lasted over 400+ years would have more dollar value today since it's the best selling book today, but God saw that the majority would be poor and therefore we can buy the Bible for 1 dollar.

16. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Only what BrianT posted in the first post. So far I agree with her.(so far). But, maybe you have one thing that I can look at particularly.
    Yes, and I thank you very much.
    Sorry, but I didn't change the subject, I just went with the flow. No, I'm not scared, are you?

17. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Ransom is right, back to the original subject. I don't know Gail Riplinger enough to slander her name. So I will step to the side and look at some of the sites that you all have posted.

18. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

"Much digging in libraries and manuscripts from around the world has uncovered an alliance between the new versions of the Bible (NIV, NASB, Living Bible and others) and the chief conspirators of the New Age movement's push for a One World Religion." Page 1

I believe some do push for a One World Religion, especially TBN.

19. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

"Each discovery was not the result of effort on my part, but of the direct hand of God -- so much so that I hesitated to even put my name on the book. Consequently, I used G. A. Riplinger, which signifies to me, God and Riplinger -- God as author and Riplinger as secretary . . . . "

As I said before, I believe she is praising God for the thoughts he gave her to write this book.

20. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Riplinger argues that all new translations and versions corrupt the preserved translation of the King James Version, which she says is based on the "true" Majority text, which she equates with the Textus Receptus. She goes further than most KJV Only proponents in delineating specifically what she means by the new versions being "satanically inspired" by attributing the new versions to a satanically controlled, century-old conspiracy to transform the Word of God to make it compatible to New Age theology, which she believes is the end-time, one-world religion of the anti-Christ.

I would tend to agree. I believe I myself have said that the new versions being controlled by the spirit of the anti-Christ.