1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gator adware

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Jan 16, 2004.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Is there ANY way to get rind of the files they load. Every week when I run my virus scan (McAfee) I have two "possibly unwanted" Gator files that will not let me delete or quarantine.

2. Dina

Dina New Member

Ours did the same thing. It was frustrating my dh too, so he got RoboForm. I am no fan of change when it comes to new software, but this was a smoooooooth transition.

http://www.roboform.com/

3. John Owen

John Owen New Member

not sure if you have taken care of this or not Christ4kildare, but installing and running 2 freeware programs may help, they are Adaware and Spybot... just google them and you will find their respective dnlaod sites...

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The easiest way to get rid of the Gator stuff is to uninstall Gator.

5. liafailrock

liafailrock Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I want to also add a thought here--- don't just depend on the uninstall capability. I'd search the web for experts versed in TOTAL removal of such software. Sometimes it involves changing the registry or removing certain files that the uninstall will not do. You want to try something interesting? I'll bet any money that some of you have ezula related junk on your computers. An uninstall of this spyware and junk "removes" it, but it gets reinstalled without your permission because it has an auto installer program (if you have the TopText installed) and it just keeps going around and around. Here's a link to check if you have it:

http://www.whirlywiryweb.com/removeezula.htm

6. David Mark

David Mark New Member

I remember going round-and-round with Gator. I'd uninstall it and it would reinstall itself. I found a chunck of it that had remained on my computer and continually checked to see if it had been uninstalled. If so, it would silently reinstall itself. Very spooky to me.

Adaware is a good program. I have used it frequently. I learned one of the things that it does and to make things quicker, I made a shortcut to my Temporary Internet Files folder on my desktop. I open that and manually delete any cookies from sites that I don't like. I still need to run it every now and then so it will find the registry entries for spy-ware.

I recommend Adaware.

Dave.

7. KimS

KimS New Member

Adaware is free and will get rid of it for you.

Kim