1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Generational curses

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know. The "curse of the Bambino" only lasted 82 years and then the Boston Red Sox finally won another World Series. Is 82 years the "third and fourth generations?" :smilewinkgrin:

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

It is true that a Christian can be struggling to overcome a sin, but the operative word here is "struggling." That means they are actively battling it, not wallowing in it. They are trying to get loose from it and the sin is not a practice in their life.
    1John 3:9

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Joey listen to this short message;
    http://www.gerald285.com/web_media/BirthmarksofaBeliever.32.mp3

3. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do You Fear You May Be Under a....

....Generational curse, yourself, FAL! It sounds to me like you are searching for ways to recognize such a curse, and how to break it. So let me ask you, are you thinking you may be under such a curse? :flower:

4. drfuss

drfuss New Member

The verses above were a part of God's covenant with Israel which the Elders of Isreal agreed to. Note that Jerusalem was said to be destroyed because of the sins of Manasseh (II Kings 24:3,4). Manasseh died about 70 years before Jerusalem was destroyed which would be about the third or fourth ganeration as indicated in the law.

Do I think there is a generational effect? Somewhat, but not as it was under the covenant God had with Israel.

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Well, believe it or not, I just heard a sermon by Tony Evans on generational curses. Coincidence? Not.

According to Dr. Evans, to break the curse is simply confessing your sins and turning to God. Whenever Israel repented, God blessed her. When she was rebellious, God cursed her.

Parents who are rebellious toward God, instill in their children the same rebellion and sin. This can go on for many generations and even affecting entire nations, until they turn away from their sin and turn to God.

When he mentioned that even nations can be cursed because of generation after generation rejecting God, it made me think that maybe that's why you will find whole nations or tribes that know nothing about God. Not even a remnant.

God is just so awesome. I turned the radio on just in time to hear that sermon. :love2:

6. joey

joey Member

Hi freeatlast, thanks for that sermon link.

I suppose what I am thinking of is from reading several charismatic (?) Books that claim a genuine christian still may need spiritual deliverance from passed down familiar spirits, especially if family had followed non-christian religions.

Do you believe that type of teaching is correct?

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I was just asking a general question about a passage. So the answer is no.

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No I don't. If they have been saved that have been delivered. All that is left is to grow in the faith.

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Not really a fan of Tony Evens but he may be right on this. I see no reason to think the principle of generation cursing has ended. Perhaps someone might shed some light to the contrary but for now I think it is still happening.

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

According to his sermon, yes generational curses still happen because of the reasons I stated in my earlier post. Deliverance is through confession of one's sins and turning to the Lord. God's desire is to bless us not to curse us.

I really like Tony Evans. What is it you don't like about him?

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

That is interesting as I also think they are still going on. I will PM you about why i don't follow his teachings so as not to influence someone else.

12. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I fully believe in generational curses. I've seen two clear examples in the lives of my family (extended).

The first is a jealous controlling spirit that can be traced back several generations and has caused no small amount of drama and family conflict. At least one murder occurred because if it and I doubt there is a whole family (by that I mean one not touched by divorce or disownment) looking back from my generation of cousins for at least 4 generations. My own childhood family (not my husband or kids) was broken by that spirit years ago. I believe the Lord has spared my children and husband because of my love for Him and willingness to not be jealous or controlling.

Second example is one of "hidden" s*xual sin that ran through members of my husband's extended family. It also didn't disappear from the line until someone in one generation stood firm in repentance and the forgiveness of Christ (which means it wasn't easy or instant)

So yes, I'm a firm believer in generational curses, but I also believe the second half of the verse! (the part about blessings for a thousand generations for those who love the Lord)

13. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks fro Your Response....

.....I was a little concerned for you! It really sounded as if you were searching for something more.

Blessings,

Pastor Paul

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I thank you for the concern.

15. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You Are Welcome...

....I know we bump heads, from time to time, but when the rubber hits the road, you are my brother, and I'll keep an eye on your back at all times. :thumbsup:

16. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was no curse. BoSox just stunk for 82 years.

17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Nothing wrong with that.

18. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Will the generational curses be broken whether the Christian is aware of their family tree pattern of sin or not?[/QUOTE]

19. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

[/QUOTE]
    I am not Joey but. I would guess only in his line. If the person had brothers and sisters it would continue although I would think that the opportunity to break their line would be easier since they would now have a personal witness to the truth.

20. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

I am not Joey but. I would guess only in his line. If the person had brothers and sisters it would continue although I would think that the opportunity to break their line would be easier since they would now have a personal witness to the truth.[/QUOTE]

It would become automatically broken the moment one believed unto jesus and be saved, after that, important to realise we are now freed, and NO need to go back under that bondage, as we are feed by God...

battle at that point in the mind, as we are feed by the Cross, but Satan love us to think we are not and have us act as if we weren't!