1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Generational Failure

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Prayer has not been taken out of prayer. There is prayer before every examination. What the Supreme Court ruled was no one can write a prayer and say everyone must say this prayer. It was a good ruling.

There were drugs around since long before the previous generation you speak of, alcohol for instance has been abused since before Columbus. Do you have any knowledge of the Opium Wars?

Especially back when it was impossible for a woman to be granted a divorce or to own property, or to vote, etc.

What about syphilis, gonorrhea, and other STDs etc. ?

1973 to be exact ... and how many young women lost their lives in the back room abortion mills prior to that?

Nor are the kids today demonstration for justice for all, for doing away with discrimination? Just what is it they stand for today? And, are you saying they no longer have premarital sex?

And you are very selective in your facts.

Again, why do you attack other Christians?

2. 12strings

12strings Active Member

1. I refer you to Harold's post #40

2. I re-read the OP, and I fail to see EXACTLY what your average 65-year-old Christian is supposed to get out of it. Here's the central specifics you give:

Assuming I were a 65 year-old baby boomer (I'm not, I'm about half that old), trying hard to read your post with humility and learn from it, what exactly does repentance look like? I don't think your post tells me, unless it is simply to stop trying be involved in your church and let the young people do everything. It just says, you failed, let somebody else do it.

Especially assuming I was niether an isolationist fundamentalist, or a Liberal...what's my take-away? What exactly should I do differently now in order to better please God?

Assuming I am your average 65 year old church-goer, what paradigm have you broken down? Perhaps you have helped me see that my generation's time was not as full of roses as I dreamed, but that could apply to ANY generation.

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Now this is a very fair and thoughtful critique of the op. it is refreshing and I thank you.

What I want baby boomers to do is examine their ideals, find the errors in them that have cost the church so dearly on their watch and correct them.

Humility ITSELF is a goal as well. Many of these folks seem to think quite pompously and clearly erroneously that they led the golden age of Christianity. They need to humble way down and stop that nonsense.

Along the same vein they are so critical of the upcoming generations. An OUNCE of real introspection would silence that drivel.

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I could not have been more clear that wonderful people of God came out of Ross above their generation. I even named some. But what I think you may not like about the op is the very thing I think we should be aiming for in arguments of this import. They SHOULD BE STINGING.

That is one of the main things these generations dropped the ball on.

But I don't honestly think your rebuke has merit seeing as how I was very clear about the exceptions.

What you may want me to do is take the stinger out of the post- when you take the punch out it becomes worthless. That is what a lot of sermons and arguments are today- so focused on congeniality that they lose the ability to to impact.

I think this is a common error today left us by, yes, the hippy generation.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You'll see. :type:

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a liar.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You start with "I Want."
    Then TEN times you point the figure at another generation, perhaps for things you are not doing yourself. Do you ever think of taking some responsibility?

Rebuke not an elder except in the presence of two or three witnesses.
    Your opinions are not validated facts; just opinions.

8. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Luke2427- If you don't mind me asking, what is your age? Your avatar is fuzzy just enough to show you as either a 25 year old or a 55 year old.

9. Herald

Herald New Member

Okay, Luke. I will take you point by point.

I should? Why? Did I miss the memo?

How did we "do church"?

I still have no idea what you are referring to. I am still stuck on the "doing church" part. The part that my Baby Boomer generation apparently got wrong.

Mess? What mess are you referring to? Details, please.

It is your your accusation without details that is upsetting me.

Really? You mean the pre-Baby Boomer America was largely Christian? I am sure you are serious about this, so I am sure you have empirical data to back up your claim. Do share.

Failed? You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

As a Calvinist I am interested in knowing what it is my soteriology is not the problem of. You still have not told me.

Great. I do not listen to much CCM. I am glad to know it is not the problem. But what is it not the problem of?

I am the problem? *sniff* *sniff* Yep. I took a bath. What is it that I did wrong, or am I one of those exceptions you mentioned. If I am, that is great news. I STILL have no idea what it is I have not done.

Where are those examples? You know, the hard data to support your claim.

You are a few decades too late. John Murray left Princeton Seminary decades before the Baby Boomer generation because it went liberal.

You must have forgot those quotes from the men you mentioned.

Which ideals?

Which old paths (Proverbs 22:28 )?

What culture are we trying to preserve?

Let what die? You have not told us anything yet.

10. 12strings

12strings Active Member

My point exactly...Luke hasn't "demolished" any "paradigms" yet.

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It is typically acceptable to say "I want" in answer to the question "What do you want?"

:rolleyes:

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I want you to take the same responsibility you accuse others of not taking.
    Open your eyes.

13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Do you require a memo to do anything?

Conservatives were largely isolationists who did not engage culture and became almost monastic.

Liberals were... well... liberal.

Then, when some moved away from isolationism man-centeredness became the damnable characteristic. Still there are those backward isolationist type churches that glorify the music and culture of the period that lost this nation. Many of them are IFB.

Hopefully it is clear to you now.

Now, I think this is a silly, silly question.

I could not have been clearer. There are not words in mortal tongue that could have been clearer.

Divorce, broken homes, children raised without their fathers in the home, declining church numbers, AIDS, godlessness and atheism rampant in our schools, abortion, etc...

Is this not a mess to you??

Do you not know that these things exploded in the 60's and 70's??

Really?

Do I need to cite sources to prove to you that water is wet???

Do you really need that?

The generation that was adult well before the 60's and 70's did have prayer in schools and the Bible was a school text book and abortion was illegal and AIDS was not an epidemic and drugs, yes, include alcohol if you wish, did not COMPARE to that of the 60s and 70s.

I thought everybody knew that.

I did not realize I was speaking to someone that uninformed.

Yes, I could go back and do the citing, but most of us know this is not necessary.

Most of us are very familiar with the year 1963 when sanctioned prayer was taken out of our schools.

Most of us are very familiar with what happened in 1973.

But if you still require education about these things, yes, I will do the research work for you. Just let me know.

Then you prefer Great Awakening?

Or do you prefer "extraordinary success of Christianity in the culture during the 60's and 70's"?

It is resurging in our culture TODAY. Most folks recognize that it waned greatly in this culture during the middle of the last century.

Therefore, Arminians cannot justify the witch hunt, especially prevalent in the SBC, that they have launched against Calvinists. It was not Calvinists who lost this nation.

Calvinists largely founded this nation. But this nation became a moral cesspool in the last century under largely Arminian reign.

It is not what has caused the church to lose this nation. I don't like it. But it is not even part of the problem because this nation was largely lost during the days of Southern Gospel styled convention music in churches.

I don't know you from Adam. I don;t know how old you are. But I also think it is pretty obvious that I am talking about a generation as a whole- not any specific individual.

Let me know if I need to do the research for you. I will.

And?

I'm not writing a research paper. I am pointing out things that I thought most people already knew and did not need them cited.

You did not know that Adrian Rogers said, for example, that he estimated that 85% of SBC church members were unconverted??

I thought everybody on baptistboard would know that.

Take, for example, Gregory's statement in a previous thread that he preferred the "old hymns of the faith.... like 'I'd Rather Have Jesus'"

He thinks the old faith is the faith that existed in the 50's, 60's and 70's. Any one who has ever been to an "old fashioned camp meeting" like I grew up going to has heard countless morons talk about the "old paths" in reference to the way the church was in the days of their youth.

I contend that that is the LAST place we need to get back to because it was during those years that we lost our culture.

I'm not trying to preserve it- I am trying to conquer it with the Gospel of Christ.

We certainly did not gain ground in the 60's and 70's. We lost it- tremendously.

The mentalities that the church had that caused the church to lose this nation.

14. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Fine.

I want you to take some too.

Arent you old. Shouldn't you lead the way?

Do you take any responsibility?

Or are you under the delusion that your generation was wonderful?

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

When, O Prophet, should I expect these terrible, terrible judgments to overtake me?

If you get cancer in the next six months, should I conclude it is the judgment of God on you for the way you speak to me?

If your church throws you out in the street should I conclude that it is God's lesson for you?

What judgments should I be looking for, seer, and when should they come?

And do you anticipate any coming your way?

16. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

O.K....I'll bite...only because I know History as well as you do, and you use it as a bludgeon in the most un-godly sort of ways:

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your main error is in the presumption that any human individual, generation or collective, Christian or non-, can sustain the church. Your lessons will come in the form of your illusions meeting reality. You will learn what it means to be broken. That's assuming, of course, that God has anything to do with you.

Give you younger ones a chance? To do what? Fail? Okay. :type:

#57 Aaron, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2013
  18. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

How silly. God uses means.

God has ordained all things that come to pass but he brings them to pass through means. Through "human individuals, generations, etc..."

This sit-back-on-your-laurels-cause-God-only-revives-cultures is not biblical Christianity nor is it true Calvinism.

What you need is a good dose of true Calvinistic evangelical fervor.

You have no idea what I have been through. You don't know how broken I am.

Being broken doesn't abate boldness- it fuels it. Consider Peter's denial of Christ and his preaching at Pentecost and for the rest of his days.

Do you assume he has anything to do with you?

I don't even know what this is referring to.

19. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member