1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gentiles not the "elect"?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Oct 26, 2006.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Can someone show Scripture showing the "elect" being referred to a gentile? In every instance, I see it referring to Israel / jews. I'm beginning to believe the verse stating "not all Israel is Israel", the "..is Israel" are the true elect. Since salvation has been offered to the gentile as a result of the jews denying Christ, is the fact that we are "in Christ" mean we are elect? I know that in Christ there is nether jew or gentile, but does that mean we are grafted into the "elect" and not Christ? How are gentile believers the elect, then?

2. Allan

Allan Active Member

>>>DELETED<<< - What I wrote was about election but not with regard toward the OP. Sorry Web.

#2 Allan, Oct 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2006
  3. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Natural branches

The Jews are the natural branches, those who have been cut out was cut out for unbelief, we gentiles were included with the believing Jews when we heard the Gospel of our salvation having believed.

The elect unto salvation are those who abide in the True Vine, Jesus.

4. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Yes, if you are 'in Christ' you are of the elect!
    Rom 2:29...but he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the Spirit, not in the letter; whose praise is not from men but from God!

Its isnt all the religious motions that we go through on the outside, the traditions, the rituals, but whether the heart has been changed and you have been born again from above. "I will put my law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God and they shall be my people! Jer 31:33
    Rom 3:9 What then? Are we better than they? Not at all. For we have previously charged both Jews and Greeks that they are all under sin.v29 Or is He the God of the Jews only? Is He not also the God of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also, since there is one God who will justify the circumcised by faith. This shows that salvation is not limited to any race or boundary but it is due to a rebirth, changed heart and life, no matter what nation, race or creed! God reaches beyond all boundaries to claim and regenerate His chosen ones!

#4 2BHizown, Oct 27, 2006
  5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is what I'm talking about. The believing gentiles are grafted into Christ, not into the "elect". Is it right call beliving gentiles "elect", since we are not jews...God's "elect"?

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How can I, a believing gentile, be "of" the jewish believers? We are both in Christ as neither jew or gentile, but "elect" refers to jews.

7. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Maybe elect is talking about entering into the kingdom and reigning with Jesus, and that not all believers, though saved in the end, are the elect. Maybe all those verses that you think are talking about checking to make sure you really are saved and 'elect' are talking about making sure you are going to have a place in that kingdom.

8. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Surely you jest James :smilewinkgrin:

9. npetreley

npetreley New Member

There are plenty of cases where gentiles are referred to as elect. But we only need one to show that it's not limited to the Jews.

Remember also that elect just means "chosen". It doesn't have to mean chosen for the same purpose every time the word is used. Although there is an "elect" of Israel for salvation, Israel as a whole was elect (chosen) for purposes other than salvation.

10. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

1st let it be known, this is no new idea. From the time Christ left this world, freewillers have tried their best to remove the idea found in the Bible that God elects people. I still do not understand why any one wants to run from the idea of God in control. The ideas we try to force on God is shameful.

God is brought so low by many that His power is reduced to a poor helpless God waiting on man to do something.

In Christ<<<Saint James

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

all that with no answer of a Gentile being the "elect", just a lot of words, no answer. Paul called the "elect" Israel.

#11 Brother Bob, Oct 27, 2006
  12. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

:)

Hello Bob,

I took that all knew the backgound of this church. I guess by your post you do not. One can find the history on line from many sites. Also check out a study Bible...I would guess you have one.

Here is a short statement from a site I just found for you Bob. I know nothing of the site...just came up under google.

http://www.bcbsr.com/books/eph.html

#12 Jarthur001, Oct 27, 2006
  13. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

The problem is, many people equate election with spiritual salvation.

14. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I would agree with you. This of course is wrong. In the end, all must believe.

15. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Believing God

Abraham believed God and was credited to him as righteousness.

Believers are the elect predestined to be saved before even the foundation of the world.

Believing have not saved them they trusted in God for thier salvation through the promised Jesus and the one who has come.

Before the cross it was trust in what was to come, now we live by faith of what has already been done.

We must know that the original elect was the Jews, but those who have been cut out was cut out for unbelief, we are included with the believing Jews when we heard the Gospel of our salvation having believed.

We all share in the nurishing sap.

So we are not to be arogant but afraid if God did not spare the natural branches He will not spare us either.

Paul letters were writen to believing churches as believers they are the elect of God.

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

#16 Brother Bob, Oct 27, 2006
  17. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would venture to guess that most would readily accept the comfort and joy of election, except for the fact that it logically implies "Limited Atonement." The smile turns into a droop when some may rationalize the possibility that some of their close loved ones "cannot" be saved. If there were a good way to separate the U and the I from the L without being a universalist, I am sure many "freewillers" would be more than happy to leap at the idea.

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I use the KJV instead of google!!;)

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

:applause: :applause: :laugh: :laugh: What a concept, you looked in the Bible???

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member