1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured George Whitefield

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van,I have read the letter many times over the years dating back to the late 80's. But you still have not answered my questions.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cutting the core out of Calvinism does not leave one a Calvinist! How can anyone call someone a Calvinist who denies particular redemption and efficacious grace? Whitefield held to both tenaciously.

Spurgeon modeled himself after Whitefield. Whitefield poured over Matthew Henry's commentary of the Bible. Rowland Hill was considered by many to be in the same mold as Whitefield --a convinced and thorough going Calvinist.

You need to read J.C. Ryle's book :"Christian Leaders of the 18th Century. Ryle was an Anglican, but very much like Spurgeon in so many ways. The books gives profiles of these leaders during the Second Awakening period, as well as afterward. Aside from Wesley and John Fletcher the rest were strong Calvinists to a man.

You need to read about Lady Huntington's Connection where she supported these men monetarily and otherwise. It was like a preaching center.

You harbor great confusion. One preaches what one believes. You just don't read or listen to Calvinistic preachers.

But I still insist that all who are genuinely born from above pray like Calvinists though their beliefs may be Arminian. Hoekseman, Warfield, Bavinck, Spurgeon and a lot of other Calvinists have said the same. That's because when praying one's true, bottom-line theology has to come out.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John Wesley's theology was at odds with much of the Bible. And he was not only doctrinally deficient, but morally also.

I have a thread that I started in August of 2007 called :"John Wesley's Deceit." In that I posted various lies, false attributions and plagiarisms that he was involved in --after he said he was converted.

He grievously wronged Toplady and James Hervey. He never acknowledged that he had done any wrong-doing. He was still up to his old tricks with Gill and Roland Hill.

Doug Wilson has said that there has been a "whitewash of history" with respect to John Wesley. The actual character of the latter is rather sullied.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets just say that Martyn Lloyd-Jones did not look favorably upon John Wesley. Called him a typical Englishman. That pronouncement was never used to describe George Whitfield however.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So on average, the man was a lout. Did he also justify his carnality? How did his arminian adherents ever Morph Anglican Arminism into a Wesleyan church I wonder? Ive got ex -Catholic relatives who are quite taken by it and so have become Wesleyan (quite cult like).....very bizzare. Is it that they wanted to rid themselves of any inference of Reformed theology? The reader should know that Whitfield was the champion of the Calvinistic Methodists.