1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gibson's Primetime Interview

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Aaron, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By far one of the most satisfying interviews I've seen regarding answers to critics about the Gosple narratives. [​IMG]

2. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

It went well. Catholics will be up late tonight though answering his "Muslims can be saved as Muslims" quote.

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Aaron, the big issue of the interview from Sawyer's vantage point was the question:

Who killed Jesus Christ?? Who was responsible??

Gibson's film depicts the Jewish nation as the culprits---then again---it also pictures Pilate ultimately condemning Jesus to death---thus---both Jews and Gentiles alike together---the Bible says the whole world was against the Lord Jesus!! So from our vantage point as humans---it appears as if BOTH Jews and Gentiles----BUT----

It would do us well to take another look at exactly what happened from JESUS' point of view-----from Jesus' lips!! From the lips of God---here's what really happened!!!

In John 10:18 Jesus said, "No man taketh it(His life) from Me(how can you take anything away from God???), BUT I LAY IT DOWN FREELY."

No man TOOK Jesus' life!!! Jesus GAVE His life "a ransom for many!"

Halelujah! What a Savior!!

Brother David

4. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I'm not voting for him as a Sunday School teacher in my church but, he sure beats the daylights out of what the rest of Hollywood is putting out. He gave very good answers to almost all of the questions.

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

But it appeared as if it were Diane Sawyer who is the "Catechism" dropout!!! :rolleyes:

When Hollywood does a "flick" about the Precious Lord Jesus and the media gets involved in interviews---it always makes me so :mad: :mad: !!

6. Forever settled in heaven

i missed the interview, but did it have anything to add to what Mel n Jim ("Jesus") have said regarding their faith? the sources that i have:

http://www.informedchristians.com/articles/ART-why_i_will_not_see.htm

http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/04/passion.htm

i just find it hard to believe that Mel wld say a Christian cld get to heaven thru Islam (as suggested by one of the posts) when he wldn't even let his wife n Protestants thru.

7. Forever settled in heaven

i missed the interview, but did it have anything to add to what Mel n Jim ("Jesus") have said regarding their faith? the sources that i have:

i just find it hard to believe that Mel wld say a Christian cld get to heaven thru Islam (as suggested by one of the posts) when he wldn't even let his wife n Protestants thru.

8. Forever settled in heaven

9. Forever settled in heaven

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ditto about the typical media and Diane in particular. If I were being interviewed, I'd give a list of questions that would be REQUIRED. That way I'd get MY agenda across.

Then allow lattitude to the reporter to pursue other angles (journalistic freedom).

You wonder if some reporters have ever even heard of the Jesus Christ except in a cuss word!

11. Alex Mullins

Alex Mullins New Member

I was impressed with Mel Gibson's answers during his "Primetime" interview last evening. History has proven that the Church of Rome, contrary to what they themselves may say, is not "Christian". There are at least 62 areas where they are at odds with God's word.

Mel, as a true believer, needs to come out from her and be separate.

I have not seen the movie but plan on doing so. The interview seemed to deal with the trial and the crucifixion of the Lord Jesus. Too bad they seem to be dwelling on issues like "Who, was responsible for his death" and "Why?"

Do they not know He is not dead? He lives!!

If and when Hollywood and the Catholic Church ever get it right the real story will include the ressurection, the continuing work of Jesus through His Holy Spirit and how He is still at work in the lives of those who have accepted and trusted Him as Saviour and is still changing and saving people today.

That's the real story!

12. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

Exactly [​IMG]

We cannot make Gibson an evangelical and expect evangelical Baptist answers. To paraphrase the Pope quote: He is what he is.

I thought the interview was great.

13. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think he was very nervous, which is excusable being put on the "hot seat" like that to answer to his faith and his project. His theology needs a little work, especially from our perspective, but on the whole I was very proud of him. I liked how he stood up to the stuff about his father. Whatever the man believes, it had nothing to do with the subject of the interview, and Mel as much as said, "I may not agree with him, but he's my father, and I love him, and you're not going to put a wedge between him and me." Mel needs our prayers, and so do those evangelicals who have chosen to work with him personally, to set him straight on some things.

14. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Alex, in the new non-fiction book I'm working on, I can only find 56 areas that protestants continuly misunderstand Catholics on. I'm wondering what the other 6 areas are. And if you insist on declaring that those who follow the doctrines of the univseral church of Jesus Christ are not Christians, you better start telling that to the faithful Catholics here on the board, because they have me convinced of their faith!

Remember that the whole point to the movie is not to be just another "jesus" movie. It's intent is not to go from Matthew 1 to Acts. It's intent is to focus on the suffering of Christ on the cross. And it does end in the resurrection.

Also remember this isn't exactly hollywood endorsed. Did you see the look on Dianes face the whole time?

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The REAL story is that you're judging the movie based on the denominational affiliation of its creator, without having seen the film. It's sad to see the Enemy win by such divisiveness.

16. vaspers

vaspers New Member

Mel said, "We are all God's children" and that Christians "just have a [better? faster?] track to heaven"--this was horrible. What a grand way to destroy gospel in its entirety. I don't like the word "passion" connected with Jesus, since most people think "lust," "sex," or, at best, "obsession with ambition-object." I also question "two hours of brutality." My church is going Feb 29 to see film, I'm the Promotion Writer for church, and Jr. high Sunday School teacher, but I have to tell you: if it gets too bloody, sadistic, etc. on big loud movie screen, I'll get up and leave. Gospels don't dwell morbidly on Jesus' suffering. Yet I know we are not aware of how bad crucifixion was. Yet to focus on the brutality, this is Seeker-Insensitive to an extreme perhaps. I dunno.

17. vaspers

vaspers New Member

Mel said that "we are all God's children" and that "Christians just have a [better? faster"?] track to heaven. A lie. Demolishes entire gospel. I also don't like using word "passion" in connection with Jesus, since most people think of "sex," "lust," or, at best, "obsession with object of ambition." If this film is "two hours of brutality" I will walk out in the middle of it, even though my church is going Feb 29, I'm the Promotion Writer for church, and a Jr. High Sunday school teacher. Too much sadism and blood--no wonder R rating. I know crucifixion is obscure to us today, and we need to appreciate Jesus suffering, but this--? I dunno.

18. vaspers

vaspers New Member

mel gibson said "we are all God's children" and that "Christians just have a [better? faster?} track to heaven." A lie. Demolishes gospel.

19. vaspers

vaspers New Member

mel gibson said "we are all God's children" and that "Christians just have a [better? faster?} track to heaven." A lie. Demolishes gospel.

20. vaspers

vaspers New Member

mel said, "we are all God's children" and that "Christians just have a faster, better track to heaven." A lie. Demolishes gospel. If this film is "two hours of brutality," not so sure I'm going to want to sit there and watch blood and sadism that long. I know crucifixion is obscure to us moderns, and Jesus suffered for all sins of world, but is this excessively focused on this aspect? I also don't like "passion" used in connection with Jesus, since most people think "sex," "lust," or "obsession with object of ambition" at best.