1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gideons face trespassing charges

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by I Am Blessed 24, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Two Christians who volunteer to distribute free copies of God's Word are facing criminal charges in Florida even after they complied with a police officer's questionable order to leave a public sidewalk.

LINK

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I don't want ANY strangers approaching my grandkids as they enter and leave school. These are children, not adults. Big difference. Too much danger. Kids need to run away from strangers, and schools need to protect them as they leave.

3. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

You've completely missed the point of the article. The question is did the men violate any law by giving out Bibles on the sidewalk?

As a parent I feel much the same as you with respect to someone approaching my kids (that is why my wife or I drop them off and pick them up every day). However, my feelings do not enter the picture here. The question is did those men violate some law? Unless there is some local or Florida state law that I don't know about, which prohibits people from approaching kids leaving a school, I'd have to say that they did not violate any law.

4. I Am Blessed 24

The Gideons have been passing out New Testaments to school children for many years.

When I was a school crossing guard, they did this twice a year. They always stood on the corners opposite the school. They never approached the children. They just handed New Testaments to the children that came up to them.

Sidewalks are public property, school grounds are not. I don't see where they could possibly have broken any laws unless they were actually on the school grounds instead of the sidewalk and I highly doubt that.

5. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Hey Sue,

When I was a kid the Gideons used to come into the classroom and give a Bible to everyone that wanted one. I agree with you, I don't see how they could have broken any law so long as they did not obstruct the sidewalk.

6. Magnetic Poles

I don't care if they are handing out Bibles or crack cocaine, I don't like the idea of adults loitering around schoolchildren. I don't know them, my kids don't need to have to figure out how to avoid getting close to strange adults lingering on the sidewalk by a school, hoping to engage other people's children without their parents around.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

the question is, is it illegal to stand on a public sidewalk and hand a bible to someone who asks for it. nothing else.

8. standingfirminChrist

You should care if they are handing out crack cocaine. I would welcome any stranger who was honest and was giving my children, grandchildren, nieces or nephews a Bible that they might find Christ.

9. I Am Blessed 24

I remember that too, but that was before the days of Madelyn Murray O'Hare. :tear:

They don't loiter, they are busy handing out Bibles. We could take after their example of wanting to see souls saved... :saint:

10. standingfirminChrist

Amen, Sue!

11. Magnetic Poles

It all depends. IF there are anti-loitering laws, then it certainly could be illegal. Secondly, from what I know of Gideons, they don't passively wait for those who ask...they offer. Thirdly, again, if they are accosting children, they should be made to move along. Any pervert could join the Gideons as a means of approaching children.

12. Magnetic Poles

My point is that it matters not what they are handing out, but that strangers ought not to be bothering children. My kids were taught to run screaming if a stranger approached them. Blocking the sidewald at a school by adults is undermining parents' teaching and forcing kids to get close to them. I think they should be forced to move along or be arrested. Let them offer to adults and leave other people's kids alone.

13. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I agree! :thumbsup:

14. I Am Blessed 24

Who said they were blocking the sidewalk? There were only two of them and they hold each other accountable for their actions. The Bible says "send them out two by two". There was a reason for that...

They broke no law and they complied immediately with the police officer's request.

But, they are still facing criminal charges. This is hogwash!

The subject of the OP is not if parents want their children to run from strangers - it is about - "Did the Gideons break the law."

Please stay on topic.

15. Magnetic Poles

It is on topic. I already stated that most jurisdictions I know of have anti-loitering laws. SO it is likely they were in violation. I applaud the cops for protecting children. So please don't start a topic and try to suppress discussion that disagrees with your opinion.

#15 Magnetic Poles, Feb 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2007
  16. I Am Blessed 24

Oh please! The cops were nowhere to be seen until the school called them. It's not like they patrol the school grounds.

Where I live, the crossing guards are employees of the police department, not the school district, and while they are in place, nothing out of the way happens without it getting reported.

The Gideons always let the police department know which day they will be standing on the sidewalk, handing out Bibles. The "anti-loitering" law does not apply to them because they are not loitering. They are going about their Father's business.

I'm so thankful that I live where Gideons can hand out Bibles and we can still have Nativity scenes on the courthouse square!

You'd better stop worrying about protecting your children from Christians handing out Bibles, and start worrying about other people who would really harm them...

We have already allowed the ACLU to take prayer out of school. Now, you want people to be stopped from handing out the Word of God on a public sidewalk?

Get real!

#16 I Am Blessed 24, Feb 10, 2007
  17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This could very well be considered a free speech issue. I'm sure the aclu will assist the Gideons.:rolleyes:

On the other hand...probably not. Liberals in general only support free speech when it suits them, and the aclu only when it means stopping the spread of the Gospel.

18. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You two always seem to take a position against Christianity. Why is that?

19. I Am Blessed 24

Amen!!!

I was wondering the same thing. It happens over and over. :tear:

20. Magnetic Poles

Please stay on topic!!

Seriously though: Typical persecution complex. It is not very becoming of Christians to frame every issue as Christians being persecuted. Of course the school called them, as they should have to protect the kids. As for accountability, what is to stop two sex offenders from joining the Gideons to accost kids. It's a sad, but true fact of life today. Protecting our kids is not "taking a position against Christianity". What poppycock!

#20 Magnetic Poles, Feb 10, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.