1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gingrich Rips Odrama

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    “But then the final educational lesson of the evening came when the president having promised he would not raise taxes on anyone below $250,000 mentioned…that he is for an energy tax… I said to myself, let me get this straight, we are not going to raise taxes on anyone making less than $250,000 per year, unless you use electricity. And we are not going to raise taxes on anyone under $250,000 per year, unless you buy gasoline, … [or] unless you buy heating oil, … [or] unless you use natural gas… And I thought to myself how dumb do they think we are that they can pretend that an energy tax is not an energy tax and … that every retired American who uses electricity is not going to pay it, and every person in New Hampshire who uses heating oil is not going to pay it, and every person who drives a car isn’t going to pay it. I just want to report to Attorney General Holder and President Obama that this is a nation of people courageous enough…to insist that we not be governed by people who won’t tell us the truth.”

More Here

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ROFL ... and Ging is such an upstanding, moral, truth telling person. Living in the glass house that he has been shown to live in I'd think Ging would know better. Just shows he thinks American have no memory.

Thanks for the chuckle.

3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not unusual that you cannot address the op. No surprises here.

4. targus

targus New Member

Perhaps you would care to comment on the energy tax.

Is it not a tax on everyone - even those making less than $250,000 ?

Isn't this contrary to Obama's promise that he would not raise taxes on those making less than $250,000?

5. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Very typical. Attack the messenger and not the message. [​IMG]

6. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not attacking, just reporting my amusement.

I believe Obama was speaking about the income tax and not other taxes. After all if the gasoline tax were raised it would be raised for everyone who drives. But I would not consider that a break of promise as it is not an income tax.

I believe Ging was just mudding the waters. Not really good logic on his part.

7. targus

targus New Member

So when Obama says " if your family earns less than $250,000 a year, you will not see your taxes increased a single dime. I repeat: not one single dime" we should have assumed that he was only talking about "income taxes" and not any other tax?

It depends on what the meaning of "taxes" is?

Then we can't really take Obama at his word and need to remember to parse his words carefully so as not to be fooled?

Kind of like with Clinton?

8. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe if you look back at his speeches on this you and take his quote in context you will see he was talking about income taxes only.

If I am wrong, please give me a link on that shows his comments in quotes, not someone's opinion of what he said.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

And this excuses omabas lies how? Why do you have so much trouble focusing on the topic in everyone of these threads?

10. targus

targus New Member

I provided you with the quote from his State of the Union speech.

I responded according to my opinon - not the opinion of someone else.

You choose to defend Obama by saying that he meant only "income taxes".

To me "you will not see your taxes increased a single dime. I repeat: not one single dime" is a pretty definative statement that should not require parsing what type of tax .

So if your "income taxes" don't go up but you end up paying hundreds or thousands more in other taxes, then you won't mind and you will continue to defend Obama because he "meant only income taxes" - yes?

11. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Actually Gingrich left out a few things: like food or anything that is transported which means everything the consumer uses. Of course there may be some who are completely self sufficient but I doubt it.

When the American people realize that they are getting the proverbial democrat/leftist shaft perhaps they will wake up. It really is barbed!:smilewinkgrin:

12. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Actually Gingrich left out a few things: like food or anything that is transported which means everything the consumer uses. Of course there may be some who are completely self sufficient but I doubt it.

When the American people realize that they are getting the proverbial democrat/leftist shaft perhaps they will wake up. It really is barbed!:smilewinkgrin:

Double post for the benefit of the O'bamamites!

13. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

At least President Obama didn't bring divorce papers to his wife while she was in the hospital. President Obama also wasn't having an ongoing affair with a younger woman, like Newt was doing.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And yet you support one who is working hard to slaughters unborn children. But neither is on topic. It seems you struggle to address the op so you run with an off topic attack.

15. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

How is this relevant to Obama's promises about taxes? Do you not see how silly it sounds when you say stuff like this?

Can you address the OP or not?

16. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You made a selective quote so as to take the meaning out of context. That is not intellectually very honest. Here is the entire quote and as you see he was talking about income taxes. Why did you leave out the part about the tax cut? Just curious.

The bold emphasis is mine.

17. targus

targus New Member

I don't see the words "income tax" in any of your quotes.

You are assuming that Obama was talking about "income taxes".

I make no such assumption.

When someone says that my taxes won't go up by "one dime" I don't expect to have to guess that he is only talking about "income taxes".

"Not one dime" is a strong statement meant to make me think that my taxes won't go up at all. It turns out that is not the case.

BTW the $13 a week is a "tax credit" not a "tax cut".

The tax tables will not be changed.

Oh yes, another thing, the $13 a week will be in the form of reduced withholding taxes - so what are the checks that will be on the way?

There will be no checks on the way from Obama if you actually work for a living.

He is just saying what sounds good to a certain segment of the population that is under his spell.

#17 targus, Mar 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2009
  18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Odrama is making use of word games. He keeps everything vague so as to be right about everything and wrong about nothing. The truth is he is a liar and the son of the father of it.

19. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly how do you know?

20. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Intellectually honest? Which part of that quotation of yours mentions income taxes? None ... Can we be honest about that at least?

We are not asking you to jump over buildings or launch a moon rocket. We are simply asking you to be honest about the issues.