1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Giuliani on Gun Control

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Nov 4, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

All due respect, so what about the picture? What does he believe? What is his record?

I'm more of a substance than style guy, Ken.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    MAYOR GIULIANI AND SPEAKER VALLONE ANNOUNCE
    CITY LAWSUIT AGAINST GUN INDUSTRY

Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani and City Council Speaker Peter F. Vallone, joined by Corporation Counsel Michael Hess, today announced that the City of New York has filed a lawsuit against two dozen major gun manufacturers and distributors. The suit alleges a number of illegal practices conducted by the gun industry, including:
    • Deliberately manufacturing many more firearms than can be bought for legitimate purposes such as hunting and law enforcement, and knowingly targeting these excess guns to criminals, youths and other persons unqualified to buy firearms;
    • Deliberately undermining New York City's gun control laws by flooding markets with looser gun laws with firearms that the manufacturers know are destined to be illegally resold in New York City;
    • Ignoring the illegal practices of gun distributors, many of whom openly engage in the above practices;
    • Refusing to manufacture safer guns, with such features as trigger locks and "personalization" measures that allow only authorized persons to fire the weapon.
    "This is an industry that is profiting from the suffering of innocent people," Mayor Giuliani said. "What's worse, its profits rest on a number of illegal and immoral practices. This lawsuit is meant to end the free pass that the gun industry has so long enjoyed."

Council Speaker Vallone said, "More than 30,000 people, including 4,200 children, die every year in the U.S. from firearms-more people than in any other country in the world. I join with the Mayor in this lawsuit to send a message to gun manufacturers that New York City will hold them accountable for their reckless and irresponsible practices."

The suit seeks an as yet unspecified amount of damages for the many ways in which these illegal practices and illegal guns harm New York City and its residents-including, for instance, the $17 million per year spent by the City Health and Hospitals Corporation treating gunshot wounds.
    Defendants named in the suit include most major gun manufacturers, distributors and dealers currently operating the United States, or who export large numbers of guns to the United States.

Plaintiffs in the lawsuit are the City of New York, Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani, City Council Speaker Peter F. Vallone, and the Health and Hospitals Corporation. The suit was filed in the United States District Court, Eastern District of New York.

- www.nyc.gov/html/om/html/2000a/pr238-00.html

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Do you have a Westlaw or Lex/Nex where I can see this?
    Thanks!

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Thanks. I'll look this over and research it on Lex/Nex & Westlaw, too. I just thought if you had it handy, you could post a link. That's the least you can do to a man whose team is facing a thrashing from yours :tonofbricks:

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't bet on an Arkansas win, Tom. One never knows when Houston Nutt will go into his play-not-to-lose offensive shell and think that the Hogs can win the game 7-6.