1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gnosticism 2

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Askjo, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Michelle: "The proof provided is always denied and scoffed at... I have provided it in another thread...You can find what I provided a while ago...I wish many of you would stop saying that nothing has been provided....It has already been provided".

This reminds me of something totally off the subject, but worth recounting, from Metzger's autobiographical book, Confessions of an Octogenarian:

Metzger recounts a tale from his seminary days about an early Greek NT manuscript fragment having been discovered and put into the hands of his major professor which had an interesting addition after the phrase "there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth".

This manuscript continued with one of the disciples asking, "But Master, what if such a person has no teeth?" Jesus answered and said unto him, "Teeth will be provided." :D

The story of this manuscript and the additional phrase was published sometime in the 1940s or 50s in the scholarly journal, Catholic Biblical Quarterly, which anyone near a Bible College or Seminary library can consult (Metzger gives the exact reference in his book, but I don't have it handy).

2. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    She made a passing remark that the NIV has the phrase "the one" in it and therefore it is new age. Yet, she did not provide one verse to prove new age use of said phrase.

3. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Wrong! James declined to answer Stewart's questions because he is impossible to answer them. James confronted Ruckman, Waite, Gipp and others, but Stewart.
    I do not think you tell the truth.
    What did this book say? Please give me what Jay wrote.
    What did a book say? Please give me what YOU learned from him.

4. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I see, you talk about an unbelieving scholar Metzger.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

10 pages and still not an example!

We are told to buy a book but it should be pretty simple to post a passage or verse that shows gnostic beliefs in the MVs.