1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured God Gave Wine: What the Bible Says About Alcohol

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Oct 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess I just don't see the "need" to have alcohol in a drink to enjoy the taste of it. I've had a lot of very enjoyable, flavorful drinks which had zero alcohol content. As a matter of fact, IMHO, alcohol tastes TERRIBLE on it's own, and detracts from the taste of anything you put it in. Other than "chemically altering" your brain, which is why you get "ozzy" :tongue3:, what's the purpose of putting alcohol in a drink? Enhancing the taste? Really? Somehow, I'm just not believing that. BTW, I'm not condemning anyone. Drink if you want to, but as a Christian, and knowing what alcohol can do to a person and family, I see it as playing "how close can I get to sin without crossing the line?" Not something I want to do, and don't understand Christians who do. My. 02.

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, his stand is true to the eat no meat in his presence interpretations of I Cor. 8, marital bonds notwithstanding.

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes.

Yes.

That's a matter of opinion and personal taste. I happen to agree with your opinion, but that's neither here nor there.

Alcohol in modest quantities is good for one's circulatory system. It also has some value in relieving stress.

The problem with making this assumption is that you are assuming an attitude which another Christian may or may not have. Many things in the Christian life are more about attitude than actions. If I work very hard to serve God, someone may assume that I am trying to earn God's favor and condemn me for it. However, I might just be working very hard to serve God because I want to be involved in what He is doing in the world. The actions are the same, but the attitude makes all the difference.

I appreciate your honesty in saying you don't understand some other Christians in this regard. Just consider that we all come from different backgrounds and have different weaknesses. I could live in a bar, 24-hours-a-day, and never get drunk. I've never had much interest in alcoholic beverages (although I occasionally consume a glass of wine), and I've never been intoxicated or even had a "buzz." However, if you get me near an all-you-can-eat buffet, I will have to strenuously work to exercise self-control. However, you rarely hear much about the sin of gluttony in most Baptist churches, which is an area of personal weakness that I'm only slowly being transformed from in Christ.

#43 Baptist Believer, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Honestly, there are some drinks that are just delicious. A margharita is one example - you can't make that non-alcoholic. A daqueri you can. I had a very yummy non-alcoholic drink at a wedding the other day that was Sprite and pineapple juice with a splash of cranberry juice. Oooo-eee!! That was yummy - and why I had 3 of them. LOL But really, there are some drinks that are great and just cannot be made non-alcoholic. I personally love (and miss) the taste of these drinks!

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would like to substitute caffeine for alcohol and coffee for drink in this post. You do get a buzz from caffeine. It is cumulative. Anyway, here's what you get:

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You are now walking on dangerous ground now buster. DO NOT TOUCH MY CAFFEINE!!!!!!

7. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hear you. :laugh:

But it's very comparable. A legal, mood altering substance that can be abused or used in moderation.

8. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Carry on..............:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

I am a big fan of the Three Stooges, I once read a very good book about them. Moe, Shemp, and Curly were brothers in real life. Larry was an accomplished violinist. They were all Jewish, Moe's real name was Moses.

That funny walk of Curly's was not an act, he accidentally shot himself in the foot hunting when he was a boy, he incorporated his limp into his act.

Moe had a Model T car, he allowed Shemp to drive it, he drove it into a store front and was afraid to drive the rest of his life. When they did any car scenes, Shemp demanded the car could not be running and was pulled by stage-hands using ropes.

In real life Moe was a very gentle family man loved by everyone, he shunned Hollywood. Curly on the other hand was a real ladies man, married and divorced several times.

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone who gets "ozzy" sinned if that is another word for "buzzed". And looking at the title adding "God gave" does not make getting drunk any better.

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

I am pretty sure he meant to say "dizzy". Getting "ozzy" is MUCH worse. :laugh:

12. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Carry on....

[​IMG]

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Maybe here is another way to look at it. If we spent as much time telling others about Jesus as we do worrying about who drinks, why and when, the pews would be much fuller.

14. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

With respect to your grandma who was undoubtedly just standing firm for something she was convinced was true...

The sad fact is that this is what most IFB people sound like.

The MOTION PICTURE SHOW!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!! I love it! I used to preach against "the Hollywoood movies"!

I also used to damn to hell what we fundamentalists called "mixed bathing" MIXED BATHING!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

One of the things that makes these people so hilarious is that they try so hard to sound like guys like Sam Jones and it is so fake and out of place.

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Justifying drinking responsibly is like justifying eating responsibly. It is a stupid waste of time because it does not REQUIRE justifying- the Bible is clear that it is already good.

Threads like this are not about justifying drinking but about condemning the phariseeism and ignorance of those who condemn drinking.

16. Bob in St. Louis

Bob in St. Louis New Member

So. In summary...

If I drink and the effect does not steer my thoughts away from my goal of joining Jesus, then I'm "good". Right?

Bob
    .....sorry if that sounds "noob", but I came here for guidance.

17. Winman

Winman Active Member

Not quite Satch, a person MUST eat to live. If you stop eating you will die. A person does not have to drink alcohol to live, and if a person does not drink they will not die. In fact, they will probably live much longer if they never drink. I had a few friends that liked to drink, they died in their 20s BECAUSE of drinking.

If a person chooses to drink that is their decision, but it is not the same as eating food. This is a RIDICULOUS argument.

18. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A very logical and reasonable point.

19. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

Moe, Curly and Shemp were brothers.

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

Yes, that is what I said. They were Jewish, their last name was Howard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.