1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God Helps Those Who Help Themselves

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by sag38, Jul 5, 2011.

1. SonPraises

SonPraises New Member

This is from Benjamin Franklin. Although I don't believe and didn't believe when I was a non-Cal, I have heard variants of it such as "giving feet to our prayers" and "pray like everything depends on God and work like everything depends on you." The variations, I think have some merit. As always, your milage may differ.

2. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Thanks for your honesty and candor.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As revmwc has already pointed out, the phrase comes directly from the pen of Algernon Sidney [a Calvinist] .

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup:

Go to the ant, thou sluggard; Consider her ways, and be wise: Pr 6:6

The soul of the sluggard desireth, and hath nothing; But the soul of the diligent shall be made fat. Pr 13:4

The way of the sluggard is as a hedge of thorns; But the path of the upright is made a highway. Pr 15:19

#24 kyredneck, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2011
  5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sag,

Study the atonement and you will see it was a perfect work accepted by the Father.
    It actually atones....not potential....but actual.
    hebrews 9:12 speaks of an accomplished redemption.....not a potential redemption.

It is Full Redemption for everyone who believes,because that was the purpose of it.

it was Particular because man left to himself does not want it, God purposed to save a multitude in His Son.....He does exactly that.

In the original post....God helps those who cannot help themselves...so God effectually draws them to The Son.