1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Going to the Theatre

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Pareeeee, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Dr Bob...

Huh? :confused: What?

You've had movie parts? :D

You cant just put that out there like that and not elaborate! You have to spill the beans.

Its clear from your picture that you are dashingly handsome. :thumbs:, so c'mon and tell us. What movies? What parts have you had?

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been going to the movies all my life. My wife and I probably go about once a month or so. We also watch a lot of movies at home as we have Encore, HBO, and Cinemax. We also watch movies on DVD or Blu-ray using our Netflix account. We just watched the first Narnia movie on DVD, have the second one on hand, and looking forward to seeing the third one at the movies next month.

I never have seen it as a problem to go to movies or to watch TV.

I wonder if folks who have a problem with the idea of going to the movies or watching TV ever watch videos on the Internet? :smilewinkgrin:

3. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Hello Salty

Gas mileage isn’t an issue, because a trip would never be made just for that.
    We would be going to town for something else and decide to go.

If you don’t live in the middle of nowhere, you won’t understand “monthly trips” to the big city, to stock up.

4. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

Amen.....Wish I had said that!:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do now - live out in the country - we buy grocires once a month

6. stilllearning

Hello annsni

You said.....
    You need to read my post. We weren’t hiding from anybody.
    It is something done, so as not to hurt the faith, of fellow believers.

And we have ran into some folks from our church at a theater before, but from the context of my post, it was a none issue, because they undoubtedly didn’t think it was a sin either.
    --------------------------------------------------
    You also said.......
    Once again, if you read the Scripture that I had included, the Bible teaches that within a Church there are weak and strong Christians. The weak ones will think things like this are sin, simply because some preacher said it was, while the strong ones will see that it’s not in the Bible, and is okey.

I am not permitted, to use my pulpit, to try and force these weak souls, to disregard their personal convictions(that should never be done), to say nothing of the wider communities opinion.

The point of my post was, there are things to consider, other than what we may think about it.

7. stilllearning

Hi rbell

You said.......
    No it’s not silly. Those “grace-stealers”(as you call them), are our brothers and sisters in Christ, and the LORD wants us to consider their feelings..........
    Romans 14:21
    “[It is] good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor [any thing] whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.”

8. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

You aren't permitted to use the pulpit to teach people? Wow...we must be doing things wrong in my church. What do you do from the pulpit, just sing Jesus Loves Me non-stop?

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Exactly....

10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

:laugh::laugh::applause:

Very funny and true!!

11. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I don't know about you all, but I don't even worry about the theatre. As I am well aware, you can be at home watching a ball game, and a commercial will come on, in your face, and teach a kid filth, and how to say something off the wall, or even to cuss in a matter of 1/2 second. The Amstel Lite commercial? Taught my son a curse word. We don't watch much TV either. I guess I should've known better.

I'm just not so sure seeing a movie, and all the previews pryor, is worth it at all.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, there are things to consider but if there is a weaker brother who thinks things wrongly about someone because of them doing NOTHING wrong, how do we deal with that? Do we make sure we do nothing that can make a brother stumble or do we address the issue with them? I say to address the issue. Otherwise we'd never be seen in public!!

13. stilllearning

I started to not respond to your post, but then I wanted to let you know, it’s my job to preach the Gospel and teach the saints the importance of drawing closer to the Lord.

Not to preach the importance of going to the movies.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Yes it is an issue of Spiritual freedom, but this is something that people need to learn on their own.

Just as I don’t think it’s right for preachers who don’t have TVs, to preach that everyone should stop watching TV.

In the same way, preachers who don’t think it’s wrong to go to the movies, should not preach that everyone should go to the movies.

Do you understand now?

14. stilllearning

You also have a point there.

We can only do so much, to protect others.
    For my wife and I, we have decided that to go to the local theater, would be flaunting our freedoms a little too much, and are just wanting to be careful.

As for teaching them, that things like this are not sin, that comes at it’s own pace.
    There are much more important things that need to be taught first.

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Going to the theater is not flaunting liberty. Jesus did not stop eating and drinking with sinners and publicans to satisfy the stupid standards of the Pharisees.

Neither should you or I.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But what about principles? Are you not teaching your congregation about spiritual maturity, growing in the faith and becoming more like Christ?

In our church, our pastors will teach about discernment, putting right things into our lives, dealing with individual struggles and teaching that our individual struggles will not always be what others struggle with and thus our "boundaries" might not be another's boundaries. No need to teach that everyone should go to the movies but instead teach about not judging those who are free to live in a way that they feel is pleasing to God and not stumbling at other's actions.

I don't know - that's the way I see it at least. If I had to worry about every little thing that MIGHT cause someone else to stumble would cause me to never leave my home and even that might cause others to stumble because of thoughts of what we may be doing at home (or thinking I'm wrong for even OWNING a house).

17. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Don't go into the grocery store either. A person weaker in the faith might think you are purchasing wine or beer. Oh, maybe you can just drive to another town to buy your groceries? That would be a mature and responsible method of dealing with it.

18. stilllearning

As i said..........

You also have a point there.

We can only do so much, to protect others.
    For my wife and I, we have decided that to go to the local theater, would be flaunting our freedoms a little too much, and are just wanting to be careful.

As for teaching them, that things like this are not sin, that comes at it’s own pace.
    There are much more important things that need to be taught first.

19. stilllearning

Undoubtedly.......you don’t understand.

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Do you know anyone in your congregation who feels going to the movies is a sin?